Arctic ice thins dramatically

the panic is not mine. water level is affected by ice melting on greenland for example. that is like pouring water into a bucket, the level will rise. already swimming ice will do nothing.

but if the oceans are warming, then the floating ice will melt, too. and if the oceans are warming there will be other consequences.

there is much misinformation which feeds panic but there is much misinformation to counter this "panic", too, see kittenkoder.

"Floating" ice is mostly "under water" ... that's why you still fail.

yeah about 90% of it is under water, as i explained to you earlier in another thread, glad you digested this lesson.

See? Eder is just a troll who has latched onto me like a leech ... since he's now repeating what I said a loooooooong time ago. ;)

can you give me a chance since I've never asked? if the water level is not affected by melting of ice, why is there such panic about Arctic ice melting? Thank you.

the panic is not mine. water level is affected by ice melting on greenland for example. that is like pouring water into a bucket, the level will rise. already swimming ice will do nothing.

but if the oceans are warming, then the floating ice will melt, too. and if the oceans are warming there will be other consequences.

there is much misinformation which feeds panic but there is much misinformation to counter this "panic", too, see kittenkoder.

so you are not on the Al Gore "bandwagon"?

i guess not, i don't think about this stuff that way. i think the alarmists are not helping, see greenpeace, and chris. makes it easier for people in denial to ridicule everything without trying to understand the argument.

"Floating" ice is mostly "under water" ... that's why you still fail.

yeah about 90% of it is under water, as i explained to you earlier in another thread, glad you digested this lesson.

See? Eder is just a troll who has latched onto me like a leech ... since he's now repeating what I said a loooooooong time ago. ;)

i am on your "ass", because you are an annoying bullshitter who accused others including me of having no clue about science while being totally wrong about science. this is too delicious to pass. so what about the water level? found it out yet?

Thank you Eder, for proving my opinion of you to be fact.

you are welcome. but you are still confusing opinion and fact. :clap2:

Nope, I don't. I have an asshole on my ass ... just wish it was only my asshole. You are trolling, almost everything I have stated as fact you eventually repeat then claim that I never said it. You are nothing original, just a simple minded (if any) troll, but thanks for playing.

Thank you Eder, for proving my opinion of you to be fact.

Nope, I don't. I have an asshole on my ass ... just wish it was only my asshole. You are trolling, almost everything I have stated as fact you eventually repeat then claim that I never said it. You are nothing original, just a simple minded (if any) troll, but thanks for playing.

thanks for lying, again.

thanks for lying, again.

Sorry, I am not ma Kettle. ;)

thanks for lying, again.

but, if you were a kettle, filled with water and ice cubes, would the water level sink, rise or stay the same after the ice magically disappeared by "melting". just to bring you back on track.

thanks for lying, again.

but, if you were a kettle, filled with water and ice cubes, would the water level sink, rise or stay the same after the ice magically disappeared by "melting". just to bring you back on track.

It would sink minutely ... according to chemistry and physics. Imperceptible on such a small scale, but it would drop. Of course ... you will now change your tune ... again, in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

can you give me a chance since I've never asked? if the water level is not affected by melting of ice, why is there such panic about Arctic ice melting? Thank you.

"Floating" ice is mostly "under water"
Yes, the exact amount of the original value of the water before it converted to the less dense state,
The out of water ice is the difference .When the ice melts the ice revert to its more dense state the" out of water" ice "disappears" and the water level remains the same.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS7Q4pNm1HM]YouTube - Everwonder Why Ice Floats on Water?[/ame]

Im staggered by the failure of some to not grasp this simple fact and perplexed that they are arguing against Al Gore cataclysmic visions.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKiq5EwkzDg]YouTube - Mr Wizard debunks ice caps melting will cause the shores to flood[/ame]
also the ice was contained by the walls of the glass
so they could put in more ice to make it seem to stay the same level
Sad.

It would sink minutely ... according to chemistry and physics. Imperceptible on such a small scale, but it would drop. Of course ... you will now change your tune ... again, in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

and can you explain why that would happen, and how long that sinking of the level (minutely) would last?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isWAUI4j1tQ]YouTube - Global Warming Bunk: Dissolving the Polar Ice Caps Fear[/ame]

"Floating" ice is mostly "under water"
Yes, the exact amount of the original value of the water before it converted to the less dense state,
The out of water ice is the difference .When the ice melts the ice revert to its more dense state the" out of water" ice "disappears" and the water level remains the same.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS7Q4pNm1HM]YouTube - Everwonder Why Ice Floats on Water?[/ame]

Im staggered by the failure of some to not grasp this simple fact and perplexed that they are arguing against Al Gore cataclysmic visions.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKiq5EwkzDg]YouTube - Mr Wizard debunks ice caps melting will cause the shores to flood[/ame]
also the ice was contained by the walls of the glass
so they could put in more ice to make it seem to stay the same level
Sad.

You have some serious comprehension error in here. DiveCon was dead on, all your "experiments" are on such a small scale you have to multiply the very slight changes by thousands to equate it to global, which according to real science (not bargain basement "Mr Wizard" crap) water expands when it's frozen, 90% of all ice on water is under the water, thus displacing the water by the 90% of the amount it has expanded, thus when it thaws it will "shrink" by that amount, lowering the water table by that same amount. It's logic, simple, and very easy to grasp, the fact that you don't grasp it is saddening, our schools are seriously failing now.

and can you explain why that would happen, and how long that sinking of the level (minutely) would last?

Yep, changing your tune again, now you are going to claim that you said that water expands when frozen first aren't you?

Yep, changing your tune again, now you are going to claim that you said that water expands when frozen first aren't you?

stop your compulsive lying for a second, if you can. i am changing no tune, i want to hear an explanation for your opinion. and i mentioned temperature change already, which might have a minute effect in a small vessel for a short time, in the ocean you are just shit out of luck with that caveat. but you did not present this, i did.

so where were we, ah. you being wrong.

stop your compulsive lying for a second, if you can. i am changing no tune, i want to hear an explanation for your opinion. and i mentioned temperature change already, which might have a minute effect in a small vessel for a short time, in the ocean you are just shit out of luck with that caveat. but you did not present this, i did.

I have already stated the science behind it in the thread, you ignore facts I post just because you have a few too many hamsters up your ass then accuse me of lying, the sad fact is it's you who lies. I will not dig those hamsters out for you, get it through your thick skull perv, I don't like you, period. Harassing me like this won't change that fact, but it's funny because you have lost all credibility now.

I have already stated the science behind it in the thread, you ignore facts I post just because you have a few too many hamsters up your ass then accuse me of lying, the sad fact is it's you who lies. I will not dig those hamsters out for you, get it through your thick skull perv, I don't like you, period. Harassing me like this won't change that fact, but it's funny because you have lost all credibility now.

so that is your concession, i guess. hey, i don't like you either, surprise.

still, laws of physic and chemistry don't care for these animosities among message board posters. one could say they don't give a fuck about that.

for the record, water level stays the same.

And can she explain why if she believes this can happen she is arguing against Al gores crazy shit instead of for it?
Science confirms the thermal energy of increased temperature of water result in an increase in expansion of the volume ,as the atomic activity increases creating an imperceptible rise not lowering of water level .

In the liquid state, most water molecules are associated in a polymeric structure—that is, chains of molecules connected by weak hydrogen bonds. Under the influence of thermal agitation, there is a constant breaking and reforming of these bonds. In the gaseous state, whether steam or water vapour, water molecules are largely independent of one another, and, apart from collisions, interactions between them are slight. Gaseous water, then, is largely monomeric—i.e., consisting of single molecules—although there occasionally occur dimers (a union of two molecules) and even some trimers (a combination of three molecules). In the solid state, at the other extreme, water molecules interact with one another strongly enough to form an ordered crystalline structure, with each oxygen atom collecting the four nearest of its neighbours and arranging them about itself in a rigid lattice. This structure results in a more open assembly, and hence a lower density, than the closely packed assembly of molecules in the liquid phase. For this reason, water is one of the few substances that is actually less dense in solid form than in the liquid state, dropping from 1,000 to 917 kilograms per cubic metre. It is the reason why ice floats rather than sinking, so that, during the winter, it develops as a sheet on the surface of lakes and rivers rather than sinking below the surface and accumulating from the bottom.

As water is warmed from the freezing point of 0° to 4°C (from 32° to 39°F), it contracts and becomes denser. This initial increase in density takes place because at 0°C a portion of the water consists of open-structured molecular arrangements similar to those of ice crystals. As the temperature increases, these structures break down and reduce their volume to that of the more closely packed polymeric structures of the liquid state. With further warming beyond 4° C, the water begins to expand in volume, along with the usual increase in intermolecular vibrations caused by thermal energy.

ice (solid water) :: Properties -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

You have some serious comprehension error in here. DiveCon was dead on, all your "experiments" are on such a small scale you have to multiply the very slight changes by thousands to equate it to global, which according to real science (not bargain basement "Mr Wizard" crap) water expands when it's frozen, 90% of all ice on water is under the water, thus displacing the water by the 90% of the amount it has expanded, thus when it thaws it will "shrink" by that amount, lowering the water table by that same amount. It's logic, simple, and very easy to grasp, the fact that you don't grasp it is saddening, our schools are seriously failing now.
You almost have it.
300.gif

The 10% that is not underwater, is what keeps the water level from not changing.
0 time a hundred bilion is still 0, no change is no change.
It is not the schools that have failed in this case.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back