Archaeologists Find Evidence of Neolithic Mega-Tsunami in Israel

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
“Tsunami events in antiquity had a profound influence on coastal societies,” said lead author Dr. Gilad Shtienberg from the Department of Anthropology in the Scripps Center for Marine Archaeology at the University of California, San Diego, and colleagues.

“6,000 years of historical records and geological data show that tsunamis are a common phenomenon affecting the eastern Mediterranean coastline, occurring at a rate of around 8 events per century in the Aegean region over the past 2,000 years and approximately 10 per century over the past 3,000 years in the Levant basin.”

“Most of these events are small and have only local impacts.”

In the study, the researchers found a large paleo-tsunami deposit (between 9,910 to 9,290 years ago) at the archaeological site of Tel Dor in northwest Israel.

That's kind of interesting.

I had also heard this theory before once. Could it have been some sort of tsunami that had taken out a Pharaoh's army while pursuing fleeing Israelites out of Egypt?

I had also heard this theory before once. Could it have been some sort of tsunami that had taken out a Pharaoh's army while pursuing fleeing Israelites out of Egypt?

That just might be it.

“6,000 years of historical records and geological data show that tsunamis are a common phenomenon affecting the eastern Mediterranean coastline, occurring at a rate of around 8 events per century in the Aegean region over the past 2,000 years and approximately 10 per century over the past 3,000 years in the Levant basin.”

So, you could say they come in waves?

I'm sure there is a scientific explanation for what happen to the Egyptian army.

For example, they could have been hot and gone for a swim and simply forgot to take off their heavy armor.

RE: Archaeologists Find Evidence of Neolithic Mega-Tsunami in Israel
⁜→ norwegen, et al,

BLUF: This is a case of a faith-based belief.

Those crazy drama-queen Israelites. Even their tidal waves were biblical.
(COMMENT)

Outside of the "Bible"
(three or four Books), there doesn't seem to be much of historical records of the many ancient stories (Septuagint or Vulgate). But again, that is all about faith. Clearly, the Abrahamic Deity common to the three primary religions has a different character in its action.

SIGIL PAIR.png

Most Respectfully,
R

It remains a mystery why the Exodus story appears in the Bible. There is no evidence for it anywhere else. What prompted the author(s) to write it may never be known. It should be obvious by now that such religious, faith-based tales cannot ever be authenticated the way historical facts can usually be. Such myths are rather an attempt to describe a broader scenario, one that is psychic and psychological and not necessarily 'real' in the sense of solid, material 'reality'. That is not bad or wrong if it is understood in a human and humane context. If such things are taken too much to heart, they can be destructive by blocking our connections to objectivity and truth.

I'm sure there is a scientific explanation for what happen to the Egyptian army.

For example, they could have been hot and gone for a swim and simply forgot to take off their heavy armor.

True. I'm sure that probably led to the whole spa thing with the mud bath and facial scrub. Egyptians were always ahead of their time.

Forum List

Back