AR 15 builds......... They've created a monster!

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Fell in love with the AR platform so far I have the store bought Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22, the 7.62x39 16" carbine I put together and a 5.56 NATO I put together.

Now I'm trying to talk myself out of building a 7.62x39 AR pistol (7 1/2" barrel) and/or a 350 Legend rifle (20" barrel)...........

As Head East said:

Save my life I'm goin' down for the last time!!

BCA In 350 Legend

99148046_1_x.jpg

AR pistol in 7.62x39 (7.5" barrel)

O7JMIgLs1BAyKqq2IQsuh0-pgxS0AizMgYnoTyzvdiM.jpg

How well does that AR 7.62 pistol shoot, realistically? It looks awesome, not much like a pistol, but awesome!

How well does that AR 7.62 pistol shoot, realistically? It looks awesome, not much like a pistol, but awesome!
I've seen vids where it's fired out of a pistol with a 10.5" barrel, ya loose a lot of velocity (to be expected) but the accuracy doesn't suffer and it still has good penetrating power, better than the 5.56 and the .223. It just doesn't have the flat trajectory range that the 5.56 and.223 have.

The reason it's called a pistol is due to AFT regs. Any firearm with a barrel shorter than 16" is considered a pistol length other than a shotgun. On the AR platform to make it a pistol it MUST have a stabilizing brace or blade (butt) or just the buffer tube with no blade or brace. If a rifle/carbine butt is attached or a vertical front grip installed then it becomes a Short Barreled Rifle which requires ATF approval (wait 9 months to a year) and pay the $200 tax stamp. All that has to be done BEFORE putting an SBR together or it's a felony.

Last edited:
Fell in love with the AR platform so far I have the store bought Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22, the 7.62x39 16" carbine I put together and a 5.56 NATO I put together.

Now I'm trying to talk myself out of building a 7.62x39 AR pistol (7 1/2" barrel) and/or a 350 Legend rifle (20" barrel)...........

As Head East said:

BCA In 350 Legend

99148046_1_x.jpg

Hey Rambo. You've never fired a shot to protect yourself or bring down tyrants. You're full of egotistical testosterone.
Admit it. It makes you feel tough.

As Head East said:

BCA In 350 Legend

99148046_1_x.jpg

I've built several in recent times. Most recently a 9x39mm AR pistol. The more you build the more you'll want to build but you seem to have already figured that out.

I've seen vids where it's fired out of a pistol with a 10.5" barrel, ya loose a lot of velocity (to be expected) but the accuracy doesn't suffer and it still has good penetrating power, better than the 5.56 and the .223. It just doesn't have the flat trajectory range that the 5.56 and.223 have.

The reason it's called a pistol is due to AFT regs. Any firearm with a barrel shorter than 16" is considered a pistol length other than a shotgun. On the AR platform to make it a pistol it MUST have a stabilizing brace or blade (butt) or just the buffer tube with no blade or brace. If a rifle/carbine butt is attached or a vertical front grip installed then it becomes a Short Barreled Rifle which requires ATF approval (wait 9 months to a year) and pay the $200 tax stamp. All that has to be done BEFORE putting an SBR together or it's a felony.
Looked exactly like an ultrashort barrel rifle. You aren't that much younger than me. You aren't going to be first on through a door clearing rooms either, so it is a novelty collector piece to you. You already know and have the flat trajectory answer, or in your case, multiple long-range flat trajectory answers. I figure this one isn't going much further than the back of your property where you do most of your shooting, and your not particularly worried about $200 tax stamp and 9 months for them to say, yep, we know you, thanks for the donation. I'm actually kind of surprised you don't have a class III ticket, already.

Looked exactly like an ultrashort barrel rifle. You aren't that much younger than me. You aren't going to be first on through a door clearing rooms either, so it is a novelty collector piece to you. You already know and have the flat trajectory answer, or in your case, multiple long-range flat trajectory answers. I figure this one isn't going much further than the back of your property where you do most of your shooting, and your not particularly worried about $200 tax stamp and 9 months for them to say, yep, we know you, thanks for the donation. I'm actually kind of surprised you don't have a class III ticket, already.
If I shot out to the back of my property, maybe 30 feet I'd have some really upset neighbors and city cops......... I shoot about a half hour east of me at the Founders Ranch range outside of Edgewood NM. At 67 with not so good knees, back and feet I'm not clearing any corners/rooms anytime soon if ever again........ I'm a collector and target shooter, paper and steel targets fear me as do any other inanimate objects that make their way onto the range...... As for class III, too rich for my blood but I've fired enough class III weapons when I was younger though I sure would love to get my hands on a m-60 just once to fire it downrange......... That would be fun, set up a row of watermelons and turn em into mush. :thup:

If I shot out to the back of my property, maybe 30 feet I'd have some really upset neighbors and city cops......... I shoot about a half hour east of me at the Founders Ranch range outside of Edgewood NM. At 67 with not so good knees, back and feet I'm not clearing any corners/rooms anytime soon if ever again........ I'm a collector and target shooter, paper and steel targets fear me as do any other inanimate objects that make their way onto the range...... As for class III, too rich for my blood but I've fired enough class III weapons when I was younger though I sure would love to get my hands on a m-60 just once to fire it downrange......... That would be fun, set up a row of watermelons and turn em into mush. :thup:
Had you pegged for a small desert land owner. You're not younger either. I turned 67 last month. With your weapons background, thought you might be a class III guy to aid in your collection and build hobby. Same here on firing experience. If you liked the m-60, you wouldn't after you got your hands on the m240. Much smoother and a hell of a lot easier to clean.:D

Had you pegged for a small desert land owner. You're not younger either. I turned 67 last month. With your weapons background, thought you might be a class III guy to aid in your collection and build hobby. Same here on firing experience. If you liked the m-60, you wouldn't after you got your hands on the m240. Much smoother and a hell of a lot easier to clean.:D
Nope, I'm a city/suburbanite kinda guy. Doesn't mean I'm not "field" wise I just prefer to be where everything I need is within a few miles of my house. It's funny, my dad was raised in the back woods of Wisconsin, started hunting when he was 9 years old, I'm the oldest of 4 boys and we are all city or suburbanite dwellers, I don't think any one of us have been hunting. We're military brats so mostly we lived in suburban areas or on base but all of us were Boy Scouts, we all loved hiking and camping, I used to rock climb and spelunk in Colorado, I used to play in the pacific Island jungles as a child. Nope, not a clueless city dweller.

Decided to go with the 7.5" complete upper in 7.62x39. Mainly because I have lots of 7.62 ammo and the ammo is cheaper than the 350 Legend and more available.
It's also a side charging which I like.

762x39-side-charging-ar-15-upper-547-r.jpg

Hey Rambo. You've never fired a shot to protect yourself or bring down tyrants. You're full of egotistical testosterone.

What a dipshit comment.

I won't speak for Ringel05, but I've used my gun twice to protect myself and my loved ones. My hot Puerto Rican girlfriend and I are alive today because I was armed and trained.

Did it make me feel "tough"? No. No, it didn't. It made me feel sad. It saddened me that some douchebag put me in a position where the only choice I had to remain alive was to kill him. I had to take someone's life to protect my own. He's the guy who thought he was tough, and he learned differently that day.

We've come to expect idiotic comments like yours. Such comments come from those who are afraid of things which look scary and make loud noises. Thankfully people like you don't really matter much...

You have destroyed the integrity of this thread and every AR-15 owner by using loose instead of lose. I would fire you if I could. I won't even comment on the bastardization of an AR in an AK caliber. Sacrilege!

You have destroyed the integrity of this thread and every AR-15 owner by using loose instead of lose. I would fire you if I could. I won't even comment on the bastardization of an AR in an AK caliber. Sacrilege!
Maybe I should have used "louse"....... :dunno:

What is it with shit stains like you that make you think that someone who enjoys collecting, building, and shooting firearms, then talking about it with like minded folks, means they're "...full of egotistical testosterone..." and that it makes them "feel tough?"

Is it ignorance? Jealousy? Did you lose your girlfriend to a firearms enthusiast? Or are you just a fucking asshole?

Forum List

Back