Apollo 13: a heroic failure.

• Banned
If the story of Apollo 13 had fallen into obscurity in 1995, in April 1970 the episode had captured the world’s imagination. It was followed on television networks by the largest worldwide audience ever assembled, with Pope Paul VI praying for the crew’s return – and 100,000 pilgrims at a Hindu festival in India doing likewise. No wonder: it seemed like a real-life human disaster was unfolding right in front of their eyes. No one really expected them to make it.

• Banned
^ But you know this already, thanks to Ron Howard’s film. Yet, even if that was a fictionalised version of real events, it was a deserved homage to a heroic failure, and one worth celebrating today. It reminds us that no matter how grim and hopeless circumstances appear, there can be a way out. Human beings are innate, genius problem-solvers.

One of my favourite movies, with a stellar well put together cast, special effects, and competent thoughtful direction.

It was also covered in the "From The Earth to the Moon" series on HBO in the late 90's. Mostly from the ground perspective.

• Banned
One of my favourite movies, with a stellar well put together cast, special effects, and competent thoughtful direction.

It was also covered in the "From The Earth to the Moon" series on HBO in the late 90's. Mostly from the ground perspective.

Yes, I’ve seen the documentaries. And various interviews with Jim Lovell.

The book goes into more detail than the movie about the root causes of the problems with Apollo 13. Good read.

Forum List

Back