Anyone Getting Ready for 2023 Garden?

whoisit

Gold Member
Jul 19, 2016
Time to get the soil ready and fertilizer if you make your own. Since Ukraine is not supplying us with fertilizer may have to get creative. I know manure from farm animals works, so does human urine in a pinch, although I 've never used it.

Ammonia is good to have around, called thunderstorm in a bottle, good source of nitrogen.
We are piling up rotten tree limbs the fungus on them are good for soil. We have plenty of VINES for green and leaves for brown.
Now if things go south and PTB come along at least we tried.

Last edited:
Time to get the soil ready and fertilizer if you make your own. Since Ukraine is not supplying us with fertilizer may have to get creative. I know manure from farm animals works, so does human urine in a pinch, although I 've never used it.

Amonioa qis good to have around, called thunderstorm in a bottle, good source of nitrogen.
We are piling up rotten tree limbs the fungus on them are good for soil. We have plenty of VINES for green and leaves for brown.
Now if things go south and PTB come along at least we tried.
leaves are another great source,,

I still have the remains of my 2022 garden I haven’t pulled up yet

Yes, and I can't wait to get to planting, though that won't happen for a few months yet.

Been adding to the compost pile since last year. And the other day I did a seed inventory. I am set

Yesterday I tuned under the soil and roots of the green's hubby planted last fall.
I used the garden fork and will try finish it today. At least do another third of it.
Also still saving compost and hubby cleaned out chicken pens added some of it to compost with leaves we raked up. Coffee grounds, kitchen etc.

I am growing 365 though it is only "technically still growing" over winter in January and February usually if you want to count garlic, leeks, and the like that are technically still green and alive out there. Have sweet peppers in pots under grow lights. If the cats haven't pee'd them to death by spring, I will set them out. More of an experiment to see if I can. Potatoes I have in card board boxes are already eyed up. Just hope they don't rot before late mid to late march when I plant them. Have bought some seeds. Plan to order a bunch more directly. Composting is a never ending chore around here so always doing that.

I'm looking at dwarf cherry tomato plants and seedless grape vines currently. I grew some Anaheim chilis last year that did real well but my jalapeno plants did not. I don't really use the Anaheim's for anything. I might try Scotch Bonnets.
I think next year I want one of these:

It's pretty and I have a plan B for that building. I have time.

Anybody ever use a champion tiller? Thinking of buying one. My trusty old craftsman tines are worn down and replacements are ungettable. I even contacted a couple place that custom makes tines who said they couldn't do it.

Not sure about the tarps, but going 'no dig' by using lots of mulch is (or will be) alot easier and better for the soil in the long run
mulch works good but the broad fork cracks the compacted soil instead of destroying all the micro life like a tiller does, the tarp is to kill the weeds when you dont have plants in it, or a garden cloth with holes cut for the plants which also keeps the weeds down,,

mulch works good but the broad fork cracks the compacted soil instead of destroying all the micro life like a tiller does, the tarp is to kill the weeds when you dont have plants in it, or a garden cloth with holes cut for the plants which also keeps the weeds down,,

The first couple of years of starting a no-dig.....is actually having to dig the soil to get things started & loosened up. Including mixing in a good layer of compost or other organic materials. After that, a good layer of mulch or compost should keep the weeds down, and help retain moisture and nutrients. Only walk in pathways so not to compact the soil where you plant

The first couple of years of starting a no-dig.....is actually having to dig the soil to get things started & loosened up. Including mixing in a good layer of compost or other organic materials. After that, a good layer of mulch or compost should keep the weeds down, and help retain moisture and nutrients. Only walk in pathways so not to compact the soil where you plant
you should never have to dig other than the depth for a single plant, the broad fork is what cracks the soil to allow moisture to get down deep and allow nutrients to rise to the surface without allowing the weed seed to come to the surface like with tilling,

as for mulch you need to be careful it doesnt have seeds in it,, horse manure is the worst unless its been properly composted,,

scale is a big factor,, I have 40 50' beds 30" wide and trying to mulch that would be a nightmare and why I use ground cloth with holes cut for plants,,

a good bed can take yrs to build,,

you should never have to dig other than the depth for a single plant, the broad fork is what cracks the soil to allow moisture to get down deep and allow nutrients to rise to the surface without allowing the weed seed to come to the surface like with tilling,

as for mulch you need to be careful it doesnt have seeds in it,, horse manure is the worst unless its been properly composted,,

scale is a big factor,, I have 40 50' beds 30" wide and trying to mulch that would be a nightmare and why I use ground cloth with holes cut for plants,,

a good bed can take yrs to build,,

You have (40) 50ft beds????? WOW, Then the cover cloth would work best for you. You must sell a bunch or have a really big family to feed

Forum List

Back