Anyone Getting Ready for 2023 Garden?

Most who have gardened will know these, but for a refresher, and the newbies;

Planning a garden? Here's a step-by-step guide to start off on the right foot​

If you're looking for gardening tips, one great way to get your soil ready is to use natural fertilizer options. As you mentioned, manure from farm animals can be a great source of nutrients for your plants. Additionally, compost made from food scraps and yard waste can also be an effective fertilizer option.

If you're in a pinch, human urine can also be used as a fertilizer, although it's important to do your research and use caution when handling it. Another option to consider is ammonia, which is a good source of nitrogen and is sometimes referred to as "thunderstorm in a bottle."

In addition to using natural fertilizers, you can also improve your soil health by using organic matter like rotten tree limbs and vines. The fungus on the tree limbs and green leaves from the vines can help add nutrients to your soil and promote healthy plant growth.

Overall, these gardening tips can help you create a healthy environment for your plants to thrive, even if you don't have access to traditional fertilizers. Remember to experiment and find what works best for your garden, and don't be afraid to get creative with your fertilizer options.

If you're looking for gardening tips, one great way to get your soil ready is to use natural fertilizer options. As you mentioned, manure from farm animals can be a great source of nutrients for your plants. Additionally, compost made from food scraps and yard waste can also be an effective fertilizer option.

If you're in a pinch, human urine can also be used as a fertilizer, although it's important to do your research and use caution when handling it. Another option to consider is ammonia, which is a good source of nitrogen and is sometimes referred to as "thunderstorm in a bottle."

In addition to using natural fertilizers, you can also improve your soil health by using organic matter like rotten tree limbs and vines. The fungus on the tree limbs and green leaves from the vines can help add nutrients to your soil and promote healthy plant growth.

Overall, these gardening tips can help you create a healthy environment for your plants to thrive, even if you don't have access to traditional fertilizers. Remember to experiment and find what works best for your garden, and don't be afraid to get creative with your fertilizer options.
HI, Jack. Good gardening tips, but I can see by your avatar, you don't believe in protecting your onion. Get a hat, dude, before you put somebody's eye out in the bright sun. Happy gardening is safe gardening.:cool:

This friggin cold snap is delaying planting.
I have a couple pepper plants, beans and tomato plants still in the planter patiently waiting.
I seeded them too early, new at this. I seeded on March 3rd. I should have waited till maybe April 3rd.

This friggin cold snap is delaying planting.
I have a couple pepper plants, beans and tomato plants still in the planter patiently waiting.
I seeded them too early, new at this. I seeded on March 3rd. I should have waited till maybe April 3rd.

We have a greenhouse that is constantly working, but yeah, we still have feet of snow over the rest of the garden.

We have a greenhouse that is constantly working, but yeah, we still have feet of snow over the rest of the garden.
Southern Indiana here... tomato planting time is the 3rd week of April. Right now.
But it got down to 31 last night, stupid cold for this time of year. It is not going to break 60 again till Wednesday. It was 84 last Wednesday.

supposed to get around 39 tomorrow night. Hope it doesn't get my maters and peppers already planted. Too many to cover.

Once again it seems Spring has come rather early here and grass and weeds growing like crazy while distracted with trying to get veggie garden plots in order and planted.
Got tomatoes into their compacted 'straw bale'(from last year) beds, and getting one of the corn&beans beds cleared of weeds and the corn planted.

Interesting bonus, wife has discovered a couple of locations hwere we have a bunch of morel mushrooms growing and have had them with dinner a couple of times now. Will try to keep these beds going.
Wiki page on morels;

I done gots my starts of herbs and done planted my bush beans along with two marijuana plant starters... More to plant this weekend and next......

0a7c18a4c49af1c6977aa62ccff2f4be.jpg

A fair amount of my spring plantings are in the ground already. May add a few odds and ends to try something new. I am doing a purple bush bean instead of blue lakes this years. The blue lakes are not producing that well the last few years. Have also decided to try lemon squash instead of the crook neck variety. Switching to lemon cukes really improved the production there so figured why not.

I went with a straw bale garden this year. We had to remove a huge hickory tree from our backyard last summer. So this is the first year I have enough sun in the yard to grow tomatoes.

I have 6 plants and 4 varieties doing well. Late start, but they plants are growing very well.

I went with a straw bale garden this year. We had to remove a huge hickory tree from our backyard last summer. So this is the first year I have enough sun in the yard to grow tomatoes.

I have 6 plants and 4 varieties doing well. Late start, but they plants are growing very well.

You should be fine. Your tomatoes will just come in a little later. Hopefully you planted some indeterminant ones. If you you should have fresh maters through October.

You should be fine. Your tomatoes will just come in a little later. Hopefully you planted some indeterminant ones. If you you should have fresh maters through October.

I only have one plant that is not an indeterminate. So once they start bearing, I will have them until the first cold snap.

I only have one plant that is not an indeterminate. So once they start bearing, I will have them until the first cold snap.

You should still be fine with the determinant one if you bought live plants. Once temps start into the 90's regularly it will hit the pause buttons on new fruit until it cools down some usually. That will be the end of the determinant one's production most likely for you.

We start our tomatoes from seed, in cups, indoors and under grow lights. About late March. Put the @ 6" plants into the bales/ground about a month ago, once frost no longer to happen. They are doing fine so far. This is our usual drill for years.

This article is another testimony on what is known as layer or lasagna gardening. Cover your plot with cardboard and compost plus soil. Holds weeds in check and gets you off to a low maintenance garden.

I (Basically) Stopped Weeding Thanks to This Game-Changing Gardening Method​

Tilling is out. ‘No Dig’ is in.

This article is another testimony on what is known as layer or lasagna gardening. Cover your plot with cardboard and compost plus soil. Holds weeds in check and gets you off to a low maintenance garden.

I (Basically) Stopped Weeding Thanks to This Game-Changing Gardening Method​

Tilling is out. ‘No Dig’ is in.
charles is one of the leading pioneers in small scale production farming,, garden tools sold today are based on his designs

Forum List

Back