Anyone ever walked their cat?

I walk my cat every day.

I walk around the grounds and the cat takes that walk with me. Naturally it pretends that it's not walking with me and just happens to be where I am, but you know how prideful cats are.

No leash for the cat of course.

FYI no leash for the dog, either, when I stay on the editec compound.

I walk my cat every day.

I walk around the grounds and the cat takes that walk with me. Naturally it pretends that it's not walking with me and just happens to be where I am, but you know how prideful cats are.

No leash for the cat of course.

FYI no leash for the dog, either, when I stay on the editec compound.

Now I have done that. There's just something about a leash and a cat that don't go together.

I put a halter on fatso yesterday and just let him walk around the house to get used to it.. Then later I added the leash and took him outside,, he didn't much like that, just hunkered down on his belly..he's old so he may never get used to it.

I put a halter on fatso yesterday and just let him walk around the house to get used to it.. Then later I added the leash and took him outside,, he didn't much like that, just hunkered down on his belly..he's old so he may never get used to it.

You can't teach old cats new tricks.

Come to think of it, you can't teach cats a damned thing.

They teach you and you'd damned well better learn quick, too, if you don't want your sofa torn to shreds.

I have two cats which I've trained from an early age to wear a harness and walk leashed. They do great.

Here's what I did:

I put the harnesses on them and gave them treats for getting through the process for about week or so to associate that wearing leashes is a positive thing. I didn't take them out on walks or anything, I just did it to get them used to it. They didn't seem bothered by wearing a harness. Now they come running when I get the harnesses out and sit there patienty while I suit'em up.

Next, I let them outside under my close supervision. They had to wear their harnesses to go outside. I also bought some 4mm climbing cordellette (you could use anything but I went with 4mm cordellete because its lightweight but not too thin - like parachute cord - to be uncomfortable for me to hold onto) and made a leash with a small screw-locking carabiner that I bought at REI (though you could buy them at a hardware store) which I clip to their harness loops. Then I just let them run around free but with a leash dragging behind them to get used to being outside like that. When I let them out now (since I live just north of downtown Denver in a busy inner city area) I keep them tethered to a tent stake in the yard with about 15 feet of parachute cord. They don't seem to mind. They do like being off leash better, but they take what they can get. When I move to Montana and live in a rural area, they'll get to roam free.

Next I held the leash and followed them around the yard. I didn't force them to follow me as they will resist if pulled. Instead let them lead the way around the yard and just follow behind to get them used to that.

Taking them out of the yard is tough. Don't pick times of the day which are busy, like when people are getting home from work, etc. Cats like early mornings and twilight and feel more comfortable at those times of day being outside. Let them lead the way and just follow behind them. Don't expect to do some serious mileage or even go a few feet beyond the fence at first. I also would carry them a ways and then let them go back to the yard while I followed behind. Eventually, as they got comfortable, they started to walk further and further.

Remember cats aren't dogs and won't just go go go. They like to stop and smell everything, rub against fence posts, roll around on the cement or on dirt, get easily spooked, trot along at a pace slower than yours, etc. And if they get tired or hot, they won't move. And remember to be generous with the treats.

I've taken my cats hiking (and its easier off leash) in the Rockies and they LOVE it - they've even climbed an 11,000 foot peak. They follow slowly and still investigate everything, but if I get 20 feet away they stop doing whatever it is they're doing and will rush up to follow me. By doing this they've gotten better at being walked on leashes. I've taken them on an overnight backpacking trip as well and they hiked they whole way to the lake (it was only a mile and a half). Dogs off leash is the biggest hazard so I try to be aware of other people and animals around my cats so I can quickly pick them up and move away from the other people or dogs. Other than that my cats are totally extreme, er whatever, dude.

I'm currently training them to ride on my shoulders and backpack. Its tough but treats really work. Chloe, who is really furry, will be my skiin' cat - not down hill, just touring.

My sister's dogs and one of her cats hunt cooperatively. Rabbits and moles and such.

My previous dog (mutt) and my sister's previous dog (heeler/aussie shepherd mix) did that. They got bigger stuff like possums and coons too though.

But cats and dogs hunting together - that's pretty amazing.
It's not the first time I've seen it. I watched an Italian shepherd dog and a cat sniff out a field once. The cat in front and the dog behind, till they got to a rabbit hole and sat and waited. It was almost like the cat was teaching the dog.

I spent $33 today on two harnesses and matching leashes. The hardest part was getting the harness on. One of the cats (age 2) didn't have much trouble, and even did okay 'walking'. The other (age 3): total disaster. I'm hoping it'll get easier over time.

I am sorry, but this is funny as heck. You spent 33 bucks to take your cats for a walk? :lol::lol:

It will not get easier, they will attack you in your sleep :lol: They are planning your demise as we speak :lol:

I will pray for you :lol:

Why would you want to walk a cat?

They used to be indoor/outdoor cats until they started bringing in too many critters. They keep crying to go outside, so we decided to try them on a leash. I'm happy to say it's going very well now. They get excited when they see the harness because they know it's time to go outside. One almost acts like a dog. I'm sure the other cats in the neighborhood think of them as traitors! :lol:

I spent $33 today on two harnesses and matching leashes. The hardest part was getting the harness on. One of the cats (age 2) didn't have much trouble, and even did okay 'walking'. The other (age 3): total disaster. I'm hoping it'll get easier over time.

I am sorry, but this is funny as heck. You spent 33 bucks to take your cats for a walk? :lol::lol:

It will not get easier, they will attack you in your sleep :lol: They are planning your demise as we speak :lol:

I will pray for you :lol:

Thanks. Your prayers obviously worked!

They used to be indoor/outdoor cats until they started bringing in too many critters. They keep crying to go outside, so we decided to try them on a leash. I'm happy to say it's going very well now. They get excited when they see the harness because they know it's time to go outside. One almost acts like a dog. I'm sure the other cats in the neighborhood think of them as traitors! :lol:

Or slaves :eusa_angel:

I am just kidding Xsited

Last edited:

Imagine what the other HUMAN neighbors think of the cat owners! :lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qit3ALTelOo&feature=channel_page]YouTube - The Mean Kitty Song[/ame]

For all the cat lovers, and haters :tongue:

23743577.JPG

Echo...is this one of your 7 traits of irresistable men?

Forum List

Back