Anyone ever walked their cat?

xsited1

Agent P
Sep 15, 2008
Little Rock, AR
I spent $33 today on two harnesses and matching leashes. The hardest part was getting the harness on. One of the cats (age 2) didn't have much trouble, and even did okay 'walking'. The other (age 3): total disaster. I'm hoping it'll get easier over time.

I spent $33 today on two harnesses and matching leashes. The hardest part was getting the harness on. One of the cats (age 2) didn't have much trouble, and even did okay 'walking'. The other (age 3): total disaster. I'm hoping it'll get easier over time.

Did the older one do the "limp kitty" thing? Then all you can do is release them or drag 'em along behind you. :eusa_shhh:

Cats on a leash? What's next . . . .

1202360.jpg

Now dragging cats sounds fun !!! :clap2:

They lash their tail and glare at you. People glare at you too. Not really all that fun.

Or the psycho kitty that runs to the end of the leash, then turns and fights it. you'd think they would enjoy a walk outside ...

Did the older one do the "limp kitty" thing? Then all you can do is release them or drag 'em along behind you. :eusa_shhh:

The younger one did the "limp kitty" thing. (That's a great way to describe it.) I would never ever drag her. She did okay for the first time. She was really happy when I took the harness off.

I didn't have the neck part of the harness small enough for the older cat and it slipped past her front legs onto her mid-section. She was not happy. I was afraid she was going to claw me, but I eventually got it off. Now she's in one of our bedrooms looking out the window and she doesn't want to have anything to do with me. She'll probably trip me in the morning causing me to break my leg.

The younger one did the "limp kitty" thing. (That's a great way to describe it.) I would never ever drag her. She did okay for the first time. She was really happy when I took the harness off.

I didn't have the neck part of the harness small enough for the older cat and it slipped past her front legs onto her mid-section. She was not happy. I was afraid she was going to claw me, but I eventually got it off. Now she's in one of our bedrooms looking out the window and she doesn't want to have anything to do with me. She'll probably trip me in the morning causing me to break my leg.

If she does, we'll keep you company here while you recuperate. :tongue:

Speaking of putting a cat on a leash and clawing you.......... old classic.:lol::lol::lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR_LHlFwlhk]YouTube - Pinky the Cat[/ame]

Speaking of putting a cat on a leash and clawing you.......... old classic.:lol::lol::lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR_LHlFwlhk]YouTube - Pinky the Cat[/ame]

That guy deserved that. He obviously hasn't handled too many cats. :lol:

I think this cat's owner suggested putting a harness on her, I don't think she liked the idea.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0Ys0J4rvFQ&NR=1]YouTube - Don't pet this Kitty!! Pt. 2[/ame]

Last edited:
I take one of my cats to a park on a leash every so often. She follows the dog so it works out well. She adapted to the harness fairly easily once she understood putting it on meant a fun time ahead. Mostly I have her on it and tethered to the porch while I do yard work or hang out front with my neighbors. I've never even bothered with my other cat. She is too skittish.

One thing I advise is to make sure the harness is on tight enough. Mine escaped a few times.

Good luck!

I take one of my cats to a park on a leash every so often. She follows the dog so it works out well. She adapted to the harness fairly easily once she understood putting it on meant a fun time ahead. Mostly I have her on it and tethered to the porch while I do yard work or hang out front with my neighbors. I've never even bothered with my other cat. She is too skittish.

One thing I advise is to make sure the harness is on tight enough. Mine escaped a few times.

Good luck!
I used to have a cat that would just follow us when we took our dog for a walk...she'd stay about six feet behind the dog (she was terrified of him), no leash needed.

Good luck!

Good advice about the tight harness! We're going to try it again tonight.

The cats used to be indoor/outdoor, but when they decided to bring in every sort of critter known to man (still living, of course, and dropped upon entry so they could find a nice hiding place under our bed), we kept them in. I'd like for them to get out some since they're always crying to get out. I'm hoping this will be the solution.

Good luck!
I used to have a cat that would just follow us when we took our dog for a walk...she'd stay about six feet behind the dog (she was terrified of him), no leash needed.
My sister's dogs and one of her cats hunt cooperatively. Rabbits and moles and such.

Good luck!
My sister's dogs and one of her cats hunt cooperatively. Rabbits and moles and such.

Our dogs want to eat our cats, so unfortunately that is not an option. It's a great idea if we had smaller and less terroritorial dogs.

My previous dog (mutt) and my sister's previous dog (heeler/aussie shepherd mix) did that. They got bigger stuff like possums and coons too though.

But cats and dogs hunting together - that's pretty amazing.

Forum List

Back