Anyone else have to work through Independence Day?

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
I did. I had $728.79 worth of Ebay auctions that closed this morning, and they're not gonna package themselves. One of them was an early 1900's cast iron combination safe. That weighed exactly 64 pounds packaged. It brought the starting bid of $500, but those have sold as high as $1200 before inflation and high gas prices set in. I only had $20 in it, so no big deal. One of the shipping quotes I got a request for was from a guy in California. It would have cost over $160 to ship that USPS, or a little over $142 through UPS Ground. Luckily the winning bidder lived one state over. Ebay's pretty good but the fees, federal, and state taxes can take bite out of your profits. You can do ok if you buy low and sell high. But you won't get rich because some of that goes back into buying more stuff, gas to drive all over the place, meals, shipping supplies, most of which are deductible. But even if you don't make a lot of money, you end up with a lot of cool stuff to play with.

safe.jpg

I thank the food delivery drivers who are working today.

I ordered a chicken sandwich and some fries and an iced tea from a fast food restaurant.

I typed in a $20 tip for bringing me some food.
Usually, I always tip a flat $15, but today I felt that the driver deserved a bit more.

That's not work. Get back to me when you have to actually work on July 4th. What you are doing is simply nothing more than a hobby where you make money.

Dude, I'm retired. I can make as much or little as I want, smoke and drink while I'm working, and set my own hours. I get to drive all over the countryside and buy up things you've never seen before. Some of it I keep, like the cheap guns I find everywhere. Some of I use, and some of it I sell. And most of it I get for pennies on the dollar. And yes, I do pay taxes on everything. But the greatest pleasure is hooking people up with things you won't find at any store. Things that reconnect them with their past. Things they treasure. You just have to know what you're looking for, and have to have a sense of what's valuable, meaningful, and desirable. You can't just throw any shit out there and expect someone to buy it. Everyone has their niche. Mine is military collectibles from WW1, WW2, and the Vietnam War, and it takes a lot of digging. All through the pandemic, I hit probably over a thousand garages sales, estate sales, auctions, and flea markets. I never wore a mask, I didn't get the jab, and I didn't die.

Last edited:
I thank the food delivery drivers who are working today.

I ordered a chicken sandwich and some fries and an iced tea from a fast food restaurant.

I typed in a $20 tip for bringing me some food.
Usually, I always tip a flat $15, but today I felt that the driver deserved a bit more.
I send delivery drivers to false addresses. That way they spend their holiday making no tips.

Dude, I'm retired. I can make as much or little as I want, smoke and drink while I'm working, and set my own hours. I get to drive all over the countryside and buy up things you've never seen before. Some of it I keep, like the cheap guns I find everywhere. Some of I use, and some of it I sell. And most of it I get for pennies on the dollar. And yes, I do pay taxes on everything. But the greatest pleasure is hooking people up with things you won't find at any store. Things that reconnect them with their past. Things they treasure. You just have to know what you're looking for, and have to have a sense of what's valuable, meaningful, and desirable. You can't just throw any shit out there and expect someone to buy it. Everyone has their niche. Mine is military collectibles from WW1, WW2, and the Vietnam War, and it takes a lot of digging. All through the pandemic, I hit probably over a thousand garages sales, estate sales, auctions, and flea markets. I never wore a mask, I didn't get the jab, and I didn't die.
You're also a flaming homo.

Quiet day at home. My small town had their fireworks display last night. When I heard it start up, I thought "Holy shit, if that's what they do on the 3rd, imagine what it's going to be like on the 4th!"

And today has been almost totally quiet! Hope there's minimal additional drama, for the sake of my little dog who, like most dogs, doesn't like all that noise!

Quiet day at home. My small town had their fireworks display last night. When I heard it start up, I thought "Holy shit, if that's what they do on the 3rd, imagine what it's going to be like on the 4th!"

And today has been almost totally quiet! Hope there's minimal additional drama, for the sake of my little dog who, like most dogs, doesn't like all that noise!

Isn't that weird? My liberal Biden-voting neighbor across the highway had her 70th birthday this weekend. Her kids and grandkids were in for the weekend, and they had a big get-together. I always figured the rest of her family to be libs too, but they were popping off rounds and blowing up tannerite all day yesterday. Then they started shooting off some pretty pricey fireworks and went on until midnight. I know some of those fireworks were $20 a pop, and they went through hundreds of dollars worth.

Not a single peep today, though.

Isn't that weird? My liberal Biden-voting neighbor across the highway had her 70th birthday this weekend. Her kids and grandkids were in for the weekend, and they had a big get-together. I always figured the rest of her family to be libs too, but they were popping off rounds and blowing up tannerite all day yesterday. Then they started shooting off some pretty pricey fireworks and went on until midnight. I know some of those fireworks were $20 a pop, and they went through hundreds of dollars worth.

Not a single peep today, though.
Weird. I wonder what's up. Our professional show was provided by the Legion Post. They use my donations well!

I did. I had $728.79 worth of Ebay auctions that closed this morning, and they're not gonna package themselves. One of them was an early 1900's cast iron combination safe. That weighed exactly 64 pounds packaged. It brought the starting bid of $500, but those have sold as high as $1200 before inflation and high gas prices set in. I only had $20 in it, so no big deal. One of the shipping quotes I got a request for was from a guy in California. It would have cost over $160 to ship that USPS, or a little over $142 through UPS Ground. Luckily the winning bidder lived one state over. Ebay's pretty good but the fees, federal, and state taxes can take bite out of your profits. You can do ok if you buy low and sell high. But you won't get rich because some of that goes back into buying more stuff, gas to drive all over the place, meals, shipping supplies, most of which are deductible. But even if you don't make a lot of money, you end up with a lot of cool stuff to play with.

View attachment 666132

Not me. On the ebay thing though, I've met a few people who just go around buying anything on clearance and selling it online at originalish prices that generate some steady cash flow. One of my cousin's wives makes a mint online retailing clothes in her e store front. Doesn't even have a bricks and mortar store unless her basement counts. She has a couple employees to help her she stays so busy. Crazy times we live in.

Blacklisted from what? Papa John's? How will their children ever receive nutricious food?

Not only will now these people have a hard time ordering stuff once they get blacklisted by fast food places that all circulate a list of deadbeats having to now prove they never stiffed the driver, but you've raised the cost of doing business now on the pizza shop who had to absorb the loss and pass it onto all their paying customers in higher food costs! Idiot.

Forum List

Back