Anyone doing Paleo diet/lifestyle

There is no doubt, in a few months someone will come up with another 'cool' sounding name (and that's all you need) and the likes of you will convert like members of some cult. You'll buy the book, the DVD, the T-shirt, etc. and make someone one temporarily wealthy. Baaaaaaa!!!!

Answer my question, please.

And I'm not making anyone rich on what I eat because I don't buy any food from a diet company.

It costs nothing more to eat a diet with less grain in it than it does to buy nothing but bread and oatmeal

Last edited:
There is no doubt, in a few months someone will come up with another 'cool' sounding name (and that's all you need) and the likes of you will convert like members of some cult. You'll buy the book, the DVD, the T-shirt, etc. and make someone one temporarily wealthy. Baaaaaaa!!!!

Answer my question, please.

And I'm not making anyone rich on what I eat because I don't buy any food from a diet company.

It costs nothing more to eat a diet with less grain in it than it does to buy nothing but bread and oatmeal

This is true. Grains and carbs in general make you hungrier too, if you get carbs under control, you naturally start eating less. Whereas before when you added a baked potato to your steak dinner, you might have been able to consume the entire steak but when you reduce carbs, you eat less protein.

As for fruits and veggies, eat the non starchy veggies and drink lots of water.

If you do this diet you should hunt and gather your own food, otherwise it is just a silly fad diet, much like the vegan diet.

Plus you've got to eat eyeballs and bone marrow.

Yum!

Another cool thing about this way of eating: Less garbage!
I have two 55 gallon trash cans that I used to fill up almost all the way every week. Now that my wife and I eat Paleo we will fill one garbage can maybe halfway up in one week. Why is that? Primal food has significantly less packaging. It's the junk food packaging that fills up your garbage cans and our landfills.

Another cool thing about this way of eating: Less garbage!
I have two 55 gallon trash cans that I used to fill up almost all the way every week. Now that my wife and I eat Paleo we will fill one garbage can maybe halfway up in one week. Why is that? Primal food has significantly less packaging. It's the junk food packaging that fills up your garbage cans and our landfills.
Maybe. But raising all that meat is labor intensive and polluting, as is transporting it.

So, if cavemen had antibiotics they would have lived to 70-80?

The notion that caveman died very young is one of those myths carried around without anybody that use this argument having any data on it. It’s just part of the general zeitgeist and almost nobody questions it, a bit like the notion that saturated fats will clog your arteries.

If you go down and look at the evidence, you’ll find that people of the paleolithic lived much longer than most people think.

In the paleolithic, the median life expectancy is skewed in a direction because of so many children dying at birth or shortly thereafter. If you have a look at this article from Wikipedia, you’ll learn that if somebody made it to 15 years old, his life expectancy would jump to 39 years old. Then, if you make it to 39, chances where good you would make it until 54 years old.

Only in the last century have we started to have a much longer life expectancy. We also saw a major decrease in life expectancy right around when agriculture was adopted massively. At some point, people where expected to live no more then 18 years. Along with agriculture came along a lot of diseases, wars, famines and inequalities

The reason why we live longer today is not because we have a better diet, but because people have access to medical assistance, urgent care and most infectious diseases are now well controlled in developed countries. We are now also safe from the dangers of nature like predators, starvation and accidents which where the source of most deaths in the paleolithic.

In the last century, we became really good at making people survive longer, but certainly not thrive. When caveman died of old age, he would be healthy and active up to the very end and we certainly can’t say that of people today.

Without medical assistance people with cancer, heart disease, diabetes, kidneys problems, liver problems and a host of other conditions would not survive for long and our life expectancy would be much shorter

Have considered this some since I was first introduced to Marks Daily Apple by lewrockwell.com.

I do like my cornbread with my peas. Other than that, most of this seems like a tasty way to live.

If you do this diet you should hunt and gather your own food, otherwise it is just a silly fad diet, much like the vegan diet.

Yum!

Why? Do you kill every cow and chicken you eat?

The term hunter gatherer refers to the types of food people used to eat not how they got them.

and Vegan diets have been around too long to be called a fad.

What is it you people have so invested in the manufacture of grains and dairy that anyone opting to eat little or no grains and dairy is somehow a kook?

Have considered this some since I was first introduced to Marks Daily Apple by lewrockwell.com.

I do like my cornbread with my peas. Other than that, most of this seems like a tasty way to live.

Exactly my point.

I eat a very high protein, low to moderate fat and extremely low carb diet. I do that because after years of trying all kinds of combinations it's what I feel the best doing.

But I am still going to have pancakes or biscuits and sausage gravy every once in a while.

Yum!

The term hunter gatherer refers to the types of food people used to eat not how they got them.

What is it you people have so invested in the manufacture of grains and dairy that anyone opting to eat little or no grains and dairy is somehow a kook?
Lol at the part I bolded.

I'm not invested in anything beyond the fact that extremist diets are stupid, imo.

Yum!

I'm not invested in anything beyond the fact that extremist diets are stupid, imo.

Why do you consider the diet humans consumed for 2.5 million years extreme??

A few reasons. One, we only can guess at what they ate. Two, recent research has shown that they ate more grains than we thought. But the biggest reason is that cavemen ate whatever they could get their hands on. They'd have been stupid not to. There "health" however you are defining it was more likely due to the simple fact that they couldn't overeat because there was no abundance of extra food.

Yum!

What's extreme about eating lots of fruits, vegetables meats and nuts?

Or is it extreme because it's not a diet based on grains and dairy?

A few reasons. One, we only can guess at what they ate. Two, recent research has shown that they ate more grains than we thought. But the biggest reason is that cavemen ate whatever they could get their hands on. They'd have been stupid not to. There "health" however you are defining it was more likely due to the simple fact that they couldn't overeat because there was no abundance of extra food.

We do know what was NOT available to eat. Dairy, refined sugar, highly processed foods, refined grains and cereals, salt, processed vegetable oil. These foods make up about 70% of our modern diets.

If you merely stopped eating anything with more than one ingredient on the label, you'd be eating pretty much a paleo style diet.

There's nothing "extreme" about it.

In my opinion, a diet is something one does for awhile to lose those extra pounds and once the desired weight is met, one usually goes back to eating habits they had before starting the diet.

I see this Paleo diet as a way of life, not something I'll do for a period of time. I started a couple of weeks back, not knowing it was referred to as a Paleo / Caveman diet until I happened across this thread. I attended a seminar where insulin levels were discussed and how cutting out sugars and carbs could make a huge difference. I do not have diabetes, I do not take any medications at all, I just want to live a healthier lifestyle. I am getting back to my desired weight and I do exercise at the gym as often as I can. Usually 4-5 times a week. I drink glass after glass of water and I journal each day. On top of that I meditate daily, flooding my subconscious with positive affirmations which aid in changing the way I think about myself and food.

In my opinion, a diet is something one does for awhile to lose those extra pounds and once the desired weight is met, one usually goes back to eating habits they had before starting the diet.

I see this Paleo diet as a way of life, not something I'll do for a period of time. I started a couple of weeks back, not knowing it was referred to as a Paleo / Caveman diet until I happened across this thread. I attended a seminar where insulin levels were discussed and how cutting out sugars and carbs could make a huge difference. I do not have diabetes, I do not take any medications at all, I just want to live a healthier lifestyle. I am getting back to my desired weight and I do exercise at the gym as often as I can. Usually 4-5 times a week. I drink glass after glass of water and I journal each day. On top of that I meditate daily, flooding my subconscious with positive affirmations which aid in changing the way I think about myself and food.

Great post. It is a wonderful lifestyle. It has helped my arthritis, something I was not expecting. I suffered from shoulder and hip pain for several years. After transitioning to paleo the pain soon went away completely. Another plus is the general feeling of well being that results from this paleo specific diet and exercise. Thanks!

Great post. It is a wonderful lifestyle. It has helped my arthritis, something I was not expecting. I suffered from shoulder and hip pain for several years. After transitioning to paleo the pain soon went away completely. Another plus is the general feeling of well being that results from this paleo specific diet and exercise. Thanks!

I've spent the first half of my life eating crap. Feeling like crap cuz I'm eating crap. Enough was enough. There is no reason at all I need to keep consuming useless calories, sugar, carbs and fats. I'm going on two months now and I feel fabulous! Really! I no longer have the insulin spikes that when I came down I felt hungry and craved sugar. And I no longer have 'I'm so bloody tired' moments through out my day. All of that is gone! My exercise has increased because I find myself wanting to exercise! I can easily spend a couple of hours at the gym. I just wish I had more opportunity to get there. I haven't felt deprived of anything because I know that I can eat anything I want. I just choose to eat healthy foods.

I've found many aspects of this lifestyle change I've made to be pretty incredible. The continuous battle going on inside my head is over and I tend not to think about this change I've made. I just do what I do and make better decisions now. The scale still matters, but not so much. I don't have a magic number as to where I'd like to be weight-wise. I'm confident that with this way of life, my body will automatically go to and settle at my ideal weight.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back