Anybody like the Beegees? is this song a modern version?

The Bee Gees pre-disco were frankly as good as anything around at the time. They were on "Band Stand" when I was a kid (and so were they) so I was fortunate to watch them "grow up". Their disco stuff was OK sorta I suppose but melody and harmony basically died with the Double White Album by the Beatles; a new direction that didn't really take me with it.

Now I like good rock'n'roll as much as anyone(ACDC does it for me) and of course the likes of Deep Purple, LedZ and others all had a great song or two; Bowie was very very good as well as a few others), but the "sound" of the Bee Gees and those around at the time(Folk based: See Donovan} really stopped about 1970. The Bee Gees transition (as well as some other survivors like The Beach Boys) wasn't really a let-down as much as just "OK; they gotta make a living".

Winco is correct; very few can put together a whole album of amazing songs. It was fantastic to listen to a local band and just be pleased by their sound (yes; moved as well). When New York Mining Disaster came out I had not heard anything like it; I must admit I even looked it up in an Atlas.

I haven't heard that song before (OP) but it isn't like the OLD Bee Gees and I am not really all that familiar with their disco stuff which I CAN say was technically very very good but not that pleasing to my ear. And yes; when I did go to discos occasionally (at inter-school dance nights: we didn't have proms) I would "bust a move or two" but I much preferred waltzing or grooving to Beatles, Nancy Sinatra, Zoot, Russel Morris etc. In fact every year there was a "Village" music event for charity over a whole day/night that showcased Aussie singers and Bands. Sorta stopped about 1975/6. I think disco killed it.

Greg

Ugh.. i can't believe you don't hear beegees in this song... "just say the word and I'll pop a SEEEAAT".. totally falsetto Beegees.
Many many songs have nicked a riff or two or a harmony from earlier songs (Folk was a fantastic source) but it does not an original sound make. 1:10 to 1:15 maybe a bit like NFever lead into: Then I get night fever, night fever
(That sweet city woman
She moved through the light
Controlling my mind and my soul
When you reach out for me, yeah
And the feelin' is right)

As I have said; they had to make a living.

Greg

Fun fact: the film of them clowning around is from where they grew up. I have my boats in a nearby Marina.

Bee Gees Way was opened by Barry; my wife and I stroll through it quite often.

Greg

Love the Geebees .
One of the greatest Pop Groups and Barry one of the greatest song/tune writers of his era .
Almost a Tragedy that he and Robin were in the same group because Robin's voice deserved more exposure .
Sentimentally , one of my favourite tracks is , How Deep is your Love . Brilliant arrangement but watch mega raver Maurice in the chorus sections . Cracks me up .

Want modern Bee Gees?
Try the Dee Gees. .

Okay, it's actually the Foo Fighters doing a tribute album to Disco.

Forum List

Back