" Any N. American game animal, <2 shots, .22 Hornet".

One shot; one kill.
No luck; all skill.

Weapons are indeed tools and and like other tools there is no one "best" or even type that is "best".

Disadvantages of autoloaders for post SHTF use:

1. They are the least reliable of all action types. More prone to jam. Less forgiving of dirty or corroded ammo.
2. They are in general the least accurate of action types.
3. They fling brass all over the countryside. Post SHTH the ability to reload ammo will be a critical skill. That brass will be valuable and expended brass is a very visible sign of your presence.
4. "Spray and Pray" wastes possibly irreplaceable ammo.

I hope the hell I'm never out hunting within 10 miles of this fool. ..... :cool:
I want to see this fool hunt a bear with that s***
My guess he has never seen a brown bear up close. Only a fool would use a round like a 223 on any bear.
Shit 7mm mag have been know to bounce of a bears scull.
Agreed. My question is this. I have a one shot 410 shotgun very small caliber but it's a long rifle or barrel. I've seen shows where a guy kept bears away with just a stick so if a black bear was coming at me couldn't I keep it away with just the barrel of the gun while screaming shoo bear? Let alone having a shotgun blast in its face. Then hold it off with the barrell hopefully load another shell.So my question is do you think I could fend off a bear with this rifle?

there's no reason whatsoever to waste your time and money on a single shot.Anything that single shots (or bolt actions) can' do in the field, the autorifles can do, and the autos can do lots of things that the single shots and bolt actions can never hope to achieve. The autos do it for less money, too, cause autorifle users are practical and bolt gun and single shot users are not. The gun makers know this and stick it to you. So you have to buy 2-3 rifles, just because you were too stupid to get an autorifle in the first place, or too big a snob/sucker

Waste? Single shot rifles are used by HUNTERS. Pissants who are incompetent resort to auto's. There's a huge difference between the two.

THIS!!! Amen!

I hope the hell I'm never out hunting within 10 miles of this fool. ..... :cool:
My guess he has never seen a brown bear up close. Only a fool would use a round like a 223 on any bear.
Agreed. My question is this. I have a one shot 410 shotgun very small caliber but it's a long rifle or barrel. I've seen shows where a guy kept bears away with just a stick so if a black bear was coming at me couldn't I keep it away with just the barrel of the gun while screaming shoo bear? Let alone having a shotgun blast in its face. Then hold it off with the barrell hopefully load another shell.So my question is do you think I could fend off a bear with this rifle?

In my state not so very long ago a black bear took a young child from the middle of a group of people who were trying to beat it off with rocks sticks and bare hands. Three were injured and the child was carried off killed and partially eaten. I am not brave enough to shoot a bear with a single shot ,410 but maybe you are.

In my state not so very long ago a black bear took a young child from the middle of a group of people who were trying to beat it off with rocks sticks and bare hands. Three were injured and the child was carried off killed and partially eaten. I am not brave enough to shoot a bear with a single shot ,410 but maybe you are.
We walk around my brothers property and trail cams saw a bear walking the property at night. I wouldn't want to have to do it and I know if cubs are around no 410 is going to stop her but I think the long barrell would be enough to keep it at a distance and having a bang I'm sure a 410 blast to the face or in its mouth would give it some trouble chewing me.

But like a shark they aren't so bad if you see them coming. I bet if you startle a bear or if it's stalking you it is very intimidating.

Have you seen the guys who live with bear in Alaska?

We walk around my brothers property and trail cams saw a bear walking the property at night. I wouldn't want to have to do it and I know if cubs are around no 410 is going to stop her but I think the long barrell would be enough to keep it at a distance and having a bang I'm sure a 410 blast to the face or in its mouth would give it some trouble chewing me.

But like a shark they aren't so bad if you see them coming. I bet if you startle a bear or if it's stalking you it is very intimidating.

The trouble with bears is their unpredictability. Most animals warn you before they charge or their body language shows when they are dangerous. Bears have a great "poker face", which makes them dangerous in any situation.

The trouble with bears is their unpredictability. Most animals warn you before they charge or their body language shows when they are dangerous. Bears have a great "poker face", which makes them dangerous in any situation.
The scary thing is 99.9% of black bears will run so if ones not running be scared.

I'm just hoping a blast to the face would make an aggressive bear back off.

Let's be honest. People walk up and down this country dirt road unarmed so I should feel " safe" with a shotgun.

The scary thing is 99.9% of black bears will run so if ones not running be scared.

I'm just hoping a blast to the face would make an aggressive bear back off.

Let's be honest. People walk up and down this country dirt road unarmed so I should feel " safe" with a shotgun.

Yep, you are way ahead of the unarmed ones.

"The scary thing is 99.9% of black bears will run so if ones not running be scared."

If it doesn't run it's too late to be scared.

You talking about the guy and his girlfriend? They were both killed and eaten by their friendly bears. Timothy Treadwell was his name. Look him up.

With a slug in that 410 you would be better prepared for a black bear than someone with a colt 45 revolver. With a well placed shot a 45 ACP can kill a black bear. Just don't shoot it in the forehead. Shooting any bear in the face with bird shot is going to anger the bear. If you are lucky enough to take his nose off and blind him you might get a chance to reload... maybe. The two black bears that I have "run into" while back packing were fairly easy to deal with but I had my 357 at the ready.

The first was a female that we happened upon while hiking in the Olympics. Her cubs were down hill from us and she was up hill. We all stood very tall and made lots of noise and she went around us to get to her cubs.

The second time I was hiking alone (not supposed to do that) in the Cascades and I was watching a female walk lazily into the brush when the boar came into view to my left and was within a few yards. I turned to face him and he either saw me or caught my scent. He raised up on his hind legs and paused and I slipped the gun from my holster and said in a calm voice, "bad bear - don't do it". I think he was more interested in the sow because he just turned in her direction and dropped to all fours and walked in after her. I think that one could have gone either way. I was obviously not a competitor and not worth the time it would take to get rid of. I was just as happy the love or lust won out.

They can be unpredictable and it has a lot to do with his attitude and yours.

You talking about the guy and his girlfriend? They were both killed and eaten by their friendly bears. Timothy Treadwell was his name. Look him up.
No not him and those were Grizzlies. I'm talking little black bears not brown bears

"I bet my farm that I can do this, under conditions of fair chase and I bet another $50,000 (in today's money) that i can do it, too". This is paraphrased from Jim Carmichael's Complete Book of the Rifle, due to size of the subject box. Jim was shooting editor for Outdoor Life for decades, held many Boone and Crockett and Safari Club records for game in Africa and N America, and several records in rifle matches (both benchrest and bullseye) 22 hornets are bolt actions, or Single shots, so he was NOT talking about fast repeat hits. :) The M4 has 50% more power than the Hornet, too. Care to claim that you know more about this than Jim did? Wanna bet a million $ farm that I can't do the same with an M4? :)

Fact is, if you are desperate for meat, you FIND a way to make your tools suffice. Wanna bet that an elk goes more than 200 yds after taking 2-3 223 ball rds to the chest? In many states that have elk, you'll see him fall if that's as far as he runs. With 3 hits to the chest, the odds are very high that either both lungs are hit, or that a lung AND heart, liver, spleen or kidneys have been hit. if that's the case, he's going to be seriously weakened in 5-6 seconds, and unable to walk/run in twice that long. top speed of an elk is 50 fps, so 200 yds is all that he's going to have before he runs out of gas. The M4 offers the TRACER ammo option, you know. :) while firing 5-6 rds at a fleeing animal is mostly going to = gut hits, those sort of hits hurt, bleed, and weaken the critter, too. Nothing much about survival poaching has anything to do with sportsmanship, folks.

I had a 22 rifle that fired the hornet round years ago. The rifle was very old even back then, and it was more than capable of bringing down large game, no problem. So long as you weren't reaching out too far. I finally got rid of it when the mini 14 was first introduced back in the 1960's.

Last edited:
Back in the day. Late 70's. Early 80's. I was into hunting coyotes and bobcats for the bounty on them. $100 bucks for both of their ears, per animal. I started my bounty hunting using a Ruger Mini-14. After I had traded 10 coyote ears for $500 bucks, I started acquiring better firearms for the task. After awhile, my primary coyote tool was a scoped Remington 700 in 25/06 and my best shot on a yote was 617 yards with that. My auxiliary tool for yote's and cats was a scoped Thompson Contender with a 10 inch barrel chambered for the Remington .221 Fireball. The Fireball was designed to have the ballistics of the .22 Hornet from a rifle length barrel. VERY effective on yotes and cats, it was. Convenient too.

Forum List

Back