Antiamericanism on the right.

I lived in the SF Bay Area in 1984 when the Olympic Games came to LA and Stanford (SF Bay Area) got some of the Soccer matches. I thought it was really cool to have some of the games so close by, but I didn't go to the games. It would have been nice if Chicago had won the bid for 2016, but they didn't get it this time. I'm certain there will be other chances for the U.S. to host the games.

It doesn't bother me that Rio won the 2016 games. I've always wanted to go to Rio. Maybe 2016 will be my chance?

The fact that Chicago lost the bid doesn't mean Rio is better than Chicago or Madrid or any other city. It simply means that the Olympic Committee chose South America for those games. That is not a snub of Chicago or the U.S. It is nothing more than the committee choosing a different city for 2016.

The games are supposed to be for the entire world... when was the last time the Olympics were in South America? Um, never, the closest they have come was Mexico in 1968.

Congratulations to Rio 2016! As for Chicago 2016, good try and better luck next time.

Oh, wait, did someone say that the President had his hand in bringing the games to Chicago? It was a failure of the President that Chicago lost? I doubt it.
Immie

If the games had ben awarded to Chicago, it would have been called a success of the Prez.

Do you really think that anybody, ANYBODY, who was voting for this did NOT know that Obama is from CHICAGO?

What might we gleen from this?

Dude they made about a quarter of a billion because they lied about the costs of a whole host of things especially security for the event and the atheletes. What they actaully made was a net loss that they lied about.

When you start accusing people of cooking the books, evidence is in order.

The issue is one of the failure of The BOY King... it was his to lose and this is a direct result of his having made it so.

That would assume that Chicago really had a shot at the games in 2016 in the first place. I had not been paying attention to the cities that were in the running, so I don't know that they did or did not have a real shot. My guess is that since they lost in the first round of voting, they probably didn't have much of a chance to begin with.

Immie

It's honestly shocking to me to see conservatives across the world applauding at the city of Chicago losing it's bid for the Olympics in 2016. Apparently seeing an opportunity for America's cultural and economic gain pass America by is a cause for celebration, simply because it represents Obama's efforts toward that have failed. If Obama was trying to climb up a tree to save a kitten dangling over the highway, and the kitten let go and fell to it's death before he could get to it, I imagine that the kittens demise would be greeted with fanfare by the conservative community, with pundits slapping each other on the back and saying "I guess that shows him!"

I'm starting to wonder whose fucking side you guys are on. It doesn't seem to be ours.

American culture and economy will thrive again once we've booted Obama (American has been dismissive, derisive, even arrogant) and the Pelosi Congress and replaced them with Conservatives.

I lived in the SF Bay Area in 1984 when the Olympic Games came to LA and Stanford (SF Bay Area) got some of the Soccer matches. I thought it was really cool to have some of the games so close by, but I didn't go to the games. It would have been nice if Chicago had won the bid for 2016, but they didn't get it this time. I'm certain there will be other chances for the U.S. to host the games.

It doesn't bother me that Rio won the 2016 games. I've always wanted to go to Rio. Maybe 2016 will be my chance?

The fact that Chicago lost the bid doesn't mean Rio is better than Chicago or Madrid or any other city. It simply means that the Olympic Committee chose South America for those games. That is not a snub of Chicago or the U.S. It is nothing more than the committee choosing a different city for 2016.

The games are supposed to be for the entire world... when was the last time the Olympics were in South America? Um, never, the closest they have come was Mexico in 1968.

Congratulations to Rio 2016! As for Chicago 2016, good try and better luck next time.

Oh, wait, did someone say that the President had his hand in bringing the games to Chicago? It was a failure of the President that Chicago lost? I doubt it.
Immie

If the games had ben awarded to Chicago, it would have been called a success of the Prez.

Do you really think that anybody, ANYBODY, who was voting for this did NOT know that Obama is from CHICAGO?

That's an easy one. Republicans are racist and want to destroy this country. They applaud anything they can consider not a success. They promote failure. When they were in power they needlessly had thousands of Americans killed, ruined the economy and let the biggest mass murderer in American history get off scott free AND gave him a seven year head start against the current president.

We've already covered what they did to the economy and the middle class.

Did I "glean" enough?

Last edited by a moderator:
Immie

Sure it would have been a success for the President had he succeeded in bringing the games to Chicago and I say that partly because I don't believe that they actually had much of a shot in the first place so if the President had stepped in on Chicago's behalf and the Committee had been swayed to vote for Chicago, I think that would have been a victory for him.

Edit:

The fact that he didn't succeed to the fullest extent is not a failure. Would you consider it a failure if Bowling Green State University had a chance to play the Pittsburgh Stealers this week and lost?

As for the above discussions about the pros and cons of the Olympics in various cities, I think the Olympics have sadly been too politicized over the last 50 years or so. It is too bad. The games should be just that games and politics should disappear from the picture. Unfortunately, that is not going to happen.

I would have been happy to see Chicago win the bid, but truthfully I am not discouraged because they didn't win and I am glad for Rio that they have a chance to show that city off in 2016.

Immie

Last edited:

Immie

That's an easy one. Republicans are racist and want to destroy this country. They applaud anything they can consider not a success. They promote failure. When they were in power they needlessly had thousands of Americans killed, ruined the economy and let the biggest mass murderer in American history get off scott free AND gave him a seven year head start against the current president.

Did I "glean" enough?

you done gleaned yerself right into the ditch.

It's honestly shocking to me to see conservatives across the world applauding at the city of Chicago losing it's bid for the Olympics in 2016. Apparently seeing an opportunity for America's cultural and economic gain pass America by is a cause for celebration, simply because it represents Obama's efforts toward that have failed. If Obama was trying to climb up a tree to save a kitten dangling over the highway, and the kitten let go and fell to it's death before he could get to it, I imagine that the kittens demise would be greeted with fanfare by the conservative community, with pundits slapping each other on the back and saying "I guess that shows him!"

I'm starting to wonder whose fucking side you guys are on. It doesn't seem to be ours.

Shocking? Or depressing?

I think we have come to expect no less from this group of people (led by Rush, Glenn, O'Reilly & Co.). It's always about the "One", and about the "One" failing.

American culture and economy will thrive again once we've booted Obama (American has been dismissive, derisive, even arrogant) and the Pelosi Congress and replaced them with Conservatives.

What kinds of conservatives? Political conservatives? If so, I doubt you are right.

If we booted the liberals who control Washington into the streets and filled their seats with so-called conservative politicians we would be no better off than we are right now.

What we should do is boot them all out and fill those seats with "working stiffs" be they conservative or liberal and let them work out America's problems. The day those "working stiffs" begin to feel like they have a right to those seats, they too should be sent packing.

If I remember my history correctly, our founding fathers feared the idea of career politicians. Seems to me that they were right in their fears. America's problems don't stem from which political persuasion controls Washington. It's problems come from the fact that we let arrogant people who think they are better than everyone else govern everyone else.

Immie

Last edited:
Dude they made about a quarter of a billion because they lied about the costs of a whole host of things especially security for the event and the atheletes. What they actaully made was a net loss that they lied about.

That what I understand it ,security was off the books in LA.

Chicago is the cesspool of the US. I don't blame the world for not wanting to go to a city that weekly shows footage of out of countrol inner city thugs killing each other, or airing information about the rampant corruption of the politicians.

Shocking? Or depressing?

I think we have come to expect no less from this group of people (led by Rush, Glenn, O'Reilly & Co.). It's always about the "One", and about the "One" failing.

Are you talking about "The One We've been waiting for"? That "One". :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Immie

Did I "glean" enough?

I'm not even sure you read my comment.

Immie

Did I "glean" enough?

You didn't actually glean anything.

That what I understand it ,security was off the books in LA.

Anybody can say they heard something somewhere. But accusing the LA Olympic Committee of lying about the numbers and fudging their return is serious and specific enough to demand evidence. Put up or shut up time for the person making the claim, who I realize was not you. ;)

Hmm, I apear to be in error about LA. However the consensus view was that LA made money solely because they were able to use a plethora of already existing facilities for the games and this is no longer done. For More - washingtonpost.com

Hmm, I apear to be in error about LA. However the consensus view was that LA made money solely because they were able to use a plethora of already existing facilities for the games and this is no longer done. For More - washingtonpost.com

You're right on that one.

I don't disagree with you on the principle that hosting the Games is massively expensive. Remember LA was 25 years ago, and both costs and expectations have risen tremendously since then. Having adequate, well maintained facilities is no longer "good enough", they have to be brand new and state of the art. Could you imagine spotlighting the Rose Bowl in an Olympics today? Never happen.
Which is why I didn't feel disappointed when Chicago lost its bid, although I can't blame them for trying. They can't afford it. And let's face it, we've had 4 Olympic Games in the US in less than 30 years, counting the Winter ones. Brazil is far from perfect, but they've been trying hard and made tremendous strides in the last 20 years or so. Let somebody else show off for a change.

Forum List

Back