Anti gun, to pro gun...the journey...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Here you have an anti gun black guy......who moved from anti gun California to pro gun Florida...and realized that the difference between his buddies in California carrying guns illegally, and his new buddies in Florida carrying guns legally? Attitude about life...

My journey from anti-gun to pro-2A

It wasn’t until I moved to Florida for my junior year of high school that I began to see guns in a different light. Kids at my school carried their shotguns in the back of their pick-up windows. No one stole them! They’d hunt after school or on the weekends with their dad or grandpa. I was so scared at first because I thought these white people could shoot and kill me any time they wanted to. It never happened. When I talked to classmates about guns, they talked about the Second Amendment, hunting, plinking, etc. They didn’t talk about using their guns to hold up a liquor store or kill a rival gang member. Weird. They were responsible with their guns, and they didn’t hide them from cops. They were in plain sight for everyone to see. Suffice it to say, I never picked a fight with those kids, either.

The difference between my friends in Los Angeles that carried guns illegally and my friends in Florida that obtained them legally was a fundamental understanding of their intended purposes. There was an attitudinal and cultural difference in Florida. The kids in Florida were taught about the value of life, what it meant to be responsible with a deadly weapon, and about the history of the Second Amendment. That wasn’t the case in Los Angeles. I’d never heard of the Second Amendment until I moved to Florida.

Over the Republican primary season, I was an outspoken conservative critic of then-candidate Donald Trump, and a torrent of hate rolled my way. I would later learn just how much: The Anti-Defamation League named me one of the top 10 Jewish journalists to be attacked by the alt-right during the election season. After years of receiving death threats for my conservative views, months of being attacked by the alt-right and then having our address published online by the neo-Nazi Daily Stormer, I pushed myself to finally go through the process of asking friends for letters attesting to my character, obtaining fingerprints and submitting to background checks.

I was given a reason to feel that I needed to defend myself and my family. And I acted on it. Opinion | I Wanted to Be a Good Mom. So I Got a Gun.

Forum List

Back