Another Thing I Don't Understand About US Sports

1691173025127.jpeg

Money.

It's all about the money. Teams don't care if players disrespect their country as long as they are popular and bring in team merchandise sales and viewers on TV and buy tickets.

And that's our society now as well. We're full of unpatriotic asswipes that either do nothing but complain about america, or simply do not care about it.

I still think we should have a 1 year mandatory military service for every 18 year old. Just enough time for them to go through boot camp and even if they pick up garbage in the national guard that's enough. Just one year to learn some discipline and responsibility and hopefully have some measure of respect for our country. And honestly I'd say you aren't allowed to vote until after you complete that 1 year.

Far as women's soccer teams, they don't give a shit because they still get paid when the men win, even if they lose. They get a cut of the men's earnings. So they can be unpatriotic twats and act like entitled bitches, lose and still make money.

Unfortunately, that is the answer. But, if we are going to pay for the training and other support for these athletes to represent the US and not themselves, they don't deserve to be where they are and we should demand that if they are going to take our money to represent only themselves then they shouldn't be representing us.

Forcing athletes to only speak positively of their country seems more like what we would expect in North Korea than the United States of America.

How about we just let American athletes express themselves?

If a team, any US team, is representing the US in international sporting events and players on that team decide they are going to disrespect the very country they are supposedly playing for by kneeling or otherwise disrespecting our anthem, flag, or country, then why in the hell do we let them continue playing? If it is a team decision then why do we let the team play? It's about time we stood up to these selfish players who only care about themselves and use our country to train and support them only to not represent our country at all. If they are only playing for themselves and not for the country they are supposedly representing then to hell with them. If they are playing for our country then they need to show some respect to the country they are supposed to be representing, even if that country is not perfect. I know of no country which is perfect. If they can't do that then be gone with them, even if we field no team. The US Women's soccer team is losing because they care more about making political points.
Some athletes feel guilty about being an American.

Not my fault if you don't keep up with the news.

I keep up with the news. I'm also following the World Cup. I'm just trying to figure out if they actually did something. That's why I asked.

Because your media keeps you in a constant state of manufactured outrage. It keeps you hooked, viewing, and clicking. It makes your media rich.

In the past, the USWNT knelt. I don't like that. I think that athletes can be as political off the field as they want. But once they cross those white lines, then they should stop all politics. I hate how politics has infected sports. I don't think they should kneel in the NFL either. But soccer players had been kneeling all across the world for two years.

Not singing the national anthem is not a sign of disrespect. Lots of athletes don't, and it has nothing to do whether they're proud of their country or not. If there's something else going on, let me know. But if that's what you are outraged about, go outside and get a life.

I keep up with the news. I'm also following the World Cup. I'm just trying to figure out if they actually did something. That's why I asked.

Because your media keeps you in a constant state of manufactured outrage. It keeps you hooked, viewing, and clicking. It makes your media rich.

In the past, the USWNT knelt. I don't like that. I think that athletes can be as political off the field as they want. But once they cross those white lines, then they should stop all politics. I hate how politics has infected sports. I don't think they should kneel in the NFL either. But soccer players had been kneeling all across the world for two years.

Not singing the national anthem is not a sign of disrespect. Lots of athletes don't, and it has nothing to do whether they're proud of their country or not. If there's something else going on, let me know. But if that's what you are outraged about, go outside and get a life.
Well, if you don't know what they did then you AREN'T keeping up with the news.

Forcing athletes to only speak positively of their country seems more like what we would expect in North Korea than the United States of America.

How about we just let American athletes express themselves?

If you're representing your country, being funded by your country for your training, wearing you countries flag, and being paid your wages by your country then you should have at least some fucking respect for it. If you can't stand for the anthem and show some respect for the country that made you rich and famous and travelling all over the world then you don't deserve it.

You can speak your mind and be unpatriotic if you want, but you shouldn't be allowed to do it while you represent them. Or they can quit.

If I work for a company and I shit talk my company all the time, won't show it any respect, and won't follow it's rules then I get fired. This is no different.

Absolutely true. But, if that is the case, they shouldn't have joined a team, took money for training, etc., to represent America if they feel guilty about being an American. That's my point.
Some do decide to play for other countries.

If you're representing your country, being funded by your country for your training, wearing you countries flag, and being paid your wages by your country then you should have at least some fucking respect for it. If you can't stand for the anthem and show some respect for the country that made you rich and famous and travelling all over the world then you don't deserve it.

You can speak your mind and be unpatriotic if you want, but you shouldn't be allowed to do it while you represent them. Or they can quit.

If I work for a company and I shit talk my company all the time, won't show it any respect, and won't follow it's rules then I get fired. This is no different.
not to mention how can they be trusted to perform at the top of your game if not outright play to lose,,,

People with an exorbitant amount of money only generally care about their pocketbook. Always been this way although they will talk a different game.

People with an exorbitant amount of money only generally care about their pocketbook. Always been this way although they will talk a different game.
You are only generalizing as there are many wealthy Americans that donate to charities and help feed the less fortunate.

No first amendment at all. If you represent the US then you represent the US. If not, we don't field a team. There is no law which says we are forced to field a team. We are free to forfeit any games we want if we can't come up with players who represent the US.
Golly gee.
Not up to you
and they have 1st amendment rights.
Funny how often you guys scream 1st until someone says something you don't like.

So you’re cool with censoring people now.

1) It’s up to the company, not you.

2) It’s not talking shit ”all the time”. If you ask them, they’ll probably say something along the lines of “I love this country but we have some serious issues that I want fixed”. In your analogy that would be like requiring no negative comments whatsoever about your job or anything about it. You’re going to force people to only say good things about the company and threaten to fire them otherwise? You’re going to let a lot of good workers go just for expressing themselves. I sure as hell wouldn’t want to work for your company.

Forum List

Back