Another Someone You Should Know

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
:salute: There are pics at site:

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2006/06/amazing_reenlis.html#more

Injuries Don't Deter Soldier's Committment

Written by 1st Squadron, 10th Cavalry Regiment, 2nd BCT, 4th ID

FOB FALCON, Iraq – A Multi-National Division-Baghdad Soldier embodied the true meaning of the warrior spirit and noncommissioned officer leadership Tuesday after sustaining injuries during combat operations in Hawh Rajab, a town in South Baghdad.

Staff Sgt. Michell Caldwell, scout, Troop A, 1st Squadron, 10th Cavalry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, with the help of Soldiers from his Troop, re-enlisted hours after a gun battle and moments before being airlifted to Germany for treatment of his wounds.

Caldwell was on patrol with his platoon when they surprised a group of terrorists preparing to attack a nearby check point. The Soldiers came under intense automatic weapons fire from both sides of the road at ranges as close as five meters.

As the senior scout, Caldwell proceeded in re-directing his Soldiers to engaging the source of the fire. During the battle, Caldwell was shot through both forearms. He continued to fight through the ambush as the platoon maintained suppressing fire, destroying many of the enemy forces, and allowing Caldwell to be evacuated to FOB Falcon.

Later in the day, after he was transported by air to the 10th Combat Support Hospital in Baghdad, Lt. Col. James Love, commander, 1-10 Cav, Capt. Jon Bodenhamer, commander, Troop A, and members of his platoon visited Caldwell following surgery. Though groggy from the anesthesia, like all good scouts, he remained alert.

After relating the experience to Love, Caldwell simply said, “Sir, I was supposed to re-enlist today. I want to re-enlist before I leave.”

The day before the patrol, Caldwell coordinated with the squadron re-enlistment NCO to sign up for another 6 years of service.

Soldiers from the 10th CSH jumped at the chance to help out a soldier in need. Noting that this was his first re-enlistment in the intensive care ward, Sgt. 1st Class Jason Koutsalas, career counselor, 10th CSH, sprang into action and prepared the re-enlistment.

Later that evening, as doctors were preparing Caldwell to be loaded on a stretcher and begin his journey out of Iraq, his commander, first sergeant and platoon arrived. Members of the platoon hung the American flag over his bed and propped Caldwell up.

Unable to raise his right arm due to multiple fractures, 1st Sgt. David Yost signed the paperwork on Caldwell’s behalf and Bodenhamer administered the oath as the platoon stood at attention before him.

Moments later, Caldwell was on his way, first to Germany and later the U.S., for surgery and rehabilitation. Though he will likely not re-join the unit in Iraq, doctors said he should be fine with a couple of operations and a few weeks of physical therapy.

“I am proud to have been able to make Staff Sgt. Caldwell’s re-enlistment possible,” said Koutsalas. “It is all about taking care of Soldiers.”

Without question, this was an occasion that no one in Apache Troop will ever forget, said Bodenhamer. A happy ending to a difficult day in Iraq – a great soldier on his way home, with the promise of recovery, re-enlisted to continue his service to the nation and his well-deserved bonus in his pocket.

And another:

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2006/06/marine_major_be.html#more
Marine Major Bennet Walsh - Someone You Should Know
Posted By Blackfive

This story from the Marines is about a leader who learned he had cancer and put off treatment to make his deployment and lead his Marines. He waited until fifteen days before the deadline for any treatment to not be effective.

That's the kind of dedication our men and women in the military have...what other profession has that kind of committment?

Leader reluctant to leave

June 16, 2006; Submitted on: 06/20/2006 05:27:40 AM ; Story ID#: 200662052740
By Cpl. Brian Reimers, Regimental Combat Team 5
060618m3312rwalsh2lr
Photo of Major Bennet Walsh taken by Cpl. Brian Reimers on June 16, 2006

CAMP BAHARIA, Iraq (June 16, 2006) -- Maj. Bennet W. Walsh is leaving the fight of his life as a Marine to literally fight to save his life.

Walsh, relinquished command of Weapons Company, June 15 after learning he was diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma – skin cancer. Walsh, assigned to 1st Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 5, was three months into his second tour in Iraq. He’s heading home to ensure the cancer doesn’t spread.

“There is definitely some sadness for having to leave the Marines here early, but unfortunately I have to go because of the time sensitivity for the surgery,” said Walsh, from Springfield, Mass.

After two tours in Iraq and several years of active duty assignments in the Marine Corps, it was only right to take the chance to lead a company of Marines in combat, according to Walsh.

While preparing for the seven month deployment, a biopsy was performed to test a spot on Walsh’s scalp. He didn’t find out the results until he and his Marines were sitting in Kuwait, waiting to cross the borders into Iraq.

“When I reached Kuwait was when I found out that I might have to leave the deployment early,” explained 36-year-old Walsh. “They called to let us know and the colonel delivered the news to me personally.”

But Walsh wasn’t ready to take off the uniform and put his weapon aside. His Marines were headed for combat operations and he would lead them...

“He pushed the envelope of medical authorities and his own health to be with his Marines,” said Lt.Col. Christopher A. Landro, the battalion’s commander.

“He could have left, but instead he pushed his cancer surgery off as far as he could,” added Maj. Craig R. Abele, Weapons Company’s new commander, a 35-year-old from Falls Church, Va. “He wanted to bring them into combat. It is a personal sacrifice that he made for his Marines.”

During the change of command ceremony here, Walsh passed his final words to his Marines, the company’s guidon to Abele, and shook the hand of each man in his company, adding “See you soon.”

“We are going to miss him,” said 22-year-old Lance Cpl. Jose F. Espinosa, from Queens, N.Y., who served along side his former commander as his vehicle’s turret gunner. “He was a great teacher and great mentor. I learned a lot from him and I am proud to have served with him.”

Walsh was responsible for a fleet of mobile assault platoons, and all of the Marines, vehicles, weapons and combat missions they conducted.

“He went above and beyond,” said Landro, 46, from Kennesaw, Ga. “He didn’t have to deploy with the battalion and he volunteered for the assignment as Weapons Company commander.

“The loyalty he felt to the Marines in this unit and the brotherhoods forged in combat were more powerful than concerns for his own heath,” he added.

“You just don’t see that everyday. The fact that he wanted to stay as long as he did makes a testament to his dedication to his men and his personal courage,” Abele added.

The mission here will press on, but not without the memories of Walsh’s leadership and professionalism in the Marines of Weapons Company.

Walsh boarded a plane headed to the United States for the surgery to remove the cancer only fifteen days prior to the medical deadline he was given. After recovery, he will return to duty and handle special tasks at the battalion’s headquarters at Fort Devens, Mass.​

Best wishes to Major Walsh for complete and speedy recovery.

CSM said:
A stark contrast to the few military members who decide to go waaaay left....especially the ones who have never seen combat (like a certain lieutenant who had his 10 minutes of fame recently) and yet capture headlines simply because they fit the liberal and MSM agenda.

I do think there should be a push on the media to feature some of the many heroes that can be easily found at Blackfive and other milbloggers. I do not remember seeing a front page in the Tribune, when Paul Smith was awarded the Medal of Honor.

Kathianne said:
I do think there should be a push on the media to feature some of the many heroes that can be easily found at Blackfive and other milbloggers. I do not remember seeing a front page in the Tribune, when Paul Smith was awarded the Medal of Honor.
Heaven forbid! Put a true hero on the front page of a newspaper???? The type of person some college campuses regard as "not the kind we want representing our college" (but fall all over themselves when it comes to a snake oil salesman like Chamberlain)????

CSM said:
Heaven forbid! Put a true hero on the front page of a newspaper???? The type of person some college campuses regard as "not the kind we want representing our college" (but fall all over themselves when it comes to a snake oil salesman like Chamberlain)????

Ya know, even the horror of those two soldiers only made page 6 today. It's a travesty. It really is the media that is hampering the 'connectiveness' of the troops and the people.

Kathianne said:
Ya know, even the horror of those two soldiers only made page 6 today. It's a travesty. It really is the media that is hampering the 'connectiveness' of the troops and the people.
And intentionally so.... that is what irks me the most; the media simply cannot plead ignorance. They are unabashedly biased and it truly hurts this country.

CSM said:
And intentionally so.... that is what irks me the most; the media simply cannot plead ignorance. They are unabashedly biased and it truly hurts this country.

Agreed. If there ever comes a day when they 'regret what they're doing,' which I think will come, the people are going to be very harsh, seriously. What will make them change their tune? Nothing good for US.

Forum List

Back