annoying phone calls

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
We get about a half a dozen calls a day on our land line that run anywhere from cheap solicitation for insurance to downright attempted larceny. My wife and I laugh off the robo calls that warn us that somebody has used our credit card to charge $300-$500 on Amazon but I wonder how many people are fooled by the scam. If you block the number they merely use a different number that might show the next town but is really an office as far away as India. All you get from law-enforcement is advice on how to avoid scams. It's a shame that nobody goes after these people. Or do they?

My phone does not ring. I only answer if I hear someone I want to talk to leaving a message. Only then do I pick up. The rest I just disconnect.

We get about a half a dozen calls a day on our land line that run anywhere from cheap solicitation for insurance to downright attempted larceny. My wife and I laugh off the robo calls that warn us that somebody has used our credit card to charge $300-$500 on Amazon but I wonder how many people are fooled by the scam. If you block the number they merely use a different number that might show the next town but is really an office as far away as India. All you get from law-enforcement is advice on how to avoid scams. It's a shame that nobody goes after these people. Or do they?
The company who gave you the free landline likely also passed your number out to all who are calling you.

I don't have a land-line anymore because there's no need now that we have cells.
But they call several times a day to pull these scams.

We have had the number for a long, long time. I'm not blaming anyone but shortly after I renewed my membership in the American Legion I started to get calls from Vet. support agencies. If you want to include junk mail it's unwise to send a personal check even as little as $25 to charities or a PAC. They will hound you for donations forever.

I don't have a landline.

On the iPhone, you can go into Settings and configure it so that only numbers in your contacts come through. Everything else goes to voicemail. I'd imagine that Android allows for the same.

If someone calls me and doesn't leave me a voicemail, fuck 'em. I figure it can't be too important...

We had the same problem. I just bought an ATT answering machine from Walmart that said it silently screens and removes robo calls. I was skeptical. But it works! We have gone from about 20 calls a day down to 2 or 3. And they come up as possible spam and gives you the option to block those. It stops the spam calls before they ring through. It's wonderful. There are 4 phones that comes with it. It announces who is calling though it's kind of hard to understand. But if you want peace and quiet, it will give it to you.

Last edited:
OP my guess is that even if you have put your landline on the do not call registry the calls still come in? My advice is to dump your landline and get a magic jack device. You plug into your router and the telephone line plug (that historically went into the wall plug) plugs into the little device. You can get a dedicated #, and it generally mirrors everything a landline does for about $40 a year. The number is essentially not registered.

How many agencies (private and public) make a buck on the side by selling your information? My wife applied for an LLC and we started getting junk mail about corporations. Insurance scams know what kind of car we own (or used to own) and medicare scammers know about how old we are. That's life in the 21st century I guess.

How many agencies (private and public) make a buck on the side by selling your information? My wife applied for an LLC and we started getting junk mail about corporations. Insurance scams know what kind of car we own (or used to own) and medicare scammers know about how old we are. That's life in the 21st century I guess.
States sell their voter registration databases to various vendors.

I don't have a land-line anymore because there's no need now that we have cells.
I'd say just the exact opposite.

Cell phones are tracking devices. They track everything about you, and know all your habits. Everyone should ditch them and get as far away from big tech as possible.

Sadly the cell numbers are not exempt from these kinds of occurrences.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

OP my guess is that even if you have put your landline on the do not call registry the calls still come in? My advice is to dump your landline and get a magic jack device. You plug into your router and the telephone line plug (that historically went into the wall plug) plugs into the little device. You can get a dedicated #, and it generally mirrors everything a landline does for about $40 a year. The number is essentially not registered.

The only reason why I have a landline is because my Optimum plan is cheaper with having phone, cable, and internet than just cable and internet. I never pick it up, so I get less robocalls.

For cell phone service I use T-mobile and with them I get less scam calls than I did with Verizon or AT&T

Comcast recently started putting [V] in front of verified phone numbers, and most are still scam phone calls or don't bother leaving a message. So far only one call received with that [V] designation has been legitimate.

I like how they want to extend the warranty on my 23 year old car. Still waiting for the IRS to arrest me many years later.

Anyhoo, it is difficult tracking down these call centers, typically in India. Here's a recent video of one of those going after these scammers...

SHOWING A SCAMMER HIS OWN WEBCAM ON MY COMPUTER!

Forum List

Back