annoying phone calls

I've been getting a shitload of these calls lately.
From my SS card has been compromised to you will be arrested if you dont answer.
Told the last guy who said I was going to be arrested to come on over and arrest me.
Of course he's from india and can barely put together a sentence.
He answered with..You should take this very seriously sir or we will arrest you.
I laughed at him and asked him what my address was...he sputtered a bit and hung up.

Sadly the cell numbers are not exempt from these kinds of occurrences.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Cells are supposed to be. They can't use a cell phone. They fall under FCC regs "ham"

Reporting a landline call to FCC or do not call registry is useless. File a FCC complaint if they call your cell phone. They will get a letter and you will get a copy. Major calls to me used to be credit stuff "Hi I'm Christy from credit card services. Got them 15 years. Now all calls are vehicle extended warrantee scams.

I guess there are all sorts of electronic and software remedies and gadgets you can buy to try to thwart attempted grand larceny by phone but nobody in the law enforcement arena seems to care even when you give them the freaking phone number. It's probably interstate or even international and the FBI (up to now) was too busy trying to undermine the former administration to be bothered with such mundane things. Another bit of freedom taken away in the 21st century.

We get about a half a dozen calls a day on our land line that run anywhere from cheap solicitation for insurance to downright attempted larceny. My wife and I laugh off the robo calls that warn us that somebody has used our credit card to charge $300-$500 on Amazon but I wonder how many people are fooled by the scam. If you block the number they merely use a different number that might show the next town but is really an office as far away as India. All you get from law-enforcement is advice on how to avoid scams. It's a shame that nobody goes after these people. Or do they?
I had a landline up to about 6 months ago when I realized that every call I had received the previous month was from someone, or something that did not actually know me. Every single call. Okay, some of that has to do with my lack of popularity, but regardless, I figured that enough is enough. As for the calls, I liked the ones that featured some recorded female Asian voice yakking some Far East language at warp speed. I never knew what those were about.

We get about a half a dozen calls a day on our land line that run anywhere from cheap solicitation for insurance to downright attempted larceny. My wife and I laugh off the robo calls that warn us that somebody has used our credit card to charge $300-$500 on Amazon but I wonder how many people are fooled by the scam. If you block the number they merely use a different number that might show the next town but is really an office as far away as India. All you get from law-enforcement is advice on how to avoid scams. It's a shame that nobody goes after these people. Or do they?
I had a landline up to about 6 months ago when I realized that every call I had received the previous month was from someone, or something that did not actually know me. Every single call. Okay, some of that has to do with my lack of popularity, but regardless, I figured that enough is enough. As for the calls, I liked the ones that featured some recorded female Asian voice yakking some Far East language at warp speed. I never knew what those were about.
Caller I.D. is no help. It used to be a shock when a call from a nearby town turned out to be a voice with a heavy Indian accent. My daughter dropped her landline service and advised us to do the same but I'm set in my ways. I have a 2 second rule when I answer the phone. If nobody answers in that time I know they are setting up a robot call and I hang up. Sometimes you have to be rude even with legitimate callers you don't know. It might not stop them but it feels good.

I find it amusing that some people are enraged by "press 2 for Spanish" and such.

WHY do you still have a land line???

What a waste of money

WHY do you still have a land line???

What a waste of money

I keep a land line for my alarm system.
Anyone I know doesnt call me on that number so I just mute the ringer and the authorities know to call either the Wife or I on our cell phones.

Where the hell are we in society when land line telephones should be discarded because elected officials cannot protect us from criminals?

From my SS card has been compromised to you will be arrested if you dont answer.
Told the last guy who said I was going to be arrested to come on over and arrest me.
He answered with..You should take this very seriously sir or we will arrest you.
I laughed at him and asked him what my address was...he sputtered a bit and hung up.
I got one today claiming that the Social Security administration had a legal action against myself and my wife. The caller I.D. gave a local number from a nearby town and had a heavy Indian accent.

I got one today claiming that the Social Security administration had a legal action against myself and my wife. The caller I.D. gave a local number from a nearby town and had a heavy Indian accent.

Same here in regards to the location.
They all seem to come from nearby jerk water towns.
Why wouldnt they be calling from Houston where there are a shit ton of government offices?

Same here in regards to the location.
They all seem to come from nearby jerk water towns.
Why wouldnt they be calling from Houston where there are a shit ton of government offices?
I guess their convoluted logic is that we are more likely to pick up if the call comes from a nearby town but if the town is so small that it doesn't even have a gas station how in the world does it have a gigantic government office and why would the SS administration hire someone who could barely speak English. It's a wonder that they manage to snag anybody.

We have a robo call blocker but occassionally some still come through. Two I had in the past couple of weeks have been (1) offer to extend my car's resently expired warranty and (2) concerning a questionable Amazon charge.

I can tolerate the infrequency of the calls and so I play along and press "1" to speak to an agent. Just to frustrate them I countering their lies by simply being polite and asking a simple question.

For the car warranty, I tell the agent I own two cars and ask which one he is referring to?

For the one dealing with the Amazon charge, when asked if I authorized the charge I reply "no" but say it could have been my wife making the purchase. I then ask for the name he has on the charge.

Forum List

Back