Andrew Yang the latest to "launch" a third party

Most likely this latest attempt, and the next few, will flame out fairly quickly.

We have to keep trying, though, before this ridiculous, fucked up duopoly finally brings us down.

Good luck!

Waste of time. Yang is smart enough to know this. If he wants a viable new party, he needs to put all his time and energy lobbying to take money out of the elections. And vocally supporting the candidates who propose doing so.

But thats not how ranked choice works...

You might be confusing it with instant runoff and that still wouldn't work...

Please give more detail of what you think how Ranked choice works and how someone can win by loading the field.
Ranked choice in the state of WA is advancing the top two candidates to the general election regardless of party. That IS how it works. It smacks of corruption especially in states that have extreme numbers of one party or another---like the west coast of the US.

Waste of time.
Many of us, across the political spectrum, have had enough. These two parties have clearly failed us within the current system.

The reason we are in this condition, the reason we have the horrible "choices" that we have, the reason the lunatics are now running the asylum, is because our current system allows for it. It incentivizes it. It rewards it.

Yes, this will very difficult. Even quixotic. I get it. But America used to be able to do difficult things. My least favorite emotion is regret. I will not look back and wish that I had tried.

Last edited:
Ranked voting system is very popular around the world and produces the generally solid governments...

I don't think the US has much exposure to it, it is quite a different way of governing....

If the clusterfuck that was the New York Mayoral Primary is any example... hard pass.

Joeb,

It is first past the post that creates a two party system... UK has generally got the same problem, for the same reason...

Except the UK has three parties- Conservatives, Labor and Liberals. They also have the Head of Government chosen by parliament, not the people.

The reason why the EC eventually lead to the two-party system is that simply, any time a third party won enough to get a substantial number of electors, it gets thrown into Congress. This is what happened in 1824 and it was kind of a clusterfuck.

Many of us, across the political spectrum, have had enough. These two parties have clearly failed us within the current system.

The reason we are in this condition, the reason we have the horrible "choices" that we have, the reason the lunatics are now running the asylum, is because our current system allows for it. It incentivizes it. It rewards it.

Yes, this will very difficult. Even quixotic. I get it. But America used to be able to do difficult things. My least favorite emotion is regret. I will not look back and wish that I had tried.

Why are you always lying, Vichy Mac.

If people who are passionate about issues dominate the parties, it's because they are passionate.

Frankly, I see anti-abortion people as loons, but they actually donate money. They show up to help with campaigns. they drive their elderly neighbor to the polling place on election day. This is why they have influence, not because of some vast conspiracy.

As Woody Allen said, before the PC Crowd came for him, "90% of success is just showing up."

If anything, the Pro-Life people have been played by the GOP for years, as every Republican after Roe promised to ban abortion, appoint judges to overturn Roe or even put a human life amendment in the constitution, but until Trump, most of them really didn't do anything about it. Ohhh. we cut funding to Planned Parenthood again! That'll show 'em.

Now, after Roe, you had Pro-Life Democrats and Pro-Choice Republicans. But they all slowly faded away, because the national groups realized that if you can elect a pro-life Democrat in a district, you can probably just as easily elect a pro-life Republican, and he'll be part of a majority that will make a difference.

Does the forward party have term limits as a plank of the platform?

It is the only real way to fix anything.

In fact, I would support a "Term-Limits" single-issue party. I would vote for candidates who swear to vote down every bill including spending/omnibus/whatever bills and only vote for a constitutional amendment for term limits.

In fact, I would support a "Term-Limits" single-issue party. I would vote for candidates who swear to vote down every bill including spending/omnibus/whatever bills and only vote for a constitutional amendment for term limits.

We already have term limits. They are called "elections".

The problem is in most districts, people keep voting for the same guys... until they literally have to be propped up.

I live in a district where the Member of Congress has changed hands four times in the last 20 years. it started in 2006 when Melissa Bean toppled long term Congressman Phil Crane. In 2010, she was thrown out by Teabagger Crazy Joe Walsh. Two years later, everyone realized Walsh was nuts and voted in Tammy Duckworth. Tammy ran for Senate and was succeeded by Raja Krishnamorthi.

Now, here's the funny thing. Krishnamorthi is actually a pretty sensible guy. He speaks to issues intelligently. He's not a complete loon like AOC or Marjorie Taylor Greene. And he gets nowhere near the attention by the media.

The problem isn't the "evils of the two party system", or "they serve too long".

It's that we treat politics as entertainment, and the person who does and says the most outrageous shit gets more attention.

The GOP had about 10 guys who would have made adequate presidents in 2016, but Trump got all the attention, because he's been playing the media since the 1980's. They might have even accomplished more.

Explain.

If you think YOUR congressman has served too long, you have the option to vote him out.

The problem is, you want to force out Congressmen in OTHER districts whose voters are just fine with his staff propping him up for votes.
I think ALL have served too long.

Critters become so by long stays in DC.

I want 2 term limits for ALL, just like the POTUS.

Yes.

Most likely this latest attempt, and the next few, will flame out fairly quickly.

We have to keep trying, though, before this ridiculous, fucked up duopoly finally brings us down.

Good luck!

Mac1958 voted FOR joe biden and the duopoly

Me included. Been hearing it for decades. And yet...

That's right. Money talks. And big donors like to bet on candidates that can actually win. There is no "win place show" feature to that bet. There is win or lose.

So, until the money in elections is reformed, this alternative party stuff is lip service. Coffee shop fodder.

I think ALL have served too long.

Critters become so by long stays in DC.

I want 2 term limits for ALL, just like the POTUS.

Tell me something, when you are going to have major surgery, do you want the kid fresh out of medical school, or the doctor who has been practicing for 20 years?

The fact is, the "congress critters" you talk about end up staying a long time because they ARE effective. That's why their voters keep returning them.

Now, I'd have no problem with an upper age limit on public service, such as let's say, 72 years, mandatory retirement.

A ‘third party’ isn’t the answer, of course.

And the problem isn’t the two-party system.

The problem – as always – is the willful ignorance, apathy, stupidity, and laziness of the American people.

Real solutions and reform come only at the very local level, when voters participate and get involved.

The American people are solely responsible for the bad government they get, not a ‘duopoly.’
For someone who has the bill of rights as their picture you seem to forget most of our founding fathers said a two party system was one things they feared about our nation.

The problem with 2 parties is they act like pro wrestling on TV when in reality those at the top are in the Uni party and keep us at the bottom fighting each other

Look at Occupy and the Tea Party. After that the media began with their racism sexism every other ism bs and we the people fight about that instead of against their corruption

Tell me something, when you are going to have major surgery, do you want the kid fresh out of medical school, or the doctor who has been practicing for 20 years?

The fact is, the "congress critters" you talk about end up staying a long time because they ARE effective. That's why their voters keep returning them.

Now, I'd have no problem with an upper age limit on public service, such as let's say, 72 years, mandatory retirement.
This guy is the problem.

Forum List

Back