Andrew Yang the latest to "launch" a third party

It is so cute how you rubes call Trump an outsider when he spent his whole adult life funding the establishment and by the end of his term had nothing but swamp critter establishment lifers on his team.
Who he funded early on is irrelevant. At the end of first term, his closest advisers were his family. The Republican established opposed him. You're revising history if you claim he was anything but an outsider.

The very second one declares democrat or republican one is no longer an outsider. Of course lesser thinkers believe otherwise.

The very second one declares democrat or republican one is no longer an outsider. Of course lesser thinkers believe otherwise.
He was a democrat before he became a republican. He went with the party that had the best chance of helping him get elected. Lesser thinkers believe that if you commit to a party, you agree with all aspects.

A ‘third party’ isn’t the answer, of course.

And the problem isn’t the two-party system.

The problem – as always – is the willful ignorance, apathy, stupidity, and laziness of the American people.

Real solutions and reform come only at the very local level, when voters participate and get involved.

The American people are solely responsible for the bad government they get, not a ‘duopoly.’
The voting system of First Past the Post system...

This what create only two parties...

"In American politics, a Libertarian Republican is a politician or Republican Party member who has advocated Libertarian policies while typically voting for and being involved with the Republican Party."
A "Libertarian Republican" is a Republican. The only thing that really matters is how you vote. A "libertarian" who votes Republican is like a vegetarian who eats meat.

You must be a MAGA.
That's a hoot. Really. Ask around.

You lie with such ease. I know lots of Libertarians and NONE of them vote Democratic. Read a Book.
Mmmm hmm. I know lots of Libertarians, and NONE of them vote Republican (or Democrat). Grow a brain.

Last edited:
here's the thing... excepting Trump, the professional parties nominated people who could run the country. For instance, in 2012, I hated Romney because I really, really hate Mormons, but I had no doubt Romney could actually run the country, would listen to the generals and the doctors and the scientists, etc.

Nuts like Perot and Nader and Gary "Roll your own" Johnson, not so much.

There's actually a really simple solution. Get rid of the stupidity that is the Electoral college, and have runoff elections. (No, not ranked choice voting, NYC showed what a clusterfuck that is). Then you people can throw your little tantrums in the first rounds and vote for third party nuts and losers, then we get around to voting for the people who can run the country.
Ranked voting system is very popular around the world and produces the generally solid governments...

I don't think the US has much exposure to it, it is quite a different way of governing....

Actually, no, a two party system is probably inevitable in our form of government. Largely because the electoral College makes a third party impractical... which is why the Whigs replaced the Federalists and the Republicans replaced the Whigs.
Joeb,

It is first past the post that creates a two party system... UK has generally got the same problem, for the same reason...

Sounds like rebranding the democrats to me. Ranked choice, guns, etc. Ranked choice is just another democrat ploy to stack the elections.
Ranked choice especially in a multi seat areas gives the a way better representation..

It gives better choice while allowing the voter to pick who they like rather than voting against the one they least like..

Why do you object to that?

Ranked choice especially in a multi seat areas gives the a way better representation..

It gives better choice while allowing the voter to pick who they like rather than voting against the one they least like..

Because the majors have a made a career of lesser-of-two-evils. All they have is fear-mongering, and the effects of that fear mongering will be greatly reduced with RCV. The parties will have to produce appealing candidates with good ideas. That scares the bejesus out of them.

Generally speaking a politically astute person who decides to support a 3rd political party is usually a democrat who is disappointed about the current administration. There might be some "Nevertrumpers" but either way it ain't good news for democrats.

When you narrow the field to the two top vote getters it welcomes corruption. Some states already have ranked voting and democrats have loaded the field in the primary with the expressed intent of getting the top two.

When you narrow the field to the two top vote getters it welcomes corruption. Some states already have ranked voting and democrats have loaded the field in the primary with the expressed intent of getting the top two.
But thats not how ranked choice works...

You might be confusing it with instant runoff and that still wouldn't work...

Please give more detail of what you think how Ranked choice works and how someone can win by loading the field.

Forum List

Back