...And then there's THAT: Replacement Battery for Electric Car cost more than the car

easyt65

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2015
If you can't afford gas for yiur car, just buy an elecric car ... whose replacement battery costs more than the car....

Very interesting. It also answers my question of why the electric golf cart in the upcoming Borgata drawing had an MSRP of $17,341. I mean, it was nice but WTF?

Doesn't take away from the fact that electric car batteries are insanely expensive...or that Hunter helped broker a deal to sell US resources, resources needed to build the batteries, to China.
Buyer beware of old EVs seems more the case to me.....Of course they have to toss in the cancer gambit.

Everyone should know by now that EV batteries are expensive.....They just paid the gas equivalent of $35.00 a gallon.....But hey, if they keep it the length of the new battery's life they will only be paying a $3.50ish a gallon equivalent at the end. :laughing0301:

Last edited:
If you can't afford gas for yiur car, just buy an elecric car ... whose replacement battery costs more than the car....

Wow.
"Then we found out the batteries aren't even available," he said. "So it didn't matter. They could cost twice as much and we still couldn't get it."
It's an issue he says isn't specific to owners of the now discontinued Ford Focus Electric.

All battery operated equipment has issues too. Shop lifts are a lot of times a dime a dozen when the batteries are shot and they do not have chargers to go with them. When our shop lift battery *$2,400.00 for new 20+ years ago* was dying we learned we could use four standard car batteries but they would only last for a few hours before needing charged and even at that it would quickly kill the car batteries running them down and recharging them like that.

Most EV batteries are in the $6-10,000 range
A major expenditure

But the EV also does not have many of the maintenance expenses of an ICE vehicle

No exhaust system, emissions controls, cooling system, fuel injection/timing, oil changes, complex transmission and drive train, major engine repairs.
Replacing an ICE engine or transmission are very expensive while an Electric Motor or simple transmission is relatively cheap

Something you need to trade off when buying an EV

Last edited:
New technology is generally always more expensive than the older technology. Here we have people complaining that the 4k Smart TV is more expensive than it's analog counter part. Heck, their neighbor is giving theirs away so why would you be so stupid to buy a new digital 4k TV?

Once Elon buys Twitter, he would come up with new technology that makes batteries totally cheap bro....why do you hate technology?

The idea of a electric car is great. The grim meat hook reality of them is not though. Electric vehicles is not some magic bullet, buy one and be worry free. There is no such thing.

Electric cars won't be a viable solution for anywhere from 15 to 20 years. Until energy storage and charging can be greatly improved and then mass produced and then proven in the real world.

No technology is great at first.

The idea of a electric car is great. The grim meat hook reality of them is not though. Electric vehicles is not some magic bullet, buy one and be worry free. There is no such thing.

I've never heard anyone ever say it was.

Electric cars won't be a viable solution for anywhere from 15 to 20 years. Until energy storage and charging can be greatly improved and then mass produced and then proven in the real world.

No technology is great at first.

It's not for everyone and won't be for many years but sadly it's all politics with some (on both sides of the argument). I simply see it as cool new technology. Buy one if you want. don't if you don't. It's sad that for so many, everything must be about politics.

I've never heard anyone ever say it was.

It's not for everyone and won't be for many years but sadly it's all politics with some (on both sides of the argument). I simply see it as cool new technology. Buy one if you want. don't if you don't. It's sad that for so many, everything must be about politics.
One "side" is trying to force it on everybody.

One "side" is trying to force it on everybody.

Nothing like this can be forced on anyone. It's political pandering, nothing more.

If I argued that everyone must be able to run a 4.3 40 yard dash before they are allowed to die, would you be worried about getting out there and start training?

Now maybe that is a slightly exaggerated example of what some argue but as rational, reasonable adults one should be able to do simple 1+1 = 2 math. Electric cars being the only option is a complete impossibility anytime in the near future. Rational adults can understand that. So while I think they are pretty cool, I still understand the rest is simply political pandering and I have no desire to make fun of those who wish to buy one or dismiss the technology out of hand.

People can say whatever they want. It being a reality is something completely different.

Nothing like this can be forced on anyone. It's political pandering, nothing more.

If I argued that everyone must be able to run a 4.3 40 yard dash before they are allowed to die, would you be worried about getting out there and start training?

Now maybe that is a slightly exaggerated example of what some argue but as rational, reasonable adults one should be able to do simple 1+1 = 2 math. Electric cars being the only option is a complete impossibility anytime in the near future. Rational adults can understand that. So while I think they are pretty cool, I still understand the rest is simply political pandering and I have no desire to make fun of those who wish to buy one or dismiss the technology out of hand.

People can say whatever they want. It being a reality is something completely different.
As long as we live off of products made in nations where they produce the same from energy produced by the fuels you hate, and in the worst Prog accusing global climate destroying ways,,, you are frauds!

As long as we live off of products made in nations where they produce the same from energy produced by the fuels you hate,
Grow up. I have never stated any hate for any energy source.

Grow up. I have never stated any hate for any energy source.
You live off it. Most Progs do the same. Want to live with nature then become Amish. None of you will of course and you believe that clean energy is magical. We see just a smidgen of the total conversion now with the dildo in office. Half human and half dildo...that would be a Joedo! With his scumbag wife Jilldo!

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but when an electric car is bought brand new, how long until a replacement battery is even needed. I'll guess that it only depends on how much driving is done.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. I actually have another transportation question if I may. How many hours can a plane fly on a full tank of gas? I wondered about this after recently seeing an episode of Family Feud when one of the final five questions at the end of the show was this one: How many hours can you be on a plane before you start to get fidgety?

I haven't been on a plane since I was eight years old and so I have no idea how long it would take me to have such feelings.

Forum List

Back