And the dems are off to fast track infrastructure with the message to the gop get on the bus or jump aside

Democrats debate fast-track for infrastructure package | TheHill

I wonder how much bipartisan the dems will pursue. And how much Manchin and Sinema will require before backing reconcilliation again.
I doubt that reconciliation will apply on this bill. I imagine they might try to stretch it into a budget thing..but I doubt that it will fly, as such.
Perhaps the Dems would be better served to keep all the culture war bs out of the bill and make it a straight infrastructure bill..with no earmarks or 'woke' provisions. Specifically, i think they need to keep the min. wage deal out of this package. Present that as a simple up and down vote in it's own bill..instead of trying to sneak it in.
Best chance for some bipartisan support--slim chance, I get it..but at least they might get the fence-sitters in their own party on board.

Dumping the filibuster is dead in the water.

There is no where in the US where infrastructure has not been upgraded in years.

Sinema and Manchin just need the slice of BACON large enough to overcome their “concern”...

I wonder how much bipartisan the dems will pursue. And how much Manchin and Sinema will require before backing reconcilliation again.

I hope they pursue bipartisan help with this bill.

The way things are supposed to work is everyone works together. Everyone has input. The best suggestions are supposed to rise to the top with bipartisan support.

Unfortunately those days ended years ago.

I doubt that reconciliation will apply on this bill. I imagine they might try to stretch it into a budget thing..but I doubt that it will fly, as such.
Perhaps the Dems would be better served to keep all the culture war bs out of the bill and make it a straight infrastructure bill..with no earmarks or 'woke' provisions. Specifically, i think they need to keep the min. wage deal out of this package. Present that as a simple up and down vote in it's own bill..instead of trying to sneak it in.
Best chance for some bipartisan support--slim chance, I get it..but at least they might get the fence-sitters in their own party on board.

Dumping the filibuster is dead in the water.
I don't think the article linked mentions it, but I read elsewhere that the dems would include tax hikes rolling back the McConnell/Trump tax cuts to partially pay for the spending. So, I think it works in reconcillation. It's not a policy bill. It's tax and spending and and deals with deficits.

I hope they pursue bipartisan help with this bill.

The way things are supposed to work is everyone works together. Everyone has input. The best suggestions are supposed to rise to the top with bipartisan support.

Unfortunately those days ended years ago.
I just don't see ten republicans voting to roll back the marginal rates on the .1% and 1%. And there's long term gains. I think Romney and Collins and others could support raising the corp tax.

Dems need to abandon any hope that Republicans will be bipartisan.....even on nonpartisan issues.

Infrastructure is badly needed nationwide. So are the resulting good paying jobs.
But Republicans will not allow Biden a win.
So Republicans will scream......Pork, Pork, Pork and every Republican will vote against it.

Then, when new infrastructure is built in Red areas of the country, Republicans will take credit

Dems need to abandon any hope that Republicans will be bipartisan.....even on nonpartisan issues.

Infrastructure is badly needed nationwide. So are the resulting good paying jobs.
But Republicans will not allow Biden a win.
So Republicans will scream......Pork, Pork, Pork and every Republican will vote against it.

Then, when new infrastructure is built in Red areas of the country, Republicans will take credit
The dems won't do it, but imo the infrastructure plan should really be using new revenues to create a fund that states could borrow from, for approved state projects, and the feds would put up the money with super low interest. That's how some cities have fixed their water. That way states have to get with the bill or not get any help. Their senators and reps would be "on the clock."

There is no where in the US where infrastructure has not been upgraded in years.
You do know that Mississippi is still without water don't you? Their water mains hadn't been upgraded in 75 years.
Water mains are usually repaired one break or several blocks at a time because it costs millions to dig them up and replace.
You have to be able to repair/replace pipes that are anywhere between 6"-20" as well as repair/replace the roads.
Making the pipes accessible without breaking the roads is near impossible because there's only about a foot or so of road between the pipes and the top of the road.
A major city like NYC can somewhat afford to have underground worlds like sewers but many smaller cities and towns can't.

Forum List

Back