And in other news...

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
An in other news...

There has to be other news that is just as, if not more so important and relevant than what is driving people to post here, to gather online, and to gather at the proverbial water fountain/cooler.

Small talk, emotional responses to people, events -- what gets pushed to the sidelines, or ignored when hot topic buttons are pushed by news information? Things don't really change in most of our lives when news takes over. They really don't. And if they do (caveat), it's small changes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/08/business/economy/labor-strikes.html

A Georgia Town Where ‘Stranger Things’ Is Shot Yearns for Production to Return​

The impact of the writers’ and actors’ strikes has rippled far from Hollywood, including to the town where the hit TV series is partially filmed.

1696780094992.png

An in other news...

There has to be other news that is just as, if not more so important and relevant than what is driving people to post here, to gather online, and to gather at the proverbial water fountain/cooler.

Small talk, emotional responses to people, events -- what gets pushed to the sidelines, or ignored when hot topic buttons are pushed by news information? Things don't really change in most of our lives when news takes over. They really don't. And if they do (caveat), it's small changes.

Amid Strikes, One Question: Are Employers Miscalculating?

A Georgia Town Where ‘Stranger Things’ Is Shot Yearns for Production to Return

The impact of the writers’ and actors’ strikes has rippled far from Hollywood, including to the town where the hit TV series is partially filmed.
In essence, all news is fake.

And on multiple levels.

The idea that one experience, idea or event is somehow more important than another is ludicrous.

Arbitrary to the max.

An in other news...

Meanwhile in other news this morning NPR did a piece on taking the "Cold Water Plunge". Strangely enough, I met one of the "cold plunge" enthusiast a few days ago at a boat launch ramp at Cotter Springs, Arkansas last week. The guy (another of the many conservative late 60s military retired vacationers I met in the mountainous land of trout fishing and white people [kind of strikingly amazing in itself if never seeing a place like that] in the Ozark Mountains from all over the country) swore by the benefits (physically and mentally) of his daily plunge into the 50 degree waters of these trout streams. Though he said at that time of day, he could only go out chest deep as the dam release was 5 hours earlier and the crest was arriving over the craggy bottom with a flow speed close to 10 mph. Indeed, after dark, I witnessed the nighttime boat rescue of an inattentive angler, caught unaware in his waders, becoming stranded on an island, having to use his cellphone to call the rescue squad for help. Great job by the Baxter County Cotter Springs Rescue Squad, BTW, and something they are well prepared for, with their huge flatbottom jetboat with lighting that allows them to navigate those swift waters, even at night.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2023/10/08/1204411415/cold-plunge-health-benefits-how-to
Off the subject, but here are a few shots from the trip, one from the Cotter Springs launch ramp day time of a couple of fly fishers, one from Kayaking on the White River, and selfie of me at my campsite by the river.
1696797789811.png

1696796447434.png

1696796679318.jpeg

Meanwhile in other news this morning NPR did a piece on taking the "Cold Water Plunge". Strangely enough, I met one of the "cold plunge" enthusiast a few days ago at a boat launch ramp at Cotter Springs, Arkansas last week. The guy (another of the many conservative late 60s military retired vacationers I met in the mountainous land of trout fishing and white people [kind of strikingly amazing in itself if never seeing a place like that] in the Ozark Mountains from all over the country) swore by the benefits (physically and mentally) of his daily plunge into the 50 degree waters of these trout streams. Though he said at that time of day, he could only go out chest deep as the dam release was 5 hours earlier and the crest was arriving over the craggy bottom with a flow speed close to 10 mph. Indeed, after dark, I witnessed the nighttime boat rescue of an inattentive angler, caught unaware in his waders, becoming stranded on an island, having to use his cellphone to call the rescue squad for help. Great job by the Baxter County Cotter Springs Rescue Squad, BTW, and something they are well prepared for, with their huge flatbottom jetboat with lighting that allows them to navigate those swift waters, even at night.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2023/10/08/1204411415/cold-plunge-health-benefits-how-to
Off the subject, but here are a few shots from the trip, one from the Cotter Springs launch ramp day time of a couple of fly fishers, one from Kayaking on the White River, and selfie of me at my campsite by the river.
View attachment 840332

View attachment 840326

View attachment 840328

Love it.

I wanted so badly to try Fly Fishing when I was traveling for a year. I envy your fun there. And I love that bridge. I'm a fan of water, bridges, trains and a few other things when I travel.

In essence, all news is fake.

And on multiple levels.

The idea that one experience, idea or event is somehow more important than another is ludicrous.

Arbitrary to the max.
It's really not arbitrary, 'If it bleeds it leads' because the broadcast news is in the business of gathering the most eyes and ears.

View attachment 840332

View attachment 840326

View attachment 840328
You be havin' too much fun!!!

Love it.

I wanted so badly to try Fly Fishing when I was traveling for a year. I envy your fun there. And I love that bridge. I'm a fan of water, bridges, trains and a few other things when I travel.
It is a great looking bridge. The city did the lighting on it about two years ago. The water level is controlled by Bull Shoals Dam and fluctuate 6 - 9 ft almost every day. That tall hydroelectric dam is far enough away by river the swell of water takes 4 or 5 hours to get to Cotter. When they release through the turbines, horns sound up and down the valley as warning for the wading fly fishermen wading out in the stream and out to the many islands. Of course, in the rocks and crags right below the dam, the water rises 6 plus feet in 10 minutes or less. Fishermen there know to get the heck out as soon as the horn sounds

It is a great looking bridge. The city did the lighting on it about two years ago. The water level is controlled by Bull Shoals Dam and fluctuate 6 - 9 ft almost every day. That tall hydroelectric dam is far enough away by river the swell of water takes 4 or 5 hours to get to Cotter. When they release through the turbines, horns sound up and down the valley as warning for the wading fly fishermen wading out in the stream and out to the many islands. Of course, in the rocks and crags right below the dam, the water rises 6 plus feet in 10 minutes or less. Fishermen there know to get the heck out as soon as the horn sounds

Good thing it takes a while for levels to rise. It would be fascinating to observe. Looking at links to Cotter Springs, Arkansas. If I ever go through the area, I know where to stop for a break.

ty

Forget Santa! Grizzlies Are Coming to Town. Can the West Live With Them?​

Montana and its neighbors are adopting new strategies to deal with the increasing number of bears and attacks on humans.

Aries, an Anatolian shepherd, warily watches a stranger approach a pen where he and other members of his family — including eight fuzzy, 2-month-old puppies — roam alongside a grunting pig and several bleating goats.

Livestock guard dogs like Aries are in demand in Montana these days, an important tool as the state deals with an increasing number of grizzly bears.
Anatolians — large, muscular dogs that originated in Turkey and were bred by shepherds — are extremely loyal and highly protective of those in their care, even against top predators.

“We have gray wolves, grizzly and black bears here,” said Natalie Thurman, owner of Apex Anatolians, whose pups go for $3,300 each. “We just had a grizzly bear in the creek a hundred yards from here.”

Scary animal:

Grizzly bears are a daily concern for residents in the northern Rockies. The bears no longer live only in the remote high country, in parks, wilderness and surrounding areas. Instead, they have increasingly moved into the valleys and prairies to reclaim portions of their old realm.

They wander onto golf courses, break into homes, stalk chicken coops and raid cornfields. Montana is home to 2,100 grizzlies, by far the most in the lower 48 states, with much smaller populations mainly in Idaho and Wyoming.

Grizzly bear attacks frequently make headlines in this part of the country. Amie Adamson, a 47-year-old Kansas resident, was killed by a grizzly in July as she jogged near Yellowstone National Park. That bear and its cub were captured and euthanized later in the summer after they broke into a cabin and stole dog food. Last year, Craig Clouatre, 40, of Montana, was killed by a grizzly as he searched for antlers shed by elk near Yellowstone.

According to the Clark Planetarium, this will be the last significant solar eclipse that will be visible in Utah until 2045.
SALT LAKE CITY — The Clark Planetarium will host a celebration of the upcoming solar eclipse. The "Eclipse Extravaganza" will provide an opportunity for the public to view the eclipse, which will occur on Oct. 14.

The planetarium said it will host the event at the Olympic Legacy Plaza inside The Gateway. The event will run from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Visitors can view the eclipse and enjoy free games and activities.

The moon will begin to eclipse the sun at 9:09 a.m., according to the Clark Planetarium. Maximum coverage will occur around 10:28 a.m. The eclipse will last until 11:57 a.m., the planetarium said.
This will be a fun event.

An in other news...

and in other news...

Crypto was never more than a solution in search of a problem
By Adam Lashinsky
Contributing columnist
October 11, 2023

During jury selection in the ongoing federal fraud trial of the dethroned crypto kingpin Sam Bankman-Fried, one prospective juror worried out loud about his lack of knowledge of cryptocurrencies, despite his son’s efforts to explain them to him. “I still don’t understand how it works,” the would-be juror said. Lewis A. Kaplan, the sharp-tongued U.S. District Court judge overseeing the trial, responded: “You probably have a lot of company in this court.”

The confusion is understandable. More than a decade after cryptocurrencies were launched, the promise of these alternative currencies has amounted to little more than broken dreams. Nascent technologies can only remain the next big thing for so long. At some point, regular people need to start using them, which most certainly isn’t happening with crypto. So, while a jury in New York won’t return a verdict on the fate of Bankman-Fried for weeks, the judgment on crypto already is clear: It is a solution in search of a problem.
Crypto was supposed to represent nothing less than a paradigmatic shift in the global finance industry. Its backers, led by Silicon Valley venture capitalists bent on divining their next fortunes, envisioned a new, digital form of currency that couldn’t be controlled by any government. They dreamed of a new method of stored value, like gold. And they foresaw a more efficient way for people to move money across borders, given that the global remittance business is stodgy and controlled by a small handful of companies.

There are a lot of reasons for crypto’s fall. Governments — particularly the U.S. government, which oversees the most important fiat currency in the world — offer better-than-decent protection against the scam artists and other fraudsters who have run roughshod over the largely unregulated crypto industry.

I thought the guy was found well, and at home.

Body of Avon man missing for months found in well at his home, officials say​

A State Police spokesman confirmed the man’s body had been found in a statement released shortly before 8 p.m. An investigation into the man’s death is ongoing, the statement said.

There were no obvious signs of trauma to the man’s body, David Traub, a spokesman for the Norfolk district attorney’s office said in an email.

The man’s body was turned over to the state medical examiner’s office. An autopsy will performed on Sunday or Monday, Traub said.

“More may be known relating to the cause and manner of death following that procedure,” Traub said.

Forum List

Back