An Unusual Workout Protocol - Super Slow Motion

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I started a diet recently, and for some reason latched onto a hybrid workout program that combines a couple different programs in a way that I've never heard of before, although I'm sure SOMEBODY has done it before.

Note: I am a 72 year old man and I've been working out regularly for many decades, changing the workout as I get the occasional new inspiration.

So here's the thing: I want to do three whole-body workouts per week. At my age a few new factors come into play. For one thing, the limiting factor for most of my exercises is my tolerance for pain, rather than the limits of my strength. Relatedly, I have to execute the exercises as properly as possible, and with full range, in order to avoid injuries.

So here's what I do: Big muscles to little, legs, abs, then uppers.
  • leg extensions,
  • leg curls,
  • leg presses,
  • calf raises,
  • abs (either planks or crunches or an ab machine, depending on what's available),
  • chest presses or pushups,
  • triceps extensions,
  • lat pulldowns,
  • butterflies,
  • arm curls,
  • shoulder raises,
  • 20 minutes of soft cardio (heart rate around 100).
But here's the thing: I do these exercises in a super slow manner, with perfect form. Each rep is 12-15 seconds, and I do about 75% of the weight that I would do if I were executing the reps in a "normal" cadence. Fact is, I can only do three or four reps before the muscles are exhausted. If I think I have a little more to give, I take a five second break and do another rep. These reps take less than five minutes in total from the time I get on the machine until I get off.

And by the time I'm done with this I am totally exhausted.

Thoughts?

slow mo training is probably the safest form of training if you have joint issues or old injuries like back shoulder ect ..

At 72 years old, there's nothing wrong with working out more slowly and carefully. After all, a pulled muscle at 72 has worse consequences than pulling a muscle at 22.

I do one (1) set of each. The muscles are exhausted at the end of the three or four repetitions, and in fact I try for another rep but fail, before I stop. I have found that even if I go back a while later to that exercise, the muscle is worn out, and I can barely do a single rep.

If you have ever done the Nautilus circuit, their philosophy (Dr. Ellington Darden) is the same. One set, which lasts until you cannot do even one more rep. Then you are done, and move on to the next machine.

Forum List

Back