An interesting observation regarding DACA today

My Baba and Gido were proud to have conquered the English language. To master English is no small feat. And yes, they did everything they could to assimilate but still held on to their heritage. Consequently I went to a Ukrainian school to learn to read and write in Ukrainian and of course dancing lessons as well. But in the home, everyone spoke English.

And most certainly in public English was spoken. It was considered rude to speak anything other than English in front of others.
But not the Queen's English so you did it wrong...

Most certainly the Queen's English. My dad's side of the family were from Ireland and England. Then there was the southern branch of the family. Now that's a whole different kinda English. It used to make my mother crazy every time I spoke "southern".

"Fixin" to do something drove her up the wall.

:lol:

So I'm on my way to the hospital because of a back injury and knowing the asinine long waits I decide to stop at McDonald's and grab a coffee and biscuit.

Fox News is on the tv as it is every time I come here but today it actually has the volume turned up and about half of the employees are watching intently instead of doing their jobs. DACA is being discussed and I have to wonder why only the Mexican employees are glued to the tv while everyone else is working. Could it be that they are actually fearful that immigration law may for once be enforced properly? It's hard to tell because they're all speaking Spanish instead of English.

Don't get me wrong, I do have pity for those brought here as a baby and are now teens but this issue must be addressed.

I just find it irritating that when dealing with customer service in my home country English is now just an option. A perfect example is calling my utility company to pay my bill and having to press 1 for English several times with each new menu. If you're going to be here fucking assimilate

But didn't Trump campaign on getting rid of the thugs and criminals that were here illegally?

The people in your story were working and being productive members of our society. Of course they were concerned. They want to live here and have a chance at success, same as your ancestors did when they came here.

And let's not forget, the OP's family is likely not native American and thus you are here because of immigrants being allowed in this country. You're also a convicted felon. So who should be allowed to stay in this country?

I dont understand the beef with pressing a button for the language of preference. Thats like entitlement mentality 101.
Go to Russia. There is no "press one for Russian". You don't want to understand.

So I'm on my way to the hospital because of a back injury and knowing the asinine long waits I decide to stop at McDonald's and grab a coffee and biscuit.

Fox News is on the tv as it is every time I come here but today it actually has the volume turned up and about half of the employees are watching intently instead of doing their jobs. DACA is being discussed and I have to wonder why only the Mexican employees are glued to the tv while everyone else is working. Could it be that they are actually fearful that immigration law may for once be enforced properly? It's hard to tell because they're all speaking Spanish instead of English.

Don't get me wrong, I do have pity for those brought here as a baby and are now teens but this issue must be addressed.

I just find it irritating that when dealing with customer service in my home country English is now just an option. A perfect example is calling my utility company to pay my bill and having to press 1 for English several times with each new menu. If you're going to be here fucking assimilate

But didn't Trump campaign on getting rid of the thugs and criminals that were here illegally?

The people in your story were working and being productive members of our society. Of course they were concerned. They want to live here and have a chance at success, same as your ancestors did when they came here.

No one cares. The spot they take was stolen. I don't care about these kids, america first. And so you know, most of these guys are 20 something. They have zero rights to be here. Screw them.

Why are you patronizing a business if you feel that the way it's run is unacceptable?

I dont understand the beef with pressing a button for the language of preference. Thats like entitlement mentality 101.
Go to Russia. There is no "press one for Russian". You don't want to understand.
There are some Russian enclaves in some U.S. cities where all you are going to hear is Russian...
Having nothing to do with the topic, troll posts it anyway.

I don't understand the beef with enforcing the law. That IS entitlement mentality.
WTF does English only have to do with DACA? The entire point is that the young people HAVE assimilated.

There's a different issue as to whether people illegally here and subject to deportation should be able to find employment.

The DACA question, instead, seems to me to center on whether essentially giving these people amnesty, who are without doubt contributing members of the US society, gives some incentive to others to come here illegally. That is should we punish these DACA folks who did not choose to violate the law in order to dissuade other people from violating the law? It's a peculiarly thorny issue of basic human morality/empathy, and it is not subject to an easy black/white answer. And even if you come down on the side of supporting DACA, you may be implicitly supporting breaking up nuclear families who would send CHILDREN to live with other people, not all of whom may be self-sacrificing people whose primary interest is benefiting children.

No one cares. The spot they take was stolen. I don't care about these kids, america first. And so you know, most of these guys are 20 something. They have zero rights to be here. Screw them.

How does it feel to be a living/breathing/walking hypocrisy?

Why are you patronizing a business if you feel that the way it's run is unacceptable?
Because I anticipated being pumped full of drugs and I didn't want it to be on an empty stomach. Thanks for your concern

Because I anticipated being pumped full of drugs and I didn't want it to be on an empty stomach. Thanks for your concern

Get yourself one of those new fangled homes with a kitchen, a stove, and a refrigerator.

Get yourself one of those new fangled homes with a kitchen, a stove, and a refrigerator.
Yes, standing in a kitchen cooking with a newly dislocated hip sounds like a fantastic time....

Idiot

How does it feel to be a living/breathing/walking hypocrisy?
I don't know that he's so much a hypocrite as an idiot. They didn't have any intent to "steal." They didn't choose to come here. Have they taken jobs from Americans? I don't see that. If you have a nursing or teaching degree, and can pass the drug screens and stuff, I think there's a job for you. Anyone trying to get into a professional graduate program has to prove citizenship or legal states, and I've just been through that with my own kid and seen her friends do the same, some who are legal aliens.

They may be taking jobs, but I've not seen any support for that. They are human beings deserving of compassion and respect. Whether DACA sets us up for more illegal immigration. .... that's a question.

America was settled by whom?

Dutch.

Puritans who spoke a form of English we'd need a translator to understand…

Swedish.

Germans.

Then later… Irish… West Africans… Mexicans who settled on our side of the border...

Assimilate?? into a multi-national, multiethnic culture… English is a common language, but the only language spoken in America.

The fact that no whites were working at Mc D's says a lot about the work ethic and laziness of the lower class whites in America -- entitled and priviledged because of the color of their skin… They work at standing in line at the unemployment office, bitching about having their jobs "taken" away…

Meanwhile, McDonalds does not allow franchises to hire undocumented workers. Legal citizens who happen to be bilingual get up early to make your big macs.

America was settled by whom?

Dutch.

Puritans who spoke a form of English we'd need a translator to understand…

Swedish.

Germans.

Then later… Irish… West Africans… Mexicans who settled on our side of the border...

Assimilate?? into a multi-national, multiethnic culture… English is a common language, but the only language spoken in America.

The fact that no whites were working at Mc D's says a lot about the work ethic and laziness of the lower class whites in America -- entitled and priviledged because of the color of their skin… They work at standing in line at the unemployment office, bitching about having their jobs "taken" away…

Meanwhile, McDonalds does not allow franchises to hire undocumented workers. Legal citizens who happen to be bilingual get up early to make your big macs.
The point is if these people came here as children and were educated here why are they speaking fluent Spanish & broken English?
Seems to me that theory is only partially true at best. Meaning a lot of these people did not grow up here.

I don't understand the beef with enforcing the law. That IS entitlement mentality.
WTF does English only have to do with DACA? The entire point is that the young people HAVE assimilated.

There's a different issue as to whether people illegally here and subject to deportation should be able to find employment.

The DACA question, instead, seems to me to center on whether essentially giving these people amnesty, who are without doubt contributing members of the US society, gives some incentive to others to come here illegally. That is should we punish these DACA folks who did not choose to violate the law in order to dissuade other people from violating the law? It's a peculiarly thorny issue of basic human morality/empathy, and it is not subject to an easy black/white answer. And even if you come down on the side of supporting DACA, you may be implicitly supporting breaking up nuclear families who would send CHILDREN to live with other people, not all of whom may be self-sacrificing people whose primary interest is benefiting children.
Yeah, that's why so many still can't speak good English, America hater.

Making everyone speak English is the law?
Not illegally entering our country is. Expecting to just be left alone despite being illegal is entitlement
Why do you assume that all those who enter the country illegally speak Spanish?
why not?

Forum List

Back