Amy Coney Barrett's America

"So that’s that then. The confirmation hearings are over and it is almost inevitable that Amy Coney Barrett will be confirmed as a supreme court justice before the November election. Barrett will shift the supreme court from a 5-4 conservative majority to a 6-3 super-majority, a move that could fundamentally reshape America. Goodbye civil rights, hello Gilead.

You’ve got to hand it to the Republicans really; they get things done. They don’t care about being called hypocrites. They don’t care about ignoring Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s dying wish that she not be replaced until after the election. They don’t care about common decency. They don’t care about democracy. They just care about power – and they will do whatever it takes to get it."

No, Republicans and conservatives don’t care about any of that.
let's pack the court later....ya didn't wanna listen and wait till the new president is elected. Don't cry later.

FDR, with the House and Senate being Democratic, tried to pack the court to gain an advantage and public opinion, strongly Democrats, stopped him. Lots of things you can think of doing but lots of things may fail to happen because public opinion is against packing the court. Everything has a reaction, good or bad.
I'm 100% sure that most Americans against appointing a supreme court judge days from a major election. I'm also certain that most of Americans would like to pack the court to balance it and not leave it 6-3 as cons want to.

"So that’s that then. The confirmation hearings are over and it is almost inevitable that Amy Coney Barrett will be confirmed as a supreme court justice before the November election. Barrett will shift the supreme court from a 5-4 conservative majority to a 6-3 super-majority, a move that could fundamentally reshape America. Goodbye civil rights, hello Gilead.

You’ve got to hand it to the Republicans really; they get things done. They don’t care about being called hypocrites. They don’t care about ignoring Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s dying wish that she not be replaced until after the election. They don’t care about common decency. They don’t care about democracy. They just care about power – and they will do whatever it takes to get it."

With the exception of roberts who is a gadfly, conservative black robes are strict constructionists who do not make up law that isnt there

in the past liberals have achieved socisl change through activist lib judges that they could not pass through congress

that will be far more difficult now

let's pack the court later....ya didn't wanna listen and wait till the new president is elected. Don't cry later.

FDR, with the House and Senate being Democratic, tried to pack the court to gain an advantage and public opinion, strongly Democrats, stopped him. Lots of things you can think of doing but lots of things may fail to happen because public opinion is against packing the court. Everything has a reaction, good or bad.
I'm 100% sure that most Americans against appointing a supreme court judge days from a major election. I'm also certain that most of Americans would like to pack the court to balance it and not leave it 6-3 as cons want to.

You would be wrong, only 38% of Americans are in favor of Trump replacing Ginsberg, not anywhere near your 100% sure number. Replacing a Supreme Court justice been done many times during an election year and given the chance, the Democrats would have done the same.

Only 32% of Americans are in favor of packing the Supreme Court, so on both counts you are wrong. Nice to know your ideas are a minority opinion. Got anything else you are sure about?

If she gave a shit about the Constitution, she would refuse to be considered citing the Republicans' actions on Garland.

Republican actions were perfectly consistent with the Constitution.
In 2020 not 2016. Where in the Constitution does it say that the Senate majority leader gets to decide if the nominee gets consideration?

Where in the Constitution does it say that the Senate majority leader gets to decide if the nominee gets consideration?

View attachment 403891

Thanks for proving my point. It says Senate, not the Senate majority leader. The Senate never considered Garland, there was no vote, no committee hearing, no discussion.

Thanks for proving my point. It says Senate, not the Senate majority leader.

Ummmm.....just how do you think business gets done in the Senate?

The Senate never considered Garland, there was no vote, no committee hearing, no discussion.

Where in the Constitution does it say that the Senate has to hold a vote, a hearing, a discussion?
"The United States Constitution provides that the president "shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate,"

If she gave a shit about the Constitution, she would refuse to be considered citing the Republicans' actions on Garland.

In 2020 not 2016. Where in the Constitution does it say that the Senate majority leader gets to decide if the nominee gets consideration?

Where in the Constitution does it say that the Senate majority leader gets to decide if the nominee gets consideration?

View attachment 403891

Thanks for proving my point. It says Senate, not the Senate majority leader. The Senate never considered Garland, there was no vote, no committee hearing, no discussion.

The Senate never considered Garland, there was no vote, no committee hearing, no discussion.

Where in the Constitution does it say that the Senate has to hold a vote, a hearing, a discussion?
So, you think the Constitution was written to give so much power to a persion not elected in a country wiude election? The majority leader is not the Senate.

I'm 100% sure that most Americans against appointing a supreme court judge days from a major election.

Why?

View attachment 403891

"The United States Constitution provides that the president "shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate,"

Thanks for admitting your error.

View attachment 403891

So, you think the Constitution was written to give so much power to a persion not elected in a country wiude election? The majority leader is not the Senate.

View attachment 403891

Kinda like Pelosi and the House, huh?

THE END OF CIVIL RIGHTS!

GOP PLANS TO ROLL SENIORS OFF CLIFF!

NO MORE HEALTHCARE FOR THE POOR!

GOP WANTS TO CUT WAGES TO GIVE MORE TO THE RICH!

REPUBLICANS TO BRING BACK SLAVERY!

Every four years, we have to put up with the same idiot tripe from you knuckleheads. End of the world if republcans get in office, yet none of it ever happens.
We are going to feed grandma dogfood and we hate puppies.

You sure are "certain" about how most Americans feel, Issa! What gives you this amazing insight into the thoughts of American citizens? (eye roll)

You sure are "certain" about how most Americans feel, Issa! What gives you this amazing insight into the thoughts of American citizens? (eye roll)

His arrogance.

You would be wrong, only 38% of Americans are in favor of Trump replacing Ginsberg, not anywhere near your 100% sure number. Replacing a Supreme Court justice been done many times during an election year and given the chance, the Democrats would have done the same.

Only 32% of Americans are in favor of packing the Supreme Court, so on both counts you are wrong. Nice to know your ideas are a minority opinion. Got anything else you are sure about?

Read again I said I'm 100%most americans ...you need glasses. That been said "57% who believe her successor should be appointed and confirmed by next year’s Senate and president"

I'm 100% sure that most Americans against appointing a supreme court judge days from a major election.

Why?
57% who believe her successor should be appointed and confirmed by next year’s Senate and presiden

57% who believe her successor should be appointed and confirmed by next year’s Senate and presiden

Why?

Why do they believe that?
Are they ignorant of the Constitution? Ignorant of history?

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- A slim 51% majority of Americans support federal judge Amy Coney Barrett to fill the U.S. Supreme Court seat left vacant by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's death last month. At the same time, 46% of U.S. adults do not want Barrett to be seated, and 3% do not yet have an opinion of her nomination.

You won’t be around much longer anyway so why do you care?

Why?

The Constitution gives the current senate the right to confirm or reject the nominee. The Republicans are in control of the Senate and the Presidency and we damn well know that if the situation were reversed that the Democrats would do the exact same thing and I’m in full agreement. Each party feels that their ideas on how to run the country are superior to the other party. So, if you deep down inside felt America would be better off with appointing a nominee from your side of the aisle, then you have an obligation to get that nominee before the Senate. Polling on fair or not fair is useless and a stupid way to run a country.

Forum List

Back