America's National Parks

I'm a Brit in the UK, so, America's National Parks knowledge required.

I assume they're quite big, do you go camping for a week or two etc.., a spot of kayaking and fishing off the beaten track?

Yes.

They are so big that people often get lost and die of exposure.

Well, they're not all big. They come in all sizes. Some are bigger than most European countries.

But if I were European, I'd visit America's parks before going to New York or Los Angeles.

1639528679016.png

This is Yosemite National park, perhaps you have heard of it.

As you can see, plenty of lush green grass, a few bushes, and places to sit and enjoy nature.

The three most popular national parks are Yellow Stone, Yosemite and Glacier.
I went to Yellow Stone in the winter once.
It was great.
No crowds.
You could see wolf tracks in the snow.

I assume they're quite big, do you go camping for a week or two etc.., a spot of kayaking and fishing off the beaten track?
America's National Parks are quite diverse. Many are vast, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Canyonlands, Sequoia-Kings Canyon, Olympic, Glacier, Grand Tetons but some are somewhere in the middle Bryce Canyon, Mesa Verde, Death Valley, Redwoods, Devils Tower, Crater Lake,Carlsbad Caverns--these are definite candidates for camping although most of these have large lodges that can accommodate visitors. There are also many national monuments, White Sands, Devil's Post Pile, Muir Woods, and many can be seen in hours or a day. The common link is that they are all amazing and will pique your interests whatever they may be. The list I've included is very limited and they are all in the western US. The list is much more extensive. Here are some links that will answer most questions that you may have. Find a Park (U.S. National Park Service) List of National Parks in the United States 2021
Enjoy!

We also have vast areas of National Forest and BLM lands that one is free to roam in. Some of these are just as unique as some of our National Parks.

We also have vast areas of National Forest and BLM lands that one is free to roam in. Some of these are just as unique as some of our National Parks.
So do most folk go into the larger National Parks for the day or do they spend weeks at a time camping, fishing etc..

So do most folk go into the larger National Parks for the day or do they spend weeks at a time camping, fishing etc..
Entry fees into national parks are usually for seven days. Bear in mind that if you intend to stay in the park, either camping or lodging, you would be well advised to make reservations. Also research fishing regs as state fishing licenses are required and many national parks are "catch and release." The larger parks, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Sequoia-Kings Canyon, Canyonlands will take more than a couple days to see. Parks like Carlsbad Caverns can be seen in a day.

Most that want to spend a long time in one place go to National Forests and BLM lands. There are many places in these lands where there will not be anybody else around for weeks at a time. Also, dark skies, something many that have not been out of urban areas find amazing.

The NPS says they have installed 100 charging points between 2016 and 2019, but they are parks that are near metropolitan areas. I doubt there are many--if any in any of the remote parks which are the majority. Electric Vehicles - Sustainability (U.S. National Park Service)
I had a quick read of your link. Did you know an EV reduces your carbon ICE footprint by only 17% to 30%. Also, we've stepped out into the road a few times because we didn't hear a car, but jumped as the EV was right behind us.

If you read the link knowing this, it's very biased and naive.

How many charge points are installed in the Grand Canyon? Also, what's America's largest national park? Can you stay in the middle for a week or two after towing a caravan on an EV?

I had a quick read of your link. Did you know an EV reduces your carbon ICE footprint by only 17% to 30%. Also, we've stepped out into the road a few times because we didn't hear a car, but jumped as the EV was right behind us.

If you read the link knowing this, it's very biased and naive.

How many charge points are installed in the Grand Canyon? Also, what's America's largest national park? Can you stay in the middle for a week or two after towing a caravan on an EV?
I wouldn't use one myself. The largest NP, I believe would be Wrangell-St. Elias in Alaska and I believe you would be hard pressed to find a charging station anywhere near that park.

Forum List

Back