America's National Parks

I wouldn't use one myself. The largest NP, I believe would be Wrangell-St. Elias in Alaska and I believe you would be hard pressed to find a charging station anywhere near that park.
I'm nearly 56, hoping to buy my last ICE vehicle before legalisation bans new ICE vehicles (UK). Then hopefully it'll do me for the next decade or so until I stop driving. EV's are not on my radar either.

I'm a Brit in the UK, so, America's National Parks knowledge required.

I assume they're quite big, do you go camping for a week or two etc.., a spot of kayaking and fishing off the beaten track?
We not only have National Parks, but also wilderness areas. Some of these are as grand as the National Parks, such as the Steens Mountain in Oregon.

Hell's Canyon, Grand Coolie, ... hell, anyplace in Idaho in better than anyplace in Iowa ...

Have seen the Grand Coulee several times it is massive! Seen Dry Falls, Palouse Falls, Snohomish Falls both Falls awesome in May at its peak.

He is from Oregon which is why I brought up those two I live just inside the Southern border of Washington/Oregon thus seen the Gorge, Mary hill, Stonehedge replica.

Have seen the Grand Coulee several times it is massive! Seen Dry Falls, Palouse Falls, Snohomish Falls both Falls awesome in May at its peak.

He is from Oregon which is why I brought up those two I live just inside the Southern border of Washington/Oregon thus seen the Gorge, Mary hill, Stonehedge replica.

Along the US-395 Urban Corridor ... How much ash did you get from Mt St Helens? ...

ETA: For those outside the area, US-395 is how we travel the 1200 mile length of California in 8 hours ... this is the wide open, straight as an arrow shot down the desert ...

I assume they're quite big, do you go camping for a week or two etc.., a spot of kayaking and fishing off the beaten track?
Sure, all of the above

Buy the annual pass for about $20 and it gets you into any park all year long

Along the US-395 Urban Corridor ... How much ash did you get from Mt St Helens? ...

Just a minimal trace could see the dark cloud bank to the north that looked ominous, but it stayed away.

Me and my brother had gone up to a hill in Southern Kennewick that Sunday morning because we could see a dark cloud slowly coming in from the west wondering if a giant thunderstorm was coming in but as we looked at it wondered at its unusual appearance that made us wonder what that is, soon went back down the hill to his house and I went home to discover a Volcano was pouring its wrath into the sky all over the TV.

I was just 20 years old........

Just a minimal trace could see the dark cloud bank to the north that looked ominous, but it stayed away.

Me and my brother had gone up to a hill in Southern Kennewick that Sunday morning because we could see a dark cloud slowly coming in from the west wondering if a giant thunderstorm was coming in but as we looked at it wondered at its unusual appearance that made us wonder what that is, soon went back down the hill to his house and I went home to discover a Volcano was pouring its wrath into the sky all over the TV.

I was just 20 years old........

Jesus fucking Christ you're OLD ... I was only 18-years-old and I'm older than dirt itself, there in the Toutle River Valley ... I was living in Humboldt County at the time, didn't hear about it until the next day ...

Lord have mercy, you're old enough to remember the 20th Century ... how horrible ...

My kinfolk in Moses Lake got nailed ... four feet of ash ...

Sure, all of the above

Discover Pass allows UNLIMITED access to State of Washington Parks and more for annual $30 fee.

About the Pass​

The Discover Pass offers you access to millions of acres of state recreation lands in Washington, including:

LINK

Sure, all of the above

Annual passes are a bit more than that--I believe they are $80. Still a great deal when you take into account the entry fees into some of the parks for a week are $20 or more.

Discover Pass allows UNLIMITED access to State of Washington Parks and more for annual $30 fee.

About the Pass​

The Discover Pass offers you access to millions of acres of state recreation lands in Washington, including:

LINK

Funny story about taxes ... off-topic but illustrative of liberal taxing schemes that work ...

You know the story as well as I ... economic downturns reduce tax revenues, State government has to cut spending ... this one year, it was the State Park Offices that came under the knife, and all funding from the general tax fund was cut, every dime ... Parks had to charge a parking fee for any money at all ... thinking park attendance would be cut in half, they set the charge of $5 per day, I think $30 per year ...

Park visits doubled ...

All revenue had to stay in Parks, heaping mounds of cash in the middle of the Housing Crisis ... which is how Oregon found herself limiting school/courts/law enforcement to four days a week at a time State Park signs are going up everyplace, huge parking lots in wilderness areas and an in general massive increase in park resources throughout the State ...

Only the tourists are safe here ... residents live in fear of their lives at all times ...

Funny story about taxes ... off-topic but illustrative of liberal taxing schemes that work ...

You know the story as well as I ... economic downturns reduce tax revenues, State government has to cut spending ... this one year, it was the State Park Offices that came under the knife, and all funding from the general tax fund was cut, every dime ... Parks had to charge a parking fee for any money at all ... thinking park attendance would be cut in half, they set the charge of $5 per day, I think $30 per year ...

Park visits doubled ...

All revenue had to stay in Parks, heaping mounds of cash in the middle of the Housing Crisis ... which is how Oregon found herself limiting school/courts/law enforcement to four days a week at a time State Park signs are going up everyplace, huge parking lots in wilderness areas and an in general massive increase in park resources throughout the State ...

Only the tourists are safe here ... residents live in fear of their lives at all times ...

State of Washington created this Discover pass because they were going to lose a lot of funding support:

The Washington State Legislature and Governor created the Discover Pass in 2011 to offset steep reductions in general tax support for parks and other recreation lands and facilities operated by Washington State Parks, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) and the Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

LINK

:)

I would imagine some of them might rival the size of the UK.

Annual passes are a bit more than that--I believe they are $80. Still a great deal when you take into account the entry fees into some of the parks for a week are $20 or more.
There are many different passes available

But you are correct about the basic pass with no discount

State of Washington created this Discover pass because they were going to lose a lot of funding support:

LINK

:)
I am not a fan of the discover pass. WA charges $5 on auto registrations to support the parks as well. Granted, it can be removed from the registration without penalty, but why am I not granted a discover pass if I pay it on my reg? Also, there is a disparity in the number of parks and water accesses depending on where in the state you live. Great deal if you live in the populated areas of the Puget Sound. Not so good if you live in Clarkston.

Forum List

Back