Americans are giving Chinese-made products the cold shoulder...40% will not buy from China

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Let's get this number up to 75 or 80%. I had already been a little more attentive to products made in China, since the virus ad their public comments about America, I'm quite vigilant. The communist party needs to pay a steep price.

When people talk about the West "blaming" foreigners, I just shake my own head and might gently suggest they shake their owns. It's about the government of China and their lies, not racism. A word that increasingly has far less meaning of late.

It’s not quite a new Cold War yet. Just the cold shoulder.

Some 40 per cent of Americans said they won’t buy products from China, according to a survey of 1,012 adults conducted May 12-14 by Washington-based FTI Consulting, a business advisory firm. That compares with 22 per cent who say they won’t buy from India, 17 per cent who refuse to purchase from Mexico and 12 per cent who boycott goods from Europe.

The poll also found: 55 per cent don’t think China can be trusted to follow through on its trade-deal commitments signed in January to buy more U.S. products; 78 per cent said they’d be willing to pay more for products if the company that made them moved manufacturing out of China; 66 per cent said they favour raising import restrictions over the pursuit of free-trade deals as a better way to boost the U.S. economy. For observers of trade policy, that last point is striking because a large majority in the U.S. have traditionally shunned protectionism. According to Gallup, almost four-fifths of Americans embrace international commerce as an opportunity rather that a threat, a number that’s steadily risen over the past decade.

After two years of tariff wars and now the scourge of a coronavirus that originated in China, it’s hardly surprising to see some souring of U.S. public opinion about the country’s main economic rival. But the degree of the shift and the timing of it — less than six months before a presidential election — may mark a sea change in the electorate. It could embolden some of China’s harsher critics in Washington, with huge potential consequences for financial markets.

Last edited:
The U.S. couldn’t crush Vietnam. What makes everybody here think it can crush China?

Now if any of you decides not to buy from China, that’s your right. Same if Trump raises tariffs arbitrarily or with Congress’ support. Nobody can force Americans to buy Chinese products. But then don’t expect to sell American products to their 1.4 billion people, or employ their people’s labor and skills.

And what exactly do you propose to do about others in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America who do wish to trade with China? There’s a lot of big talk here. But not much clear thinking.

Let's get this number up to 75 or 80%. I had already been a little more attentive to products made in China, since the virus ad their public comments about America, I'm quite vigilant. The communist party needs to pay a steep price.

When people talk about the West "blaming" foreigners, I just shake my own head and might gently suggest they shake their owns. It's about the government of China and their lies, not racism. A word that increasingly has far less meaning of late.

It’s not quite a new Cold War yet. Just the cold shoulder.

Some 40 per cent of Americans said they won’t buy products from China, according to a survey of 1,012 adults conducted May 12-14 by Washington-based FTI Consulting, a business advisory firm. That compares with 22 per cent who say they won’t buy from India, 17 per cent who refuse to purchase from Mexico and 12 per cent who boycott goods from Europe.

The poll also found: 55 per cent don’t think China can be trusted to follow through on its trade-deal commitments signed in January to buy more U.S. products; 78 per cent said they’d be willing to pay more for products if the company that made them moved manufacturing out of China; 66 per cent said they favour raising import restrictions over the pursuit of free-trade deals as a better way to boost the U.S. economy. For observers of trade policy, that last point is striking because a large majority in the U.S. have traditionally shunned protectionism. According to Gallup, almost four-fifths of Americans embrace international commerce as an opportunity rather that a threat, a number that’s steadily risen over the past decade.

After two years of tariff wars and now the scourge of a coronavirus that originated in China, it’s hardly surprising to see some souring of U.S. public opinion about the country’s main economic rival. But the degree of the shift and the timing of it — less than six months before a presidential election — may mark a sea change in the electorate. It could embolden some of China’s harsher critics in Washington, with huge potential consequences for financial markets.

I think what really needs to take place is to make it obvious where the product is manufactured. I've purchased products in the past that had no labeling on the package, and only after you open it find out where it's made.

If you deal with Amazon almost exclusively as I do, you can find out many things about the product you're looking at online. You can click on the product to find more in depth detail, even move your curser to the various positions of the product for a closer view. The one thing you will not find is where the product is made. This needs to change.

The cult will stop buying Chinese imports until Dotard starts praising them again like he did back in January. How much brain room do you care to give to people who support the likes of Trump, an ex reality TV hack who couldn't even read his own script?

The U.S. couldn’t crush Vietnam. What makes everybody here think it can crush China?

Now if any of you decides not to buy from China, that’s your right. Same if Trump raises tariffs arbitrarily or with Congress’ support. Nobody can force Americans to buy Chinese products. But then don’t expect to sell American products to their 1.4 billion people, or employ their people’s labor and skills.

And what exactly do you propose to do about others in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America who do wish to trade with China? There’s a lot of big talk here. But not much clear thinking.

The US is by far the biggest trade partner China has. The $400b trade deficit needs to reduced, buying fewer Chinese goods helps.
U.S. goods and services trade with China totaled an estimated $737.1 billion in 2018. Exports were $179.3 billion; imports were $557.9 billion. The U.S. goods and services trade deficit with China was $378.6 billion in 2018.

The rest of the world can do what they want. China needs to know what happens when they act irresponsibly

The cult will stop buying Chinese imports until Dotard starts praising them again like he did back in January. How much brain room do you care to give to people who support the likes of Trump, an ex reality TV hack who couldn't even read his own script?

I'm assuming you haven't heard Basement Joe's rants now have you?

I recently took possession of a wonderful new 20" bicycle, a birthday gift for my Grand-daughter. It cost $325 from REI. Made in China. It is well-designed, well-made, complete in every way, including some extra spare parts and a small tool kit.

Had it been made in the U.S. the cost would have been at least double, and I probably wouldn't have bought it.

This was one of millions of analogous transactions in which Americans buy goods made in China that are dramatically cheaper than they would otherwise have been. The trend before this sea-change was for American stuff to be of really bad quality, and not always complete or correct, which is why the shift to China was so smooth.

These cheaper goods have enriched our lives and left billions in American pockets that wouldn't have been there had Chinese goods not been available.

The accusations of Chinese misconduct in the Corona Virus thing may make some people feel good, but NOBODY in this country saw this coming (other than medical professional doom-sayers), and I have no doubt that the CHinese also had no idea how bad it would get, or exactly how it would get there. To presume that they planned this is neurotic bullshit.

Buy American if you like. I will do likewise, but at least initially we will be paying more than we should for stuff that is lower quality than we are getting now.

People are ignorant. You can depend on it.

I recently took possession of a wonderful new 20" bicycle, a birthday gift for my Grand-daughter. It cost $325 from REI. Made in China. It is well-designed, well-made, complete in every way, including some extra spare parts and a small tool kit.

Had it been made in the U.S. the cost would have been at least double, and I probably wouldn't have bought it.

This was one of millions of analogous transactions in which Americans buy goods made in China that are dramatically cheaper than they would otherwise have been. The trend before this sea-change was for American stuff to be of really bad quality, and not always complete or correct, which is why the shift to China was so smooth.

The accusations of Chinese misconduct in the Corona Virus thing may make some people feel good, but NOBODY in this country saw this coming (other than medical professional doom-sayers), and I have no doubt that the CHinese also had no idea how bad it would get, or exactly how it would get there. To presume that they planned this is neurotic bullshit.

Buy American if you like. I will do likewise, but at least initially we will be paying more than we should for stuff that is lower quality than we are getting now.

Better to pay more now, than to pay even more later.

You don’t get it. The Communist Party a.k.a the regime is a global danger. Much like the gang in Moscow was until Reagan put his foot down & crushed the Soviets. It won’t happen overnight, but it will happen. China is pissing off a lot of people with the Belt & Road when they see the true cost of doing business with these bastards. No, only the unconditional surrender of communism will suffice.

These cheaper goods have enriched our lives and left billions in American pockets that wouldn't have been there had Chinese goods not been available.

As a person who worked in industry most of my adult life, I can assure you that quality is the last thing you can say about China. Several of our customers outsourced work to China, and it came back defective or no QC. Sure, the companies in China are happy to correct the mistakes, but not refund shipping and handling as part of their warranty. Companies chose to have the processes done here because in the long run, it saved them money.

• Thanks
Reactions: KGB

So you’d sell your soul for a cheap TV made in some sweatshop. Good to know...

There is no accusation. It’s a fact Beijing is 100% responsible for this virus. The criminal incompetence of the regime knows no bounds.

You don’t get it. The Communist Party a.k.a the regime is a global danger. Much like the gang in Moscow was until Reagan put his foot down & crushed the Soviets. It won’t happen overnight, but it will happen. China is pissing off a lot of people with the Belt & Road when they see the true cost of doing business with these bastards. No, only the unconditional surrender of communism will suffice.

That remains to be seen as we Americans have very short memories. I hope (as do you) that this time, we stick to our guns, and avoid buying Chinese made products.

That remains to be seen as we Americans have very short memories. I hope (as do you) that this time, we stick to our guns, and avoid buying Chinese made products.

Ask people if they being locked up in their homes for two months due to CCP malfeasance. That’s all the reminder they’ll need.

Ask people if they being locked up in their homes for two months due to CCP malfeasance. That’s all the reminder they’ll need.

Yeah, we thought so after 911, and then we elected a guy by the name of Barack Hussein Obama. Mosques started opening up right around the corner from where the WTC buildings used to stand. The Democrats were suing to make sure captured terrorists had constitutional rights. Again, I hope this time is different. But we Americans have a fixation on saving a few dollars.

Yeah, we thought so after 911, and then we elected a guy by the name of Barack Hussein Obama. Mosques started opening up right around the corner from where the WTC buildings used to stand. The Democrats were suing to make sure captured terrorists had constitutional rights. Again, I hope this time is different. But we Americans have a fixation on saving a few dollars.

We do, but this time everyone was personally impacted. 9/11 was horrific, but the physical impact was felt only in NY, PA, & DC. This time, there isn’t a place anywhere in the US spared by the CCP virus.

New Topics

Forum List

Back