Americans are giving Chinese-made products the cold shoulder...40% will not buy from China

The U.S. couldn’t crush Vietnam. What makes everybody here think it can crush China?

Now if any of you decides not to buy from China, that’s your right. Same if Trump raises tariffs arbitrarily or with Congress’ support. Nobody can force Americans to buy Chinese products. But then don’t expect to sell American products to their 1.4 billion people, or employ their people’s labor and skills.

And what exactly do you propose to do about others in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America who do wish to trade with China? There’s a lot of big talk here. But not much clear thinking.

The US is by far the biggest trade partner China has. The $400b trade deficit needs to reduced, buying fewer Chinese goods helps.
U.S. goods and services trade with China totaled an estimated $737.1 billion in 2018. Exports were $179.3 billion; imports were $557.9 billion. The U.S. goods and services trade deficit with China was $378.6 billion in 2018.

The rest of the world can do what they want. China needs to know what happens when they act irresponsibly

I would love to see an end to U.S. balance of trade deficits (and U.S. budget deficits also!) ... BUT that is very unlikely to happen so long as the U.S. insists on maintaining its dollar supremacy in world trade. The Triffin Paradox — Triffin dilemma - Wikipedia — means that a country whose currency dominates global trading must almost necessarily run trade deficits. The exception being conditions like after WWII, when there was no serious competition to U.S. products on world markets. The global supremacy of the dollar means we can “monetarize” all our debts, use our fiat money on world markets without limit, exploit weaker economies via keeping them in debt and subservient to our finance capital. It has proven profoundly corrupting of our society, which moreover is addicted to meddling overseas to protect this monopoly and way of life.

Harder work, more education, less Wall Street speculation and crony capitalism, less waste and more institutional efficiency — these are what is needed to improve U.S. competitiveness. MORE not less world economic and financial integration is needed. Less U.S. imperialism. Of course adjustments can be made along the way, tariffs put in place here or there, but dollar supremacy in the end will likely fade, and so will the relative weight of American economic and military power. China and the RMB is not ready to replace the U.S. and the Dollar — and never will be if we act intelligently. But the days of Federal Reserve ability to monetarize U.S. debts unilaterally is coming to an end.

Last edited:
Let's get this number up to 75 or 80%. I had already been a little more attentive to products made in China, since the virus ad their public comments about America, I'm quite vigilant. The communist party needs to pay a steep price.

When people talk about the West "blaming" foreigners, I just shake my own head and might gently suggest they shake their owns. It's about the government of China and their lies, not racism. A word that increasingly has far less meaning of late.

It’s not quite a new Cold War yet. Just the cold shoulder.

Some 40 per cent of Americans said they won’t buy products from China, according to a survey of 1,012 adults conducted May 12-14 by Washington-based FTI Consulting, a business advisory firm. That compares with 22 per cent who say they won’t buy from India, 17 per cent who refuse to purchase from Mexico and 12 per cent who boycott goods from Europe.

The poll also found: 55 per cent don’t think China can be trusted to follow through on its trade-deal commitments signed in January to buy more U.S. products; 78 per cent said they’d be willing to pay more for products if the company that made them moved manufacturing out of China; 66 per cent said they favour raising import restrictions over the pursuit of free-trade deals as a better way to boost the U.S. economy. For observers of trade policy, that last point is striking because a large majority in the U.S. have traditionally shunned protectionism. According to Gallup, almost four-fifths of Americans embrace international commerce as an opportunity rather that a threat, a number that’s steadily risen over the past decade.

After two years of tariff wars and now the scourge of a coronavirus that originated in China, it’s hardly surprising to see some souring of U.S. public opinion about the country’s main economic rival. But the degree of the shift and the timing of it — less than six months before a presidential election — may mark a sea change in the electorate. It could embolden some of China’s harsher critics in Washington, with huge potential consequences for financial markets.
So much for globalism.

The U.S. couldn’t crush Vietnam. What makes everybody here think it can crush China?

Now if any of you decides not to buy from China, that’s your right. Same if Trump raises tariffs arbitrarily or with Congress’ support. Nobody can force Americans to buy Chinese products. But then don’t expect to sell American products to their 1.4 billion people, or employ their people’s labor and skills.

And what exactly do you propose to do about others in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America who do wish to trade with China? There’s a lot of big talk here. But not much clear thinking.

You don’t get it. The Communist Party a.k.a the regime is a global danger. Much like the gang in Moscow was until Reagan put his foot down & crushed the Soviets. It won’t happen overnight, but it will happen. China is pissing off a lot of people with the Belt & Road when they see the true cost of doing business with these bastards. No, only the unconditional surrender of communism will suffice.

That remains to be seen as we Americans have very short memories. I hope (as do you) that this time, we stick to our guns, and avoid buying Chinese made products.

Ask people if they being locked up in their homes for two months due to CCP malfeasance. That’s all the reminder they’ll need.

Yeah, we thought so after 911, and then we elected a guy by the name of Barack Hussein Obama. Mosques started opening up right around the corner from where the WTC buildings used to stand. The Democrats were suing to make sure captured terrorists had constitutional rights. Again, I hope this time is different. But we Americans have a fixation on saving a few dollars.

We do, but this time everyone was personally impacted. 9/11 was horrific, but the physical impact was felt only in NY, PA, & DC. This time, there isn’t a place anywhere in the US spared by the CCP virus.

I hope you're right, because it certainly worked on me. If I have to pay 50% more for an American made product, I'll just have to do with less products. Take note however how the left is sticking up for China; even going as far as stating we don't know if they're responsible. Unfortunately, this is where we are. I don't expect Democrats to boycott any Chinese products.

Too long overdue. Communism must be crushed...

We should start here!

1589775969629.jpeg

1589776009228.jpeg

Let's get this number up to 75 or 80%. I had already been a little more attentive to products made in China, since the virus ad their public comments about America, I'm quite vigilant. The communist party needs to pay a steep price.

When people talk about the West "blaming" foreigners, I just shake my own head and might gently suggest they shake their owns. It's about the government of China and their lies, not racism. A word that increasingly has far less meaning of late.

Some 40 per cent of Americans said they won’t buy products from China, according to a survey of 1,012 adults conducted May 12-14 by Washington-based FTI Consulting, a business advisory firm. That compares with 22 per cent who say they won’t buy from India, 17 per cent who refuse to purchase from Mexico and 12 per cent who boycott goods from Europe.

The poll also found: 55 per cent don’t think China can be trusted to follow through on its trade-deal commitments signed in January to buy more U.S. products; 78 per cent said they’d be willing to pay more for products if the company that made them moved manufacturing out of China; 66 per cent said they favour raising import restrictions over the pursuit of free-trade deals as a better way to boost the U.S. economy. For observers of trade policy, that last point is striking because a large majority in the U.S. have traditionally shunned protectionism. According to Gallup, almost four-fifths of Americans embrace international commerce as an opportunity rather that a threat, a number that’s steadily risen over the past decade.

After two years of tariff wars and now the scourge of a coronavirus that originated in China, it’s hardly surprising to see some souring of U.S. public opinion about the country’s main economic rival. But the degree of the shift and the timing of it — less than six months before a presidential election — may mark a sea change in the electorate. It could embolden some of China’s harsher critics in Washington, with huge potential consequences for financial markets.
Cool,those people are true people who care about their country :thup:

Thats good. Whats upsetting is that everything is made in China, from our vitamin supplements to frozen dinners. We need to demand retailers to let us know where these products are comming from.

Gee...I wonder why Americans don't feel like buying Chinese made products?
Gee I wonder why they ever fucking did. Ya they were cheap but also trash. How many times did we catch them putting poison in products like baby food and dry wall. How fucking cheap have the products been> They have been awefull from the get go yet we ate them up. You can barely find a quality American made product today and most the American public would no longer know quality if they saw it. Hell I walked into a furniture store a couple of years back and they wanted 10 grand for some particle board case goods. This tells me the American public is stupid to even see this price tag. You have idiots paying 10k for particle board and the people who know quality are going to auctions and buying heir loom quality furniture for a couple hundred dollars and laughing at the rest. I would rather have used solid wood than shit particle board. Lets hope this changes but I would not bet on it.

You don’t get it. The Communist Party a.k.a the regime is a global danger. Much like the gang in Moscow was until Reagan put his foot down & crushed the Soviets. It won’t happen overnight, but it will happen. China is pissing off a lot of people with the Belt & Road when they see the true cost of doing business with these bastards. No, only the unconditional surrender of communism will suffice.

That remains to be seen as we Americans have very short memories. I hope (as do you) that this time, we stick to our guns, and avoid buying Chinese made products.

Ask people if they being locked up in their homes for two months due to CCP malfeasance. That’s all the reminder they’ll need.

Yeah, we thought so after 911, and then we elected a guy by the name of Barack Hussein Obama. Mosques started opening up right around the corner from where the WTC buildings used to stand. The Democrats were suing to make sure captured terrorists had constitutional rights. Again, I hope this time is different. But we Americans have a fixation on saving a few dollars.

We do, but this time everyone was personally impacted. 9/11 was horrific, but the physical impact was felt only in NY, PA, & DC. This time, there isn’t a place anywhere in the US spared by the CCP virus.

I hope you're right, because it certainly worked on me. If I have to pay 50% more for an American made product, I'll just have to do with less products. Take note however how the left is sticking up for China; even going as far as stating we don't know if they're responsible. Unfortunately, this is where we are. I don't expect Democrats to boycott any Chinese products.

agreed on the last part. I check labels very carefully now. And I’m willing to pay more for US products...they’ll last longer anyway

Thats good. Whats upsetting is that everything is made in China, from our vitamin supplements to frozen dinners. We need to demand retailers to let us know where these products are comming from.

Very true. Companies get their work done in China, and when it's packaged here in the US, they throw a Made in US label on it, and nobody knows the difference.

In Italy, consumers have more solidarity with their fellow citizens, so they avoid buying products not made in Italy. To make cheaper products, some of those companies imported Chinese workers, particularly from Wuhan, and look at the mess that caused in their country. The workers were traveling back and forth from there to China, bringing the virus with them by the thousands of people.

The only things where we look to see where it's made and avoid Made in China items at all cost are items put into our (or our pets) bodies. This is limited to vitamin supplements for us and dog/cat treats for our pets. Oh, and wood flooring if we're ever in the market since I did hear of the problem of high levels of formaldehyde in manufacturing laminate and engineered wood floors

Apart from that, because the wife does most of the shopping I'm not sure if there's much of a choice.

The US is by far the biggest trade partner China has. The $400b trade deficit needs to reduced, buying fewer Chinese goods helps.
U.S. goods and services trade with China totaled an estimated $737.1 billion in 2018. Exports were $179.3 billion; imports were $557.9 billion. The U.S. goods and services trade deficit with China was $378.6 billion in 2018.

The rest of the world can do what they want. China needs to know what happens when they act irresponsibly

I would love to see an end to U.S. balance of trade deficits (and U.S. budget deficits also!) ... BUT that is very unlikely to happen so long as the U.S. insists on maintaining its dollar supremacy in world trade. The Triffin Paradox — Triffin dilemma - Wikipedia — means that a country whose currency dominates global trading must almost necessarily run trade deficits. The exception being conditions like after WWII, when there was no serious competition to U.S. products on world markets. The global supremacy of the dollar means we can “monetarize” all our debts, use our fiat money on world markets without limit, exploit weaker economies via keeping them in debt and subservient to our finance capital. It has proven profoundly corrupting of our society, which moreover is addicted to meddling overseas to protect this monopoly and way of life.

Harder work, more education, less Wall Street speculation and crony capitalism, less waste and more institutional efficiency — these are what is needed to improve U.S. competitiveness. MORE not less world economic and financial integration is needed. Less U.S. imperialism. Of course adjustments can be made along the way, tariffs put in place here or there, but dollar supremacy in the end will likely fade, and so will the relative weight of American economic and military power. China and the RMB is not ready to replace the U.S. and the Dollar — and never will be if we act intelligently. But the days of Federal Reserve ability to monetarize U.S. debts unilaterally is coming to an end.

Mostly Correct.
Nothing much to push back on, except your projected future looks bleaker because the US dollar would no longer be the fiat currency. China wants to be the top dog, and is playing unfairly to get there, no one else has a top economy to replace the US except China. Picture the world with a fading US, when our $30T+ Debt finally crushes the US Budget, and the US military shrinks significantly, and there is no one to keep bad actors in-line. The world will be a much different place.

US Imperialism? I don't recall pushing any legitimate governments around with muscle? How are we "imperialistic"?

One last straw for Trump to grasp is "negative interest rates". Will that shrink the US Debt? Is that a good thing? It didn't help those who tried it before. Trump's tax cut gamble to grow the economy above 5% failed miserably. I'm not even sure what the best play is to keep the US as the top economy long term. Raise taxes? Cut spending? Both? Here is when the Fed needs to pull a "brilliancy" out of their ass.

p.s. welcome aboard, for a relatinve newby you post very intelligently. Ignore the trolls.

I recently took possession of a wonderful new 20" bicycle, a birthday gift for my Grand-daughter. It cost $325 from REI. Made in China. It is well-designed, well-made, complete in every way, including some extra spare parts and a small tool kit.

Had it been made in the U.S. the cost would have been at least double, and I probably wouldn't have bought it.

This was one of millions of analogous transactions in which Americans buy goods made in China that are dramatically cheaper than they would otherwise have been. The trend before this sea-change was for American stuff to be of really bad quality, and not always complete or correct, which is why the shift to China was so smooth.

These cheaper goods have enriched our lives and left billions in American pockets that wouldn't have been there had Chinese goods not been available.

The accusations of Chinese misconduct in the Corona Virus thing may make some people feel good, but NOBODY in this country saw this coming (other than medical professional doom-sayers), and I have no doubt that the CHinese also had no idea how bad it would get, or exactly how it would get there. To presume that they planned this is neurotic bullshit.

Buy American if you like. I will do likewise, but at least initially we will be paying more than we should for stuff that is lower quality than we are getting now.

People are ignorant. You can depend on it.

I'm glad you had a good experience with the communists. Most stuff I've bought made in China has been junk. From tools to table fans. I'm glad at least TV's are made in either Japan or South Korea so I can feel confident it will last longer than a couple of months (or uses).

I'm not sure what you mean by ignorant. If you think China has some nice plans for the West, when their own minister has blamed American soldiers for the virus (and they push that narrative to this day) and Xinhua threatens to withhold PPE and pharmaceuticals that will “plunge America into the mighty sea of coronavirus.” than I will ask just who is ignorant.

China wants to be the reserve currency of the world, they want to rule at min. Asia, and this is shown with their vast expansion of military and man-made islands. Just wait until their next two aircraft carriers are built. They spy, steal, threaten, bully, spit on the rest of the world while using the greed of so many to leverage this. On top of this they hardly consume U.S products while taking countless jobs for their low wage workers and throw dissidents in prison.

I'd say if anything, the vast underestimating of the harm China would do and has done, outweighs any worries and cautions expressed by many. I will never trust a Communist Party official.

Last edited:
This is actually bad news. Producing goods in China has allowed us to bust many of the unions in America. Bringing those jobs back to America could allow a rebirth of unions in America which would once again allow unions to put a stranglehold on American companies.

This is actually bad news. Producing goods in China has allowed us to bust many of the unions in America. Bringing those jobs back to America could allow a rebirth of unions in America which would once again allow unions to put a stranglehold on American companies.

I doubt that. Outside of government, unions are gone forever in my opinion. An American company that is unionized still can't compete against an American company that's non-unionized. American consumers will still always be focused on cheeper products, even if they practice a Chinese boycott.

Besides, if China is out of the picture, that doesn't mean companies won't move to other cheap labor countries like Vietnam, Brazil, Mexico just to name a few.

What's wrong with American Workers making a living wage? Unions allow that to happen.

Forum List

Back