"American Sniper" wins one single Oscar (for sound-editing)

No. The Oscars are based on marketing and advertising to Academy voters by the producers. How much swag you give them.
In a way, yes....but still. I live in the area (San Diego) and listen to a big LA radio station (KFI) that had tons of advertising for the Oscars over the last few months. The only one that seemed to win considering the amount spent on advertising was "Big Hero 6"...all the rest got virtually nothing.

The kind of advertising I'm speaking of is more of a personal nature. Phone calls, cocktail parties, gifts sent by courier to their homes, speeches at gatherings propping up their movies, word of mouth, awards given at other events, text messages, tweets, film critics, advertisments in the mail, opinions spread on talk shows like "The View",.......

Many of the voters probably never saw the damned thing but they heard it was good. Birdman is a primary example. Who actually paid the see it? A third of America paid to see the other films but who saw the film's that won all of the awards?

If you want to see films that are more deserving let the viewing public vote for them. They know what is good.

Last edited:
Birdman was better than American Sniper.

I haven't seen either but I suspect you're right.

However, the US celebrates and love violence and phony patriotism so I"m sure 'Sniper' will continue to do better at the box office.

Which film is better is purely subjective.

I didn't see any of them and often I do see them after they won and I feel that the movie sucks. I suppose it has something to do with taste. Some movies get more consideration than they deserve.

one has to wonder if dildo Micheal Moore complained about

the snipers that protected his big fat white ass

at the academy awards

sniper.jpg

You have an amazing grasp of the obvious. A movie is a product. The better the product the more people buy it. The people have spoken.

For all the hype Selma got when it came out in sank pretty badly. The hype surrounding American Sniper, on the other hand, was largely based on being a blockbuster itself.

The hype for the sniper was based on the right wing media trying to wrap themselves in the flag. If fox advocated eating grass, their drones would rush to change their diet.

I'm not sure action/dramas are usually known for winning Oscar awards. The hype surrounding the movie was probably the only reason it was nominated in the first place. Oh well. It was an extremely successful movie anyways.

With all the free advertisement given to that movie by fox and their associated right wing media sources, it's odd that it wasn't more successful. Imagine how much more it would have made with all that free advertising if it was a good movie.

You kidding, right? You have to be the movie set box office records. As for media hype it received far less then Selma which truly was a dud.

Wrong again.

No. The Oscars are based on marketing and advertising to Academy voters by the producers. How much swag you give them.
In a way, yes....but still. I live in the area (San Diego) and listen to a big LA radio station (KFI) that had tons of advertising for the Oscars over the last few months. The only one that seemed to win considering the amount spent on advertising was "Big Hero 6"...all the rest got virtually nothing.

What fox did was not direct advertising. They presented the movie as if it were a news story,

Birdmam is about THEM. About an actor trying to shake his typecast as a former character and trying to revive his career. The Hollywood crowd ate it up. Same as if a bunch of military folks voted...the sniper movie would win. Its natural that actors will love a movie about the struggles of...an aging actor.

America votes with cash. And American Sniper is the winner.

What fox did was not direct advertising. They presented the movie as if it were a news story,

When? Show us the story. And Selma wasn't plastered all over the news....right.

You have an amazing grasp of the obvious. A movie is a product. The better the product the more people buy it. The people have spoken.

For all the hype Selma got when it came out in sank pretty badly. The hype surrounding American Sniper, on the other hand, was largely based on being a blockbuster itself.

The hype for the sniper was based on the right wing media trying to wrap themselves in the flag. If fox advocated eating grass, their drones would rush to change their diet.

I think "American Sniper" was as anti- war as you can get but because the director didn't suck anybody's dick and actually called Obama an empty chair the film had no chance of winning. Clint Eastwood isn't the liberal darling he used to be. Figure the odds on any film directed by Mel Gibson or Clint Eastwood getting much deserved awards ever again.

Birdmam is about THEM. About an actor trying to shake his typecast as a former character and trying to revive his career. The Hollywood crowd ate it up. Same as if a bunch of military folks voted...the sniper movie would win. Its natural that actors will love a movie about the struggles of...an aging actor.

And "The Last Airbender" made almost twice as much money, but was one of the worst movies ever made. Go figure.

I think "American Sniper" was as anti- war as you can get but because the director didn't suck anybody's dick and actually called Obama an empty chair the film had no chance of winning. Clint Eastwood isn't the liberal darling he used to be. Figure the odds on any film directed by Mel Gibson or Clint Eastwood getting much deserved awards ever again.

I was wondering how long it would take for the usual RW whining about

The Great Liberal Conspiracy

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Yeah. Actors are real people.

That lousy fuck Sean Penn presented the award. His joke about a green card was classic Sean Penn. What a putz!!!

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

:anj_stfu::ahole-1::50:

Selma was not nominated for really anything accept for the music stuff. The whole night as an appeasement, patronizing, pathetic, apologeting night.

I am declaring a state of emergency for the Sniper snub.

The award wasn't based on profit made. McDonalds brings in more money than the Smithsonian Museum, so does that make it better?

:anj_stfu::ahole-1::50:

Is that the official announcement of your new screen name?

You guys pay a ton of attention to people you claim to dislike. Did you also disagree with the fashionistas?

You have an amazing grasp of the obvious. A movie is a product. The better the product the more people buy it. The people have spoken
In fact, Fifty Shades of Greys seen by many people and given terrible reviews at the same time. Popularity and quality are different concepts.

Forum List

Back