America was not founded on....

First Amendment: An Overview

The First Amendment of the United States Constitution protects the right to freedom of religion and freedom of expression from government interference. It prohibits any laws that establish a national religion, impede the free exercise of religion, abridge the freedom of speech, infringe upon the freedom of the press, interfere with the right to peaceably assemble, or prohibit citizens from petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. It was adopted into the Bill of Rights in 1791. The Supreme Court interprets the extent of the protection afforded to these rights. The First Amendment has been interpreted by the Court as applying to the entire federal government even though it is only expressly applicable to Congress. Furthermore, the Court has interpreted the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment as protecting the rights in the First Amendment from interference by state governments.

Freedom of Religion

Two clauses in the First Amendment guarantee freedom of religion. The Establishment Clause prohibits the government from passing legislation to establish an official religion or preferring one religion over another. It enforces the "separation of church and state." However, some governmental activity related to religion has been declared constitutional by the Supreme Court. For example, providing bus transportation for parochial school students and the enforcement of "blue laws" is not prohibited. The Free Exercise Clause prohibits the government, in most instances, from interfering with a person's practice of their religion.

First Amendment
The establishment clause of the first amendment only applied to the federal government.

Madison tried to get the establishment clause to apply to the states but was defeated in the Senate.

Look it up.

If the Right was as racist as the Left claims it to be then it would support abortion in order to ensure the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Black children each year.

To the above I would add, Now that we have kicked God out, how are things?

We kicked God out? Really?
Yep. Even the Democrat party has kicked God out. That's why the left is in such a tizzy since Trump was elected. American citizens aren't going to be punished for standing up to the godless hordes any longer.

So the God you worship, Creator of the Universe, can be removed from people's lives by simply not allowing public displays by the gov't?

Wow.

Yep. Even the Democrat party has kicked God out. That's why the left is in such a tizzy since Trump was elected. American citizens aren't going to be punished for standing up to the godless hordes any longer.

So the God you worship, Creator of the Universe, can be removed from people's lives by simply not allowing public displays by the gov't?

Wow.
Public displays can be removed, yes. God? No. By the way, when the President elect is sworn into office and chooses to lay his hand on a Bible to take the oath, why don't the godless heathen throw a fit?

Wow.
Public displays can be removed, yes. God? No. By the way, when the President elect is sworn into office and chooses to lay his hand on a Bible to take the oath, why don't the godless heathen throw a fit?

Because the President chooses what he uses for his oath. Teddy Roosevelt did not take his oath on the Bible. Neither did John Quincey Adams or Franklin Pierce. Roosevelt, Adams and Pierce all placed their hand on a law book.

Wow.

Because the President chooses what he uses for his oath. Teddy Roosevelt did not take his oath on the Bible. Neither did John Quincey Adams or Franklin Pierce. Roosevelt, Adams and Pierce all placed their hand on a law book.
I know that, but you didn't answer my question. Since you believe public displays of God should not be allowed by the State, why don't the godless hordes throw a fit when a President elect or anyone for that matter chooses to take the oath of office with their hand on a Bible?

Wow.

I know that, but you didn't answer my question. Since you believe public displays of God should not be allowed by the State, why don't the godless hordes throw a fit when a President elect or anyone for that matter chooses to take the oath of office with their hand on a Bible?
I certainly did answer the question. They don't throw a fit because it is a personal choice by the President elect.

Wow.

I certainly did answer the question. They don't throw a fit because it is a personal choice by the President elect.
So personal choice is allowed for religious displays. So why are some judges forcing people to remove religious displays? This is so confusing, huh,

Wow.

So personal choice is allowed for religious displays. So why are some judges forcing people to remove religious displays? This is so confusing, huh,
So you wouldn't mind a mooslim woman showing up to court in a burka?

Wow.

What confuses me is that so many Christians seem to think God hears prayers made by loud groups in display. Why is it so important that 100 people gather and pray loudly? Does God not hear your prayers if you pray alone?

What confuses me is that so many Christians seem to think God hears prayers made by loud groups in display. Why is it so important that 100 people gather and pray loudly? Does God not hear your prayers if you pray alone?
Well, that's beside the point since they have a Constitutional right to pray. Your personal feelings about Christian beliefs don't enter into this. Why would you deny American citizens their constitutional rights?

Well, that's beside the point since they have a Constitutional right to pray. Your personal feelings about Christian beliefs don't enter into this. Why would you deny American citizens their constitutional rights?

It is THE point. Unless prayer in groups or outloud is required, no one has been denied their right to pray.

who is denying anyone the right to pray? they just can't pray on my dime or with gubment sponsorship

It is THE point. Unless prayer in groups or outloud is required, no one has been denied their right to pray.
So what's the problem? The only point I see is that you have a personal problem with Christians and how they pray.

who is denying anyone the right to pray? they just can't pray on my dime or with gubment sponsorship
But we do pray on government property. There are public prayers at every Presidential inauguration. When are the godless hordes going to stop that?

The myth of America being “founded on the Christian religion” is one of the more pernicious lies propagated by the right.

Conservatives use this lie to justify their opposition to the Framers’ mandate that church and state remain separate, and to justify their hostility toward the privacy rights of women.

Then why didn't the founders live like you say they wanted the nation to be?

This is like the 2nd Amendment where the left claims it applies to a militia. If so, it should be easy to show us examples of unarmed citizens and armories full of guns after the Constitution passed.

What you are preaching is not the reality the founders lived.

Mark

This is like the 2nd Amendment where the left claims it applies to a militia. If so, it should be easy to show us examples of unarmed citizens and armories full of guns after the Constitution passed.

Where were the English headed when they were marching toward Lexington and Concord?

Where were they headed Winston?

Mark

To the armory in Concord.

So what's the problem? The only point I see is that you have a personal problem with Christians and how they pray.

No, not at all. I have a problem with the insistence that they be allowed to push their beliefs on others, in the form of laws based on religious doctrines. And I have a problem with them demanding to be allowed to have their beliefs on display on public property, while not wanting displays of other beliefs on the same property.

No, not at all. I have a problem with the insistence that they be allowed to push their beliefs on others, in the form of laws based on religious doctrines. And I have a problem with them demanding to be allowed to have their beliefs on display on public property, while not wanting displays of other beliefs on the same property.
Laws are passed by legislators, not churches. Regarding displays, I really don't care who does what. However, there really isn't anything much more irritating than the muslim call to prayer. If they build a mosque near me, I'm moving.

America was indeed founded on Christian principles. After the very first president was elected, he and all of Congress spent the rest of the day, on their knees, in a Christian church, asking God to bless this Nation, and guide them to do His will. And God did. In abundance.
Praying to Him was never in doubt or questioned when Congress convened. And it wasn't for show, or a lack of political correctness, or to push an agenda. It was Christian men wanting God's help in creating a nation. Not only was it NOT separated from their governance, it was an integral part of it.

Separation of church and state was to protect the church from government interference, as was the case in England. It in no way was meant to keep God out of our government. Here is the proof of that:
The-first-prayer-in-congress-september-1774.jpg

ap_19918068793_wide-fa90c639dc729bb378c2ce4ca1a1c5dec3b55590-s900-c85.jpg

Prayer.jpg
It was not to protect the church from the government, but to protect the gov from the church.

Wrong

The myth of America being “founded on the Christian religion” is one of the more pernicious lies propagated by the right.

Conservatives use this lie to justify their opposition to the Framers’ mandate that church and state remain separate, and to justify their hostility toward the privacy rights of women.

Then why didn't the founders live like you say they wanted the nation to be?

What you are preaching is not the reality the founders lived.

Mark

Where were the English headed when they were marching toward Lexington and Concord?

Where were they headed Winston?

Mark

To the armory in Concord.

What was in the armory Winston?

Mark

Forum List

Back