America: Then and Now

SweetSue92

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2018
USA
Watched a documentary on Westward Expansion yesterday. These pioneers lived entirely off the land, whole families in one-room log cabins surrounded by panthers and bears. The life expectancy was half what it is now.

I watched a reenactment of a young man chopping wood and a pioneer woman giving birth in a covered wagon, and thought about the "Safe Space" generation who says "Words are violence".

I have never had a more discouraged Fourth of July, and this includes after 9/11, the Iraq War, all of it. All I can say is: I really hope this is low point and we find our fortitude again--and not the hard way.

Not many people could live independently today, and one's ability to do it would decrease dramatically with age. Fortunately, because of CAPITALISM we are surrounded by products, substances, and devices that make life relatively easy, and all we have to do is get a fcuking job to afford this relatively easy life.

Leftists don't get it.

Watched a documentary on Westward Expansion yesterday. These pioneers lived entirely off the land, whole families in one-room log cabins surrounded by panthers and bears. The life expectancy was half what it is now.

I watched a reenactment of a young man chopping wood and a pioneer woman giving birth in a covered wagon, and thought about the "Safe Space" generation who says "Words are violence".

I have never had a more discouraged Fourth of July, and this includes after 9/11, the Iraq War, all of it. All I can say is: I really hope this is low point and we find our fortitude again--and not the hard way.

I will gladly take today

Well, you're discouraged, Islamophobic Twat...

You leave out the part where those "pioneers" committed genocide against the Native Americans to take their land and exploited slaves to develop it.

Not many people could live independently today, and one's ability to do it would decrease dramatically with age. Fortunately, because of CAPITALISM we are surrounded by products, substances, and devices that make life relatively easy, and all we have to do is get a fcuking job to afford this relatively easy life.

Leftists don't get it.

I don't even need Americans to be survivalists. Heck, most of the pioneers would have probably loved to have A/C, central heating, and antibiotics. Just have more fortitude and perseverance. Work is not a bad thing; it's a great thing, actually. Stress is not anxiety; it's to be expected. Feeling sad or stressed for a few days does not mean life needs to stop for your "mental health". You don't need to build Safe Spaces all over the place.

I'll take living in today's world than yesteryear's. Best to look forward, despite the turmoil.
And I wouldn't complain too bitterly about "low points". You after all, had a hand in making it happen.

I'll take living in today's world than yesteryear's. Best to look forward, despite the turmoil.
And I wouldn't complain too bitterly about "low points". You after all, had a hand in making it happen.

Stop making everything about Trump. Or better yet: don't--your party will be destroyed because of it, so all the better.

I will gladly take today

I wouldn't. I'm not sure I would choose pioneer days either. No era is perfect, of course. But the Woke crowd has destroyed an entire generation for the most part.

Ask anyone who works in college counseling centers.

I wouldn't. I'm not sure I would choose pioneer days either. No era is perfect, of course. But the Woke crowd has destroyed an entire generation for the most part.

Ask anyone who works in college counseling centers.
Give an era you prefer

Let me guess…..when Trump was President

I don't even need Americans to be survivalists. Heck, most of the pioneers would have probably loved to have A/C, central heating, and antibiotics. Just have more fortitude and perseverance. Work is not a bad thing; it's a great thing, actually. Stress is not anxiety; it's to be expected. Feeling sad or stressed for a few days does not mean life needs to stop for your "mental health". You don't need to build Safe Spaces all over the place.

Yes, heaven forbid we should take people's feelings into account. We need to hate on Gays and Mexicans just like Jesus did.

Stop making everything about Trump. Or better yet: don't--your party will be destroyed because of it, so all the better.
That's just part of the equation. And I didn't even mention his name.
Your side's bitterness, resentment, and anger go back farther than him.

Here's the thing. Every nation, population, society, economy......EVOLVES. Or it stagnates and dies.
For all of your misty-eyed, rose colored nostalgia for days gone by, you seem to miss that things weren't great for everyone.

So instead of just going along to get along, you complain.

Here's the thing. Every nation, population, society, economy......EVOLVES. Or it stagnates and dies.
For all of your misty-eyed, rose colored nostalgia for days gone by, you seem to miss that things weren't great for everyone.

Conservatives have always yearned for the good ole days

But they do nothing to make our society better

Well, you're discouraged, Islamophobic Twat...

You leave out the part where those "pioneers" committed genocide against the Native Americans to take their land and exploited slaves to develop it.
To paraphrase from the Hadith, one of Muhammad's last instructions;
"I have been commanded by Allah to fight all of mankind until all of mankind has embraced Islam."

A study of the Koran/Qur'an, Hadith, and Sira reveal that Islam believes that Paradise/Heaven is of many levels. A peaceful and non-violent Muslim only attains the lowest level(basement so to speak). To attain higher levels and greater rewards depends on being a holy warrior (mudjadeen) and engaging in Holy War/Jihad. More successful at such the higher the level and rewards in Paradise/Heaven.

This would suggest that Islam is a prescription for perpetual conflict/war and one of reasonable intelligence should be concerned about what this means for everyone here on Earth. Islamophobic is comparable to being Naziphobic.

Largest amount of genocide against the Native Americans occurred with initial explorations and colonizations by Spanish and Portuguese in the 16th and 17th centuries.

It was the near 90% decline of that indigenous population that hand those two nations start the process of import of slaves, mostly from Africa.

Many of those "pioneers" were first generation immigrants from parts of Europe whom came to the USA and disregarded Federal treaties with the Native Americans.

Last edited:
Give an era you prefer

Let me guess…..when Trump was President

Yeah, maybe. Or maybe the 60s would have been pretty cool. Early 70s? Certainly the 50s were booming economically.

80s/90s weren't bad either.

Oh....so we should just "go along to get along" with you authoritarians, like when you were all Karens during covid? Ha. No. Sometimes the best answer, actually, USUALLY the best answer, is 'no'.

And I'm not one the conservatives who thinks "old times were always better". Whenever a conservative spouts that opinion, I think of Asian prostitutes on the west coast. Harrowing--I will never forget when I learned of it. They basically kept them in cages, fed them opium, and they were abused constantly. Most women died within a year. This was in the late 1800s. So yeah.

However.

"Progress" is also not always great. You have to weigh everything out.

Yeah, maybe. Or maybe the 60s would have been pretty cool. Early 70s? Certainly the 50s were booming economically.

80s/90s weren't bad either.

The 60’s were the worst time in history. Vietnam, Civil Rights protests, rampant assassinations

50’s were great if you were white and Christian

70’s gave us Watergate and runaway inflation

80’s was the Reagan era which was pretty good, so was the 90’s with Bill Clinton. We were at peace and the economy was good

Forum List

Back