America needs carpenters and plumbers. Gen Z doesn't seem interested

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/05/1142...enters-and-plumbers-try-telling-that-to-gen-z

"It used to be word-of-mouth," said Iversen. "But there's more of a need for carpenters, pipefitters, plumbers and electricians than you can fill with the family members of current people."

That reality is hitting home for farmer John Boyd Jr.

Boyd, 57, owns a 300-acre farm in Virginia where he grows soybeans, corn and wheat and raises cattle — just as three generations did before him. But now, none of his three children want to take over when he retires.

"Everybody on my farm is over the age of 50," said Boyd, who is the president of the National Black Farmers' Association. "We need some young people with some energy and hustle and innovation."

Odd, NPR spent decades and millions of tax dollars being pretentious leftist fucks while mocking working Americans and the trades in general.....One of those assholes must have needed a tradesman. ;)
Our kids grow up with their noses glued to a phone or computer - not sure it would be reasonable to expect them to be interested in physical labor.

Generic Credentials

I have to point out something that is decisive but never mentioned in this programmed debate. Talent is the only thing that matters, and its paramount importance can only be honestly recognized if the talented are paid highly during training.
Interesting combination of wannabe commie and hollow materialist. ^^^^^

If kids want to go their own way, we shouldn't tell them what to do. Having your own farm is cool, but if there's no one to carry on your life's work, it's better to just sell it into good hands, and then spend your remaining years and money in luxury. I'd use the money to buy a lake house and do a nice renovation there. I would install high quality doors, paint the walls beige and white to soothe. I would also build a pier to make it easier to fish from the pier.

Forum List

Back