America in Permanent Decline?

America has been in decline since the 50's. The 1850's that is. We've had a couple of shining moments in the sun in the last century and a half, but for the most part it's been all downhill because we have abandoned the basic principles, morals and values that this country was founded on. Unless we return to those things this country will continue to decline until we cease to exist, probably within the next half century.

You can never go home again, Anachromism.

Not unless you're a time lord, at least.

uh, uh, uh

He didn't put any conditions on his statement. He said, and I quote, "If I don't have this done in three years then there's going to be a one-term proposition".

He said he would be held accountable.

He's got six months, give or take. Tick tock.

The blame Republicans meme is soooo 2009 . . .and 2010 . . . and 2011. :rolleyes:

Hey Barry, just a suggestion. Stop demonizing Republicans every chance you get. Go on, give it shot old boy . . . .

btw, Maddow is one of the few MSNBCers that I can actually listen to without wanting to pull my teeth out.

On Maddow.. what about pulling off your ears though.. :lol:

I don't watch spinmeisters. They just can't compare to watching weasels at the zoo.

I admit it.. I find Chris Mathews hilarious... his flights of fantasy just floor me...:lol:

You can never go home again, Anachromism.

Not unless you're a time lord, at least.

Which is why this country and this century will never hold anything of value for me, editec. Everything that WAS good about this country and this species is GONE. Everything that was BAD about this country and species has been MAGNIFIED.

“I will be held accountable. I’ve got four years and … a year from now, I think people are going to see that we’re starting to make some progress, but there’s still going to be some pain out there … If I don’t have this done in three years, then there’s going to be a one-term proposition.”

Barack H. Obama
February, 2009

Yeah..I seriously doubt he could have predicted the fierce opposition to everything he does, EVEN WHEN HE TOTALLY CAPITULATES, that the Republicans threw up.

Rachel Maddow sums it up nicely. You may not like her..but she makes some pretty damning points.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2khEV88eteA]YouTube - ‪Maddow Exposes Shameless, Craven Republican Hackery, Flip-Floppery & Rooting For America To Fail‬‏[/ame]
Two years of absolute power?

He's either feckless or so green that he has no idea what he could and couldn't do. I go with both.

Did you watch the video at all? Part of the change Obama was promising was a reconciliation between the parties and a departure from the governance of George W Bush..who when HE got into office, governed like the minority party didn't exist. And that involves listening to the other side and including their ideas into policy. Presiden Obama did that. Only he didn't realize that the opposition was just giving him "lip service" about their ideas and it made no difference what so ever if he adopted them or not. They just wanted him out. Simple as that.

No one in this country has "absolute power" nor should they. Bush, for the first two years, governed as if he did. And it was ruinous.

“I will be held accountable. I’ve got four years and … a year from now, I think people are going to see that we’re starting to make some progress, but there’s still going to be some pain out there … If I don’t have this done in three years, then there’s going to be a one-term proposition.”

Barack H. Obama
February, 2009

Yeah..I seriously doubt he could have predicted the fierce opposition to everything he does, EVEN WHEN HE TOTALLY CAPITULATES, that the Republicans threw up.

Rachel Maddow sums it up nicely. You may not like her..but she makes some pretty damning points.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2khEV88eteA]YouTube - ‪Maddow Exposes Shameless, Craven Republican Hackery, Flip-Floppery & Rooting For America To Fail‬‏[/ame]

uh, uh, uh

He didn't put any conditions on his statement. He said, and I quote, "If I don't have this done in three years then there's going to be a one-term proposition".

He said he would be held accountable.

He's got six months, give or take. Tick tock.

The blame Republicans meme is soooo 2009 . . .and 2010 . . . and 2011. :rolleyes:

Hey Barry, just a suggestion. Stop demonizing Republicans every chance you get. Go on, give it shot old boy . . . .

btw, Maddow is one of the few MSNBCers that I can actually listen to without wanting to pull my teeth out.

Bush said there were WMDs in Iraq ready to turn the US into rubble.

Seems he wasn't held "accountable" for that one in 2004. :lol:

And he didn't have an opposition party requiring 60 votes in the Senate for every bill to get passed.

YouTube - ‪Maddow Exposes Shameless, Craven Republican Hackery, Flip-Floppery & Rooting For America To Fail‬‏
Two years of absolute power?

He's either feckless or so green that he has no idea what he could and couldn't do. I go with both.

Did you watch the video at all? Part of the change Obama was promising was a reconciliation between the parties and a departure from the governance of George W Bush..who when HE got into office, governed like the minority party didn't exist. And that involves listening to the other side and including their ideas into policy. Presiden Obama did that. Only he didn't realize that the opposition was just giving him "lip service" about their ideas and it made no difference what so ever if he adopted them or not. They just wanted him out. Simple as that.

No one in this country has "absolute power" nor should they. Bush, for the first two years, governed as if he did. And it was ruinous.
Obama had as absolute a power as possible here. Bush did not have that luxury at any time.

And, if your take on it with respect to what he thought is correct, then it still shows his greenness and naivete, obviously bought by so many.

Personally, I think he is not as feckless as he was, but what a colossal waste of two years on someone who took time needed for on-the-job training for the presidency to a whole new level.

But, that's what the country as a whole wanted.

And here we are today. Not a pretty picture.

Damn it on Hilary for not winning.

Last edited:
It's been in decline pretty much ever since it became a nation.

I think the world, and our what would be 2 countries, would be in much better shape if the South won the Civil War. Slavery is awful, but I think it would've ended soon after anyways because of machines and uprisings, but it would've resulted in a far less powerful government and I think the people of the areas would actually be able to stand up to government (unlike now).

The steep decline began when fearmongering and warmongering became the #1 aspects of the govermnent agenda, the chunk of time with the Vietnam War and the Cold War.

I think the world, and our what would be 2 countries, would be in much better shape if the South won the Civil War. Slavery is awful, but I think it would've ended soon after anyways because of machines and uprisings, but it would've resulted in a far less powerful government and I think the people of the areas would actually be able to stand up to government (unlike now).

The steep decline began when fearmongering and warmongering became the #1 aspects of the govermnent agenda, the chunk of time with the Vietnam War and the Cold War.

Holy crap..that's like saying the world would have been better off if the Nazis won WWII. The south was a vile cesspool of traitorous and murderous slavers. They deserved a far worse fate then Sherman's march and reconstruction.

Obama had as absolute a power as possible here. Bush did not have that luxury at any time.

And, if your take on it with respect to what he thought is correct, then it still shows his greenness and naivete, obviously bought by so many.

Personally, I think he is not as feckless as he was, but what a colossal waste of two years on someone who took time needed for on-the-job training for the presidency to a whole new level.

He didn't waste anything. He saved the economy from collapsing. Even Romney is starting to admit that now..and reversing his postion.

His biggest failure was bringing the two parties together to work for the common good. But then again..no one would be able to do that..given how radical the Republican party has become.

And again. NO ONE HAS ABSOLUTE POWER. That's a conservative myth.

Read the Constitution sometime. There's plenty of stuff in there about checks and balances.

First you all want to say he's a continuation of bush, then you say he tanked the country. Make up your fucking minds. You look stupid. Facts of the matter are this....He took the reigns when we were headed for the abyss. The 'I hope he fails' mantra, well, it failed. Get over it. So you had a Black President. So fucking what. He wasn't all that different from the white guys that stuck their dick in you ear for the last 200 years...........

There was a time in this country that when the election was over, congress rolled up it's sleeves and worked with the guy that won.

Unfortunately now, we have ultra right wing conservatives that are only interested in one thing. Holding all the reigns of power.

Mitch McConnell defined the Republican strategy, "They want Obama to be a one term President"...and nothing is going to get in their way.

If the economy fails and Obama looks bad. Mission Accomplished.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-A09a_gHJc]YouTube - ‪Mitch McConnell: Top Priority, Make Obama a One Term President‬‏[/ame]

They got their orders from this man..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuYjWbAU2eU]YouTube - ‪Rush Limbaugh: "I hope Obama fails"‬‏[/ame]

Yes I seem to remember the left doing exactly that with the Previous administration do I'm wondering why the sudden tears with this administration.

Yep. More importantly people would have had the option to choose which way of life they wanted to be part of; the "Progressive" North or the "Traditionalist" South and that would have mitigated a lot of the arguements and unrest that we have seen in the last century here in the United States. You would have two very different countries on this land if that had happened.

Holy crap..that's like saying the world would have been better off if the Nazis won WWII. The south was a vile cesspool of traitorous and murderous slavers. They deserved a far worse fate then Sherman's march and reconstruction.

Look at what happened in the South over the next 110 years or so afterwards, still wasn't too good for blacks. I'm doubting it would've been much different.

There is nothing permenant about our current decline. If we repent and keep the commandments of God we will prosper in the land.

He didn't waste anything. He saved the economy from collapsing. Even Romney is starting to admit that now..and reversing his postion.

His biggest failure was bringing the two parties together to work for the common good. But then again..no one would be able to do that..given how radical the Republican party has become.

Read the Constitution sometime. There's plenty of stuff in there about checks and balances.
What part of my saying "as absolute power as is possible here" confuses you so?

Partisans usually try to marginalize - and generalize - the opposition as radical.

I don't.

And, just as the founders designed, I will always support at least a two party system.

Far be it from to point out that our economy is flat on its ass he didn't save anything nor did he follow anything advice other then that to push his agenda which is why we are where we are today.

Far be it from to point out that our economy is flat on its ass he didn't save anything nor did he follow anything advice other then that to push his agenda which is why we are where we are today.
:eusa_shhh:

Forum List

Back