Amazon Prime: Atomic Blonde

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
It is really, really difficult to skip a Charlize Theron movie, even though they all pretty much suck. But...it's Charlize Theron. One of the hottest women of the last five million years.

She's done something to her face, though. I can't quite place it. The nose, I think. It doesn't work. What a shame.

But anyway, the movie. Atomic Blonde.

It's a spy thriller which takes place during the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989. A MI6 spy carrying a microdot of a list of all the spies on both sides is killed, and Theron is tasked with finding the watch which has the microdot. To find the watch, she has to find the KBG spy who killed her comrade.

Charlize Theron with a British accent. Yeah. No. They should not have done that.

But this movie has everything a man could want. There are car chases, including a Porsche 911, my all-time favorite vehicle. It is as beautiful and sexy as Charlize Theron. One of the hottest cars of the last five million years. Unfortunately, it only makes a cameo appearance.

And then there is a scene with Theron swinging off a balcony, revealing her creamy thighs encased in thigh high stockings and a garter belt.

As my wife and daughter watched me moaning in ecstasy over the car and the thighs, my daughter said, "The only thing missing in this movie for you is a lesbian scene."

Five minutes later, Charlize is in a hot lesbian scene!

Oh, and this movie has a kickass soundtrack.

There is also a hallway/apartment fight scene where Theron brutally murderizes a few hundred KGB gorillas in hand-to-hand combat.

Who doesn't wish they could kill a KGB gorilla with the nearest household object at hand?

And of course at the end there's a twist. And then a double twist.

Will I forget this movie? Yeah. But it was fun brain candy while it lasted.

At 1:04 in the trailer, you can see the Porsche. It's a total glamor shot.

Last edited:
"The Spy Who Came in From the Cold" was an example of a quality Berlin Wall Spy thriller. Atomic Blonde is a freaking cartoon.

"The Spy Who Came in From the Cold" was an example of a quality Berlin Wall Spy thriller. Atomic Blonde is a freaking cartoon.
Yes it is. A cartoon with Charlize Theron in it.

John le Carré is my favorite spy novelist.

By far the most authentic spy thriller is Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Just like the real thing it's slow and at times a bit boring. It's a psychological thriller with very little action, the movie is set in the 1970s and revolves around a mole selling information to a KGB source from a previous operation. The movies made spying exciting. In most cases it is not.

By far the most authentic spy thriller is Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Just like the real thing it's slow and at times a bit boring. It's a psychological thriller with very little action, the movie is set in the 1970s and revolves around a mole selling information to a KGB source from a previous operation. The movies made spying exciting. In most cases it is not.
The BBC series of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is much better than the recent movie.

Forum List

Back