Netflix: The Gentlemen

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
The Gentlemen is written and directed by the same Guy Ritchie who brought you Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.

In my opinion, the former is not as good as the latter, but it is still well worth watching. Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels is a really high benchmark, and this film doesn't quite make it. I like The Gentlemen nevertheless.

The story revolves around a marijuana kingpin (Matthew McConaughey) in England who wants to retire, and so he puts his business up for sale for a nine figure sum. A complicated set of incidents follow, with plenty of twists and turns, as with all Guy Ritchie films.

Unfortunately, Hugh Grant is horribly miscast as an extortionist weasel, but everyone else in the film is well done, though I could do without Charlie Hunnam's beard. It just doesn't suit him.

The pig scene is worth the price of admission alone.

"No, you can't unsee it. That's nightmare fuel. It will be with me forever."

Watched it on stream rent awhile back.
Agree completely on Hugh Grant... total miscast. If it wasn't for the solid acting by everyone else - this miscasting could have ruined the movie.
A roller coaster of a movie, but done well enough that it isn't disjointed. It fits, makes sense but keeps you guessing at the same time.
Good brain candy

Forum List

Back