Amazon drones!

R.C. Christian

Gold Member
Jun 30, 2010
Ghetto
Amazon Drones: Amazon Unveils Futuristic Delivery Plan - CBS News - CBS News

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos had a big surprise for correspondent Charlie Rose this week. After their 60 Minutes interview, Bezos walked Rose into a mystery room at the Amazon offices and revealed a secret R&D project: “Octocopter” drones that will fly packages directly to your doorstep in 30 minutes.

It’s an audacious plan that Bezos says requires more safety testing and FAA approvals, but he estimates that delivery-by-drone, called Amazon “Prime Air,” will be available to customers in as soon as 4-5 years.

When Charlie Rose walked in and saw the Prime Air drones sitting on a tabletop for the show-and-tell, he exclaimed “Oh, my God!” It was a genuine reaction-- Rose and the 60 Minutes team weren’t in on the secret beforehand. The story had been in the works for months before the Amazon representatives started hinting that a new project might be revealed to 60 Minutes.

“I only knew that there was a surprise coming. I had no idea what it was,” says 60 Minutes producer Draggan Mihailovich. “They kept saying over and over again, ‘Whatever you think it is, it isn't.’” Mihailovich grew skeptical when the Amazon PR team began to hype their surprise behind the scenes. “How great can this be?” he thought.

60 Minutes associate producer Nathalie Sommer says even Bezos built up the surprise during breaks in filming the 60 Minutes segment. During a tape change, Bezos told the producers, “If you can guess what it is, then...I will give you half my fortune and send you to Vegas with it.”

What kind of crack are they smoking? What's going to stop me or anyone else from simply blowing this thing out of the sky, stealing the delivery, reverse engineering the drone so I can deliver meth to my dealers more efficiently?

Brilliant. The market takes the government's evil idea and uses it for the betterment of mankind.

I want to be the first kid on my block to shoot one down!

Yeah, because that's how the world works. Just like Breaking Bad.

The premise will only create competition until falling drones become a top 10 killer of people in urban areas. This is a really bad idea.

Innovation is always scary to some, but progress is necessary and wonderful. Furthermore, I'm glad you're sharing your expertise on drones that won't be out for at least another 5 years, according to Amazon and that you haven't inspected yourself, but you'll forgive me if I wait for actual figures before I condemn them as death traps.

There are probably a thousand and one details to work out, as well as nudging the technology forward a bit and providing some kind of basic 'air highways' or 'air streets' (navigation pathways) for the controlled movement of such craft at low altitudes, and the sheer presence of Bad Weather might put the kabosh on the whole thing, but it IS a rather cool prospect to contemplate and to try to sort out.

I don't think it's going to pan-out but I'm as excited as anyone else at the prospect of any new way of doing things that moves us forward.

It will never work.

What can they deliver that is five pounds or less that would be cost efficient? What kind of insurance will they have to buy? What about kids who want to throw rocks at the drones?

How many of you have a secure roof top that is tamper proof from your neighbors?

Having a drone deliver to delivery centers is already expensive when you have to staff them when the customer can already go out to 7-11 or WAWA and buy the same thing within driving distance.

Drones can't fly in bad weather but delivery trucks can go out in all kinds of bad weather like rain and snow.

If the drone takes more than 30 minutes to deliver, do you get free delivery?

Yeah, because that's how the world works. Just like Breaking Bad.

The premise will only create competition until falling drones become a top 10 killer of people in urban areas. This is a really bad idea.

Innovation is always scary to some, but progress is necessary and wonderful. Furthermore, I'm glad you're sharing your expertise on drones that won't be out for at least another 5 years, according to Amazon and that you haven't inspected yourself, but you'll forgive me if I wait for actual figures before I condemn them as death traps.

Whatever floats your boat jackass.

Ouch.

What kind of crack are they smoking? What's going to stop me or anyone else from simply blowing this thing out of the sky, stealing the delivery, reverse engineering the drone so I can deliver meth to my dealers more efficiently?

It says some very interesting things about you that this is apparently the first thing you thought of.

Gas drones will make noise and could possibly burn a customer with the exhaust being hot.

Electric drones only need a piece of dust to get in the motor and the motor will fail.

Last edited by a moderator:

It says some very interesting things about you that this is apparently the first thing you thought of.

Noob has a serious stick up his ass or is that something else?

Noob has a serious stick up his ass or is that something else?

Noob has apparently magically changed genders and become a guy.

Forum List

Back