All the school security in the world does not mean anything if you leave doors unlocked

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
The sooner schools are retrofitted and new ones built like modern prisons with controlled movement with a real security control center and personnel be better off we will be.

It won't be cheap but I suspect a lot cheaper than what we have spent thus far on Ukraine.

Agreed.

We have to aske, which is more expensive?

Secure schools
or a war we have no business being involved in.

Agreed.

We have to aske, which is more expensive?

Secure schools
or a war we have no business being involved in.
Yeah, the best most schools have now is some harried school official that buzzes people in while doing other things, meanwhile every other door you see has kids running in and out of them.

The HS within sight of my home is like that....900 students running hither and yon. The one on the other side of town is just as big with the same security issues.

That's another thing, schools are just too damn big not to be run movement/security-wise similar to a modern prison.....There are no bars in a modern prison but a shit-ton of electrically operated security doors.

The security tech is old as dirt now so there is no excuse not to do it.

According to the Wall Street journal:

UVALDE, Texas—Local residents voiced anger Thursday about the time it took to end the mass shooting at an elementary school here, as police laid out a fresh timeline that showed the gunman entered the building unobstructed after lingering outside for 12 minutes firing shots.

OK, wait a minute. This guy was outside firing shots for 12 minutes and then entered the building? WTF? Was the door unlocked? In that situation? Really? How could the school not lock up the whole building? How do the cops let this guy get into the building? An elementary school building for God's sake. I have to think either this report is bogus or the cops totally screwed up.

Something stinks about this whole episode.

Last edited:
Yeah, the best most schools have now is some harried school official that buzzes people in while doing other things, meanwhile every other door you see has kids running in and out of them.

The HS within sight of my home is like that....900 students running hither and yon. The one on the other side of town is just as big with the same security issues.

That's another thing, schools are just too damn big not to be run movement/security-wise similar to a modern prison.....There are no bars in a modern prison but a shit-ton of electrically operated security doors.

I agree.

I happen to think that we have at least three, maybe even four, generations before we get away from the hate that drives people and children to pick up a gun and kill those they disagree with.

Given that time frame, it is imperative that we upgrade our school parameters to at least maximum security prison levels.

I agree.

I happen to think that we have at least three, maybe even four, generations before we get away from the hate that drives people and children to pick up a gun and kill those they disagree with.

Given that time frame, it is imperative that we upgrade our school parameters to at least maximum security prison levels.
Nah, Level 2 would be fine.....Unless a killdozer/explosives were involved.

According to the Wall Street journal:

UVALDE, Texas—Local residents voiced anger Thursday about the time it took to end the mass shooting at an elementary school here, as police laid out a fresh timeline that showed the gunman entered the building unobstructed after lingering outside for 12 minutes firing shots.

OK, wait a minute. This guy was outside firing shots for 12 minutes and then entered the building? WTF? Was the door unlocked? In that situation? Really? How could the school not lock up the whole building? How do the cops let this guy get into the building? An elementary school building for God's sake. I have to think either this report is bogus or the cops totally screwed up.

Something stinks about this whole episode.
The shooter gained entry to the school through a unlocked door.....At least that is what was said at the briefing today.

But yeah, he shot at something like four people before he ran to the school and gained entry. They did not say how long that took.

The shooter gained entry to the school through a unlocked door.....At least that is what was said at the briefing today.

Wow. How would you feel if your kid was killed and then you find out the school didn't make sure all the doors were locked while the shooter was outside for 12 effing minutes?

The sooner schools are retrofitted and new ones built like modern prisons with controlled movement with a real security control center and personnel be better off we will be.

It won't be cheap but I suspect a lot cheaper than what we have spent thus far on Ukraine.

I read the monster before he did the act, warned people.

School security should have acted and locked down the building,meaning no one is allowed in the school, until the day after or several days after.

I know where i live, when someone makes a threat, they lockdown the whole school and tells kids to go home.

Wow. How would you feel if your kid was killed and then you find out the school didn't make sure all the doors were locked while the shooter was outside for 12 effing minutes?
They didn't even try to lock up. All the time this character was shooting wildly right outside for 12 minutes.

I guess the adults all hid under their desks or in closets. No one locked up, not the school secretary, not the cafeteria ladies, no one. Cowards one and all. I don't like how the police behaved, but the real wimps were the school personnel. WHERE was the principal with the key? You just know he bugged out to home as fast as he could go, key in his pocket.

They didn't even try to lock up. All the time this character was shooting wildly right outside for 12 minutes.

I guess the adults all hid under their desks or in closets. No one locked up, not the school secretary, not the cafeteria ladies, no one. Cowards one and all. I don't like how the police behaved, but the real wimps were the school personnel. WHERE was the principal with the key? You just know he bugged out to home as fast as he could go, key in his pocket.

Geez, it's not like you gotta go outside where the shooting is happening. Just close and lock the effing door, no reason to be afraid. And besides, those kids are your responsibility.

:cuckoo:

There's no reason to do it in the first place.

:cuckoo:

There's no reason to do it in the first place.
Meh, if you are "looking for answers" then I suggested one....It sure beats the the piss out of anything you have suggested....I did not say it would be easy, cheap, or not difficult to swallow.

You either secure a school or not, it's really as simple as that. Anything else is, at best, a half-measure.

So come on Mr. Answer Man, please to regale us all with your solution.

Meh, if you are "looking for answers" then I suggested one....It sure beats the the piss out of anything you have suggested....I did not say it would be easy, cheap, or not difficult to swallow.

You either secure a school or not, it's really as simple as that. Anything else is, at best, a half-measure.

So come on Mr. Answer Man, please to regale us all with your solution.
Solution? :rolleyes:

There's no problem to solve in the first place.

I'll give you some FACTS that you will probably dismiss as fake news and 'I'm a Liar."
Here it is.

My Middle School of 600 total (6th, 7th, and 8th) has one, just ONE door that students enter through upon arrival. Staff patrol that door as students enter.
Parents or visitors, later in the day, use the same door and must be buzzed in.

There are other doors, but they are locked and one can exit but not enter.

So, while not totally secure, I feel my school has taken the proper precautions.

Geez, it's not like you gotta go outside where the shooting is happening. Just close and lock the effing door, no reason to be afraid. And besides, those kids are your responsibility.
Now Friday it turns out the shooter entered through a door that had just been propped open by a teacher. Hmmmmmmm. I myself would think that hearing a lot of gunshots is not a good time to prop open a door; maybe a lockdown would have been more in order. The principal or school secretary or SOMEONE couldn't have sent out a lockdown notice??

I was in high school from 1979 - 83.
In the mornings there was one area of doors that were open that went out to the bus area and parking lots.
ALl other doors were always locked. (All could be opened from the inside, but not from the outside)
After the morning tone... those doors were locked. The rest of the day the only doors unlocked were next to the school offices. This was a double door area. You walked in, but you were met with another set of doors. You pushed a button and one of the office gals would have to let you in.
The school also had two full time uniformed security staff.

This was 43 years ago people.
You have to think... why were schools more secure 43 years ago when there was no semblance of thought someone would commit mass murder than now after several events like this?

Forum List

Back