Aldi pulls out of South Side of Chicago

Bear in mind I only have my local one to base my opinion on.

I'd never been there, so I thought I'd try it out.

Since I'd never been there, I was unaware that you had to pay 25¢ for a shopping cart. I didn't have any change on me and, when I asked a cashier in the store for change for a dollar, she refused. Here I was, ready to shop in their store, and she wouldn't give me change for a buck. I grabbed a basket with a handle and went on my way. As it turned out, I'd have wasted a quarter, because I didn't spend a dime there.

I'd heard they had an excellent meat selection, so I decided to check out some filet mignon. All the offered was some pre-packaged processed crap, wrapped in bacon, that I could not be the least bit interested in. They had no New York Strips or T-bones; no porterhouse. They had chicken, but with the exception of some bacon they had no pork at all.

Their produce department was... well, disgusting. There were rotting vegetables in with what looked to be fresher produce, but none of it looked "fresh".

The lighting was quite dim, and the floor was dirty with everything from used tissues to food.

There are too many other options in town than for me to waste my time at Aldi...
so youre one of those people,, you get all emotional after one visit,,

so you know it doesnt cost .25 to use a cart, you get it back when you return the cart,, they do that so they dont have to have more employees since the user returns the carts,, and who doesnt have change on them accept entitled rich people,, you do know it is a discount store??
and for what it is it has a great meat dept,, if you want the high priced top quality everyone knows you go to a butcher store not a discount store,,
I've never seen a problem with their produce dept,,

cant speak for the lighting,, did you still have your sunglass's on??

LOL....The quarter deposit is a intelligence test......You failed. ;)

What kind of man walks around without a quarter in their pocket? Never know when you might have to unscrew something.
lucky he didnt buy anything or he would have lost his mind when he found out they dont sack it for you,,

A spokesperson for Aldi said company officials made the difficult decision to close the store, citing crime and poor sales: "Our decision was based on several factors, including repeated burglaries and declining sales. Out of concern for our employees and customers, keeping this store open was no longer a sustainable option. All of our employees have been given the option to continue working at one of our other ALDI locations in the immediate area."

Aldi abruptly closes Auburn Gresham store due to crime, poor sales, spokesperson says

I bet it had something to do with the shopping cart deposit.....They would not take a EBT card. ;)
"They would not take a EBT card"

Uh Uh Uh

But....but ......food deserts......ummmmmm.........uuummmmm
Food deserts are a real thing. Those came first. Then came the Hug-A-Thug crowd and the prosecutors announced they would no longer be taking care of business- figuratively and literally.

so youre one of those people,, you get all emotional after one visit,,

Not at all.

I had a shitty experience across the board.

Why would I entertain the thought of going back?

so you know it doesnt cost .25 to use a cart, you get it back when you return the cart,, they do that so they dont have to have more employees since the user returns the carts,, and who doesnt have change on them accept entitled rich people,, you do know it is a discount store??

No, I didn't know it was a discount store. I'd never been there. And I know plenty of people who don't carry change other than what they accumulate through the day. I hadn't been anywhere else that day where I'd spent any cash, hence, no quarter. But that's besides the point. I didn't have a problem with spending the quarter, I had a problem with the cashier who wouldn't break a dollar so I would have a quarter so I could shop in her store...

and for what it is it has a great meat dept,, if you want the high priced top quality everyone knows you go to a butcher store not a discount store,

Their meat department was shit. They had some chop meat, some pre-packaged filets, and some chicken. That was it. I can go to Publix and have a vastly superior selection. I don't have to go to a butcher shop...

I've never seen a problem with their produce dept,

It was truly disgusting...

cant speak for the lighting,, did you still have your sunglass's on??

I don't wear sunglasses. The lighting was poor...

Bear in mind I only have my local one to base my opinion on.

I'd never been there, so I thought I'd try it out.

Since I'd never been there, I was unaware that you had to pay 25¢ for a shopping cart. I didn't have any change on me and, when I asked a cashier in the store for change for a dollar, she refused. Here I was, ready to shop in their store, and she wouldn't give me change for a buck. I grabbed a basket with a handle and went on my way. As it turned out, I'd have wasted a quarter, because I didn't spend a dime there.

I'd heard they had an excellent meat selection, so I decided to check out some filet mignon. All the offered was some pre-packaged processed crap, wrapped in bacon, that I could not be the least bit interested in. They had no New York Strips or T-bones; no porterhouse. They had chicken, but with the exception of some bacon they had no pork at all.

Their produce department was... well, disgusting. There were rotting vegetables in with what looked to be fresher produce, but none of it looked really "fresh".

The lighting was quite dim, and the floor was dirty with everything from used tissues to food.

There are too many other options in town than for me to waste my time at Aldi...

Aldi's in Atlanta are excellent. Great produce, meats, cheeses.

Not at all.

I had a shitty experience across the board.

Why would I entertain the thought of going back?

No, I didn't know it was a discount store. I'd never been there. And I know plenty of people who don't carry change other than what they accumulate through the day. I hadn't been anywhere else that day where I'd spent any cash, hence, no quarter. But that's besides the point. I didn't have a problem with spending the quarter, I had a problem with the cashier who wouldn't break a dollar so I would have a quarter so I could shop in her store...

Their meat department was shit. They had some chop meat, some pre-packaged filets, and some chicken. That was it. I can go to Publix and have a vastly superior selection. I don't have to go to a butcher shop...

It was truly disgusting...

I don't wear sunglasses. The lighting was poor...

thank you for not going back,,

A spokesperson for Aldi said company officials made the difficult decision to close the store, citing crime and poor sales: "Our decision was based on several factors, including repeated burglaries and declining sales. Out of concern for our employees and customers, keeping this store open was no longer a sustainable option. All of our employees have been given the option to continue working at one of our other ALDI locations in the immediate area."

Aldi abruptly closes Auburn Gresham store due to crime, poor sales, spokesperson says

I bet it had something to do with the shopping cart deposit.....They would not take a EBT card. ;)
We can expect the usual black race hustlers to cite this as an example of white privilage

I think it depends on where you are located. We have one here that serves 3 counties.

I am not fond of their meat selection either but I can find lamb there sometimes and pretty good deals on chicken. They have better vegetables now than they have in the past and cheaper dairy products.
I can't get everything there but I like Aldi's.

They used to have a Danish Cookie coffee creamer that they need to bring back. I like that and their chicken salad.

I feel so sorry for the well-behaved African Americans that their neighborhoods are often food deserts, for many companies are loath to establish a branch there because of shop lifting and vandalism and some customers who are really really really rude and even threatening.

What a crying shame!

The situation will never improve, IMHO.

I feel so sorry for the well-behaved African Americans that their neighborhoods are often food deserts, for many companies are loath to establish a branch there because of shop lifting and vandalism and some customers who are really really really rude and even threatening.

What a crying shame!

The situation will never improve, IMHO.

I think the real change here, is the local prosecutors deciding to not enforce the law anymore. This is a greenlight to the bad guys.

Forum List

Back