Advice

Spiderman

Oct 2, 2013
What's the best advice you've ever received?

For me it was when I was 16.

I was working full time at a restaurant afternoons and evenings. I used to sometimes fill in from 5 AM to 8 AM at the counter before school. One of these early morning shifts gave me the chance to talk to a regular customer. He was a local businessman and he had seen me in the restaurant a lot. He asked how many hours I worked and if I was still in school.

It was funny for me to talk to him because back then I was pretty closed lipped about my situation. But I told him a few things about my parents and brother being killed when I was 10 and how I wanted nothing but out of my foster home and that's why I worked and saved so much.

He then gave me the best advice I ever got.

He said, if you don't want to end up like the people you see around here everyday it's not enough to not do the things they do. You have to do the things they won't do.

I thought about that long and hard and it proved to be the greatest lesson I ever learned.

never eat at a place called mom's
never play cards with a man called doc
and never sleep with anyone who has more troubles than you do

this is an old old adage

but my favorite is still....

a bill mckenna quote:

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to slide across
the finish line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, and shouting GERONIMO!!!”

Forum List

Back