ACA A Success?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Oregon moved to the federal exchange for the last enrollment period. Seemed to go fine.

And probably a smart move, given that people in the federal exchanges are generally more satisfied than people in state-based exchanges (though both are more satisfied than people who get health insurance outside of the exchanges).

Study: Satisfaction with ObamaCare tops traditional plans
People who bought coverage through ObamaCare are generally more satisfied than those with other types of insurance, according to a new national survey.

ObamaCare customers rated their satisfaction over the last year as 696 out of 1,000, compared to the 679-point rating by customers with employer-based plans, according to a largesurvey by the consumer research firm J.D. Power.

Customer satisfaction has increased sharply from ObamaCare’s tumultuous first year.
Satisfaction was highest in the 10 states that rely on a partnership with the federal government, which includes Arkansas, Oregon and West Virginia. That rating was 716 out of 1,000.

Federal marketplaces were second-most popular, rated 699, while state-based marketplaces received a 683 rating.

As it's turned out, states simply aren't as good at this as the feds (a surprising outcome of this experiment but an important one). I wouldn't mind seeing California follow their lead and move over to the federal exchange.

I still think that , ACA has proved very helpful for those who need to be financially supported for their medical treatment and also gave various benefits and rights.

And Christian programs, nonprofits and volunteer medical programs like Doctors Without Borders and AmeriCares
save lives and create longterm services to help people WITHOUT taking away anyone's liberties.

These are all run by voluntary participation and donations to provide professional and top medical services.
There is no waste from anyone abusing benefits, because nonprofits cannot afford to lose resources or lose their reputations because their funding depends on providing cost-effective services. They have to EARN their patronage by competing to be as effective as possible.

Why can't singlepayer health care be run by voluntary participation and funding?
If so many people believe in it, why not pay for it and make it work. prove it works first,
and give people the CHOICE to invest and participation if it works so well!

That's how other medical nonprofits work that are the top rated. MSF (Medecins Sans Frontiers) even won a Nobel Prize.
And they have never forced anyone to fund them by fining them a tax penalty if they didn't pay into that system.

In fact, the Christian spiritual healing nonprofits that even cure diseases that medicine alone cannot treat by itself,
offer this therapy for FREE. Nobody is required to pay, to join, or meet any religious conditions.
Much more cost effective than insurance that hasn't cured any cancer.

while the govt mandates require you to either join a religious group that meets regulations,
require you to buy insurance against your will, or pay fines into a system you don't believe in.

Why give up your freedom for insurance that doesn't create hospitals or cure cancer.
When Christian spiritual healing is FREE and medical nonprofits are voluntary to support in building longterm services?

I still think that , ACA has proved very helpful for those who need to be financially supported for their medical treatment and also gave various benefits and rights.

It's an utter and complete failure...just as we warned them.

ObamaCare Exchanges Are A Model Of Failure

In California, which faces an $80 million deficit, enrollment barely budged.

The federal exchange is hardly in better shape. The administration has poured more than $2 billion over the past four years into building the Healthcare.gov exchange, according to a Bloomberg analysis, and even now it remains half built.

The SHOP exchanges ObamaCare set up for millions of eligible small businesses are failing as well.

A Government Accountability Office found enrollment was "significantly lower than expected." Just 2,000 businesses signed up in California, for example, and only 72 did so in Washington.

The Obama administration hasn't bothered to release sign-up data for the federal SHOP exchange.

Obama sold his overhaul as a way to bring greater efficiency and discipline to the health care market. As evidenced by the exchanges it created, the exact opposite is occurring.

Today, thanks to ObamaCare, there's more waste, more bloat and more needless bureaucracy in the health care system than ever.

ObamaCare Exchanges Are A Model Of Failure - Investors.com

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: ObamaCare Exchanges Are A Model Of Failure - Investors.com
Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

If Obamacare were failing the GOP candidates would be hammering on it at the top of their list of priorities in their campaigns.

They are not.

If Obamacare were failing the GOP candidates would be hammering on it at the top of their list of priorities in their campaigns.

They are not.

If it were failing they'd be passing bills to prop it up.

Well, the state run healthcare exchanges of Oregon and Massachusetts have gone under – and it appears California's is going next. My question is – what happens to all those forced into this stuff by government threats? If they had coverage before, what do they do now? And, where can they go now to get coverage? At what price?

Read more @ Da Tech Guy Blog Blog Archive Covered California about to be the latest failed state ObamaCare exchange

When did the MA exchange end?

Didn't the senate pass legislation to start defunding it recently?

Well, the state run healthcare exchanges of Oregon and Massachusetts have gone under – and it appears California's is going next. My question is – what happens to all those forced into this stuff by government threats? If they had coverage before, what do they do now? And, where can they go now to get coverage? At what price?

Read more @ Da Tech Guy Blog Blog Archive Covered California about to be the latest failed state ObamaCare exchange

When did the MA exchange end?

it hasn't...

Individual Families

The Massachusetts Health Connector board voted on April 9 to approve regulations providing a framework to evaluate the actuarial risks of those insured. This is a requirement of the federal government's Affordable Care Act.

It is meant to offset the possibility that the previously uninsured may be in poorer health, and provisions in the act, such as insurers no longer being allowed to deny coverage, or charge higher premiums, on the basis of pre-existing conditions.

Baystate Health chief Mark Keroack warns Health New England could exit health exchange masslive.com

ACA is working just fine. Last year my adult daughter spent 18% of her annual income on health insurance and unreimbursed health care costs. This year it was going to be 35%, but that was when it appeared she would be able to return to work. She cannot. And her "new and improved" compliant policy will not allow her to remain hospitalized long enough to recover so she can resume work.

To afford the mandated benefits, insurers had to save somewhere. Many saved by restricting their formularies (what drugs they would cover). My daughter now pays for three drugs previously covered by her "junk" plan for chronic illnesses. Those total about $1,500 a month. That is all of her income. Today she was discharged from the hospital again; the insurer will not pay for more. She was discharged Monday a week ago because her "new and improved" health insurance decided to stop paying for hospital costs. She was readmitted the next day through the emergency room. We are sitting up with her and will continue to do so for several hours. She is probably headed back to the emergency room tonight.

Last year her "junk" plan provided for six straight weeks of hospitalization, and a total of 27 weeks throughout the year. It paid for medications for her chronic illnesses. The new and improved compliant plan (obviously better than the junk one) has suspended payment for four drugs she needs on a daily basis, without any replacement. She pays for three of them; the fourth is simply unaffordable. Since 100% of her current income goes for drugs previously covered, my wife, myself and our other adult daughter are supporting her. Perhaps we will become poor enough to qualify for subsidies.

I objected to the ACA on technical grounds, and none of my technical objections has yet to be disproven. Increase taxes and move heaven and earth for those with no third party payer for health care costs and who are too poor to afford health care insurance. That's about three to four percent of our population, not the fifteen percent that was claimed in order to jam through this piece of crap.

Gotta love obummercare!

I have a personal experience to share.

For the month of December, I had Obamacare. Only December. Jan 1 my employers new health care kicked in.

I sent in to my health insurance company telling them on 12/29 to cancel my policy. 2 weeks later I get a letter in the mail saying that the policy was through obamacare, so I have to call the health insurance marketplace. Ok, I do that. They say they can't find me in the system but that when they do they'll cancel it. Now understand, the entire time this is going on I'm getting premium notices from blue cross. I call Blue cross back, they say you did it through obamacare, you have to call the Market place. I tell them I did that, and they won't cancel. They tell me sorry you have to. So I call the market place back and they said they finally figured out that someone has entered my SSN one digit off so they couldn't find me. Now they did, and as of 2/28/15 I will be cancelled. I CONTINUE to get premium notices from Blue Cross. i call blue cross back, same thing, gotta call the marketplace. I call the market place and curse them out and tell them to take this fucking obamacare and shove it up their ass.

I finally, after 4 months, get a notice from blue cross that my policy was cancelled due to non-payment. THANK YOU JESUS. I had coverage for a month and it took 4 months to cancel.

Last edited:
We have SIX (6) different health care delivery/payment systems in this country.

1. Medicare
2. Medicaid
3. VA
4. Group Health
5. ACA/Individual Health
6. Indigent Care

This is not a word I use often, but THAT is fucking STUPID.

The Medicare/Medicare Supplement/Medicare Advantage system is already in place. It combines both a public foundation and private competition.

Further, it would take a massive monkey off the backs of American business and streamline the extremely inefficient preventive/diagnostic system, catching and addressing many smaller health issues before they become big health issues.

This whole conversation is maddening. The Democrats don't have the balls to push this and the Republicans are in abject denial.

Last edited:

1. Medicare
2. Medicaid
3. VA
4. Group Health
5. ACA/Individual Health
6. Indigent Care

The Medicare/Medicare Supplement/Medicare Advantage system is already in place. It combines both a public foundation and private competition.

Further, it would take a massive monkey off the backs of American business and streamline the extremely inefficient preventive/diagnostic system, catching and addressing many smaller health issues before they become big health issues.

This whole conversation is maddening. The Democrats don't have the balls to push this and the Republicans are in abject denial.

Why does it need to be one monolithic system? Are you suggesting everyone be forced into the same corral?

1. Medicare
2. Medicaid
3. VA
4. Group Health
5. ACA/Individual Health
6. Indigent Care

Why does it need to be one monolithic system? Are you suggesting everyone be forced into the same corral?
Of course. People on Medicare like it because it's simple, it's consistent, it's predictable, it works, it's effective, and they have plenty of free market choices to tweak it to their own situation. But there would be other good benefits as well:
  • The insurance companies would be freed of the HUGE administration costs of administering low-end services such as doctor visits, preventive and diagnostic care
  • Health care providers would see administrative costs cut because they won't have to be chasing down co-pays and deductibles from clients, instead being able to go straight to the insurance companies within a clear payment template
  • Massive economies of scale for insurance companies as millions of new clients flood the system, allowing for more innovation of services via free market competition
  • No more redundancies and/or missed diagnoses that happen when people are bouncing between the six above coverage types
  • American business would be freed of the costs of providing and administering health care benefits (fucking hallelujah), see charts below, which would also allow smaller employers to better compete with larger employers for talent
  • American hospitals would no longer have to deal with the massive losses they incur every year by people who have high deductible health plans (HDHP) and don't pay their deductibles but still have to be treated
  • A huge new private industry of Medicare-reimbursed preventive and diagnostic storefronts would emerge, allowing for streamlined specialized services in the basic areas
  • Health problems could be identified earlier before they become more acute and expensive
A lot people scream "Medicare for All" without even knowing that having Medicare doesn't mean that everything is free. Medicare still has co-insurance, co-pays and NO out of pocket maximums. That's where free market-based Medicare Supplements and Medicare Advantage plans come in.

What we have now is a scrambled mess, huge pieces of a puzzle that don't even communicate with each other. That's just not smart, it's shitty economics and it sure as hell isn't good for people who are just trying to get something fixed.

The system is already in place, it's perfectly scalable in the free market, and it's just waiting for us to wake up.

8626-exhibit-a.png

8626-exhibit-b.png

Last edited:
Of course. People on Medicare like it because it's simple, it's consistent, it's predictable, it works, it's effective, and they have plenty of free market choices to tweak it to their own situation. But there would be other good benefits as well:
  • The insurance companies would be freed of the HUGE administration costs of administering low-end services such as doctor visits, preventive and diagnostic care
  • Health care providers would see administrative costs cut because they won't have to be chasing down co-pays and deductibles from clients, instead being able to go straight to the insurance companies within a clear payment template
  • Massive economies of scale for insurance companies as millions of new clients flood the system, allowing for more innovation of services via free market competition
  • No more redundancies and/or missed diagnoses that happen when people are bouncing between the six above coverage types
  • American business would be freed of the costs of providing and administering health care benefits (fucking hallelujah), see charts below, which would also allow smaller employers to better compete with larger employers for talent
  • American hospitals would no longer have to deal with the massive losses they incur every year by people who have high deductible health plans (HDHP) and don't pay their deductibles but still have to be treated
  • A huge new private industry of Medicare-reimbursed preventive and diagnostic storefronts would emerge, allowing for streamlined specialized services in the basic areas
  • Health problems could be identified earlier before they become more acute and expensive
A lot people scream "Medicare for All" without even knowing that having Medicare doesn't mean that everything is free. Medicare still has co-insurance, co-pays and NO out of pocket maximums. That's where free market-based Medicare Supplements and Medicare Advantage plans come in.

What we have now is a scrambled mess, huge pieces of a puzzle that don't even communicate with each other. That's just not smart, it's shitty economics and it sure as hell isn't good for people who are just trying to get something fixed.

The system is already in place, it's perfectly scalable in the free market, and it's just waiting for us to wake up.

I don't dispute any of the points on your list. I haven't really looked into them in any detail, but it's possible that every single of them is true. It's possible that we could double GDP and maximize corporate profits by forcing everyone to marching in a single file like ants. But we're not ants. And forcing humans to fall into line as cogs in a machine is just wrong. I'll fight it with every fiber of my being.

They are not.
Yes they are...you are not listening. Rubio actually has a plan to replace the so called ACA. So does Cruz and Walker. The left wing media that you no doubt listen to is ignoring them but they can't ignore them all the way to redemption day. LMAO you libs are in for an ass kicking like the world has never seen before and I can't wait. All 3 branches in the hands of honest American loving constitutionalists.

What we have now is a scrambled mess, huge pieces of a puzzle that don't even comm:thewave:unicate with each other. That's just not smart, it's shitty economics and it sure as hell isn't good for people who are just trying to get something fixed.

I don't dispute any of the points on your list. I haven't really looked into them in any detail, but it's possible that every single of them is true. It's possible that we could double GDP and maximize corporate profits by forcing everyone to marching in a single file like ants. But we're not ants. And forcing humans to fall into line as cogs in a machine is just wrong. I'll fight it with every fiber of my being.
I understand your concerns, but I'd ask that you consider this:

We're not going to get rid of Medicare. We're not going to get rid of Medicaid. We're not going to get rid of VA. And we're still handicapping American business by making them pay for and administer health care insurance bullshit. That means that, as inefficient as government is, we're allowing it to be even more inefficient when it pays for/administers those three separate programs, none of which communicates with the others! Isn't that madness?

Why don't we streamline and simplify the government's role in this by having it provide a consistent, dependable, understandable foundation, allow the insurance companies to compete for the gaps (as they already do), not make the insurance companies administer all the little crap, and take a huge monkey off the backs of American business?

This 6-part system is crazy.

Okay, enough sermonizing...

:laugh:

Forum List

Back