Abortion advocates sue Alabama AG over prosecution threats for out-of-state travel

Zincwarrior

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2021
Alabama sued by outside abortion advocates who help send women out of state for abortions. It seems the AG has been threatening anyone who provides help to escape Alabama for an abortion criminally. This is similar to the current Texas law, also subject to suits if IIRC.

Abortion advocates sue Alabama AG over prosecution threats for out-of-state travel​

BY NATHANIEL WEIXEL - 07/31/23 12:40 PM ET
SHARETWEET

A group that supports people who need out-of-state abortions in the Deep South sued Alabama’s Republican attorney general Monday, following his threats to prosecute anyone who assists residents who want to travel out of state for an abortion.
The Yellowhammer Fund argued Attorney General Steve Marshall’s threats create an illegal chilling effect on the group’s freedom of expression and have forced the group to stop operating its abortion fund due to fear of prosecution.

Alabama banned nearly all abortions after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, even in cases of rape or incest. Lawmakers in the state are also considering legislation that would allow people who get abortions to be prosecuted for murder and assault in certain situations.
Earlier this year, Marshall threatened to prosecute anyone who “aids and abets” in an abortion. The confusion surrounding that statement resulted in “an increased sense of fear and uncertainty for Plaintiff and pregnant people alike,” the group said in its complaint.
“The Attorney General’s threats violate Yellowhammer Fund’s constitutional rights to free expression, association, travel, and due process and intrude on the sovereignty of states where abortion is legal,” the group wrote.
In a related lawsuit, a group of health providers sued Marshall because he explicitly threatened providers with felony charges for assisting Alabamians seeking to travel out of state to obtain an abortion.
The providers, represented by the ACLU of Alabama, said they are afraid to even share information about obtaining an abortion in places where it’s still legal for fear of prosecution.
The clinics suing do not provide abortion care, but they said they are scared to even provide abortion-adjacent care like counseling or directing women to websites where they could order abortion pills if it’s earlier enough in the pregnancy.

Alabama sued by outside abortion advocates who help send women out of state for abortions. It seems the AG has been threatening anyone who provides help to escape Alabama for an abortion criminally. This is similar to the current Texas law, also subject to suits if IIRC.

And Alabama should lose.

Meanwhile places like California punish businesses like Walgreens that follow Cali law on abortion drugs, but also follow laws in States that restrict them.

Now if this involves a Minor without parental permission, then Alabama should win.

Now if this involves a Minor without parental permission, then Alabama should win.
Interesting, what is your argument. I am not disagreeing, just wondering what your argument is.
Meanwhile places like California punish businesses like Walgreens that follow Cali law on abortion drugs, but also follow laws in States that restrict them.
Agreed. Walgreens is just following the law.

Further proof that conservatives’ hostility to reproductive liberty isn’t about “states’ rights” – it’s about compelling conformity and punishing dissent.

Women have the right to travel to a free state to exercise their right to privacy, which is not within the scope of a ban state’s authority.

Should a Texas woman be arrested for murder if the abortion took place in New Mexico? ... right now that's "yes" ... the unborn child is a resident of Texas, if the woman just plans the trip to New Mexico, in Texas, she violates Texas law and can be arrested ...

She has to stay in New Mexico after the abortion ...

The better question is whether the New Mexico abortion doctor can be arrested if they travel into Texas ...

I ask because I'm a man ... and my opinion is wrong ... so I can't held responsible for any pregnancy ...

Further proof that conservatives’ hostility to reproductive liberty isn’t about “states’ rights” – it’s about compelling conformity and punishing dissent.

Women have the right to travel to a free state to exercise their right to privacy, which is not within the scope of a ban state’s authority.

"reproductive liberty"

:laughing0301: :laughing0301: :laughing0301: :laughing0301: :laughing0301: :laughing0301:

Damn right we are hostile toward a word salad phrase that means absolutely NOTHING, which is used in a ridiculous attempt to cover up millions of murders of the most innocent.

Should a Texas woman be arrested for murder if the abortion took place in New Mexico? ... right now that's "yes" ... the unborn child is a resident of Texas, if the woman just plans the trip to New Mexico, in Texas, she violates Texas law and can be arrested ...

The better question is whether the New Mexico abortion doctor can be arrested if they travel into Texas ...

I ask because I'm a man ... and my opinion is wrong ... so I can't held responsible for any pregnancy ...

We haven't moved into fetal personhood yet, and it wouldn't matter because Texas can't prosecute an adult murdering a person in New Mexico even if the victim was from Texas.

Republicans = Authoritarians
Bake that Cake, peasant.

No ICE Vehicles for you after 2035.

No Plastic Bags, incandescent bulbs, or gas containers that actually work.

Use the right pronouns or else.

I can go on. Abortion is the one topic the right leans towards government intervention because many on the right believe life begins at conception and the fetus deserves the right to live once created.

We haven't moved into fetal personhood yet, and it wouldn't matter because Texas can't prosecute an adult murdering a person in New Mexico even if the victim was from Texas.

Does Texas have loco parentus ... we do in Oregon ... that's the legal theory behind Child Welfare laws ... does Texas ALONE decide what's best for the child, not the parents? ...

I said PLANNING the murder in Texas violates Texas Law ... look it up if you don't believe me ...

ETA: That should read "planning and materially advancing" a felony ...

The law needs to change, yeah.

It could work where there are criminal penalties for leaving the state with intent to murder the kid.

It would require the kid to have legal status / personhood in that state.

Does Texas have loco parentus ... we do in Oregon ... that's the legal theory behind Child Welfare laws ... does Texas ALONE decide what's best for the child, not the parents? ...

I said PLANNING the murder in Texas violates Texas Law ... look it up if you don't believe me ...

ETA: That should read "planning and materially advancing" a felony ...

That assumes things that are illegal in general. They would be travelling to perform something legal in the State they travelled to.

This isn't a fight I agree with. State law ends at the State borders.

Look at the California "sanctuary" law where if a minor makes it there the parents can't get them back if the kid decides they are trans.

That's the road this leads down to.
Yea, but once you get to San Diego, you're not going back to Alabama. :laugh2:
31957138-san-diego-downtown-skyline-at-night-with-boat-in-harbor.jpg

Forum List

Back