A Visit to a Care Home--and Thoughts About Illegals

SweetSue92

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2018
USA
Last night we visited an elderly family member at a care home. I was pleased to see that the care staff seems competent and friendly. My family member reports she is being well cared for, the food is good, and she gets good rest.

This is no less than she deserves, having paid into "the system" for years and years. (We can debate another day whether we need 'a system' at all). As she was reporting that Medicaid would give her a ride to her doctor appointments, I thought of the money all her care was costing. Again, she deserves this care. We owe it to our elderly citizens who have paid in and raised our young ones.

And then I thought of the thousands of people stealing over the border every year, taking money out of the system without ever having put a darn thing in. And they people who support this. Who say it's immoral NOT to support this.

It seems to me, if you support this, you are supporting taking money away from American citizens who really need it. Resources are finite. Money runs out. If you raise taxes, the economy slows and the funds dry up.

Given the scenario above, it seems incomprehensible to me that Americans do not want to seal the border. Can anyone make the case?

Okay, here's the problem with your whole theory.

If we don't have immigration, we aren't going to have enough young people paying into the system to keep it afloat. I mean, it would be nice if the politicians stopped stealing from Social Security to pay for bombers and tax cuts for billionaires, but at some point, we are going to need more younger people to provide the tax revenues for these folks.

Not to mention a pool of people to change Granny's Depends(R) for minimum wage.

The reality, immigration is a net benefit, because we get the value of the goods and services produced by these immigrants, as opposed to these old folks in nursing homes who really don't produce anything at this point in their lives.

Last night we visited an elderly family member at a care home. I was pleased to see that the care staff seems competent and friendly. My family member reports she is being well cared for, the food is good, and she gets good rest.

This is no less than she deserves, having paid into "the system" for years and years. (We can debate another day whether we need 'a system' at all). As she was reporting that Medicaid would give her a ride to her doctor appointments, I thought of the money all her care was costing. Again, she deserves this care. We owe it to our elderly citizens who have paid in and raised our young ones.

And then I thought of the thousands of people stealing over the border every year, taking money out of the system without ever having put a darn thing in. And they people who support this. Who say it's immoral NOT to support this.

It seems to me, if you support this, you are supporting taking money away from American citizens who really need it. Resources are finite. Money runs out. If you raise taxes, the economy slows and the funds dry up.

Given the scenario above, it seems incomprehensible to me that Americans do not want to seal the border. Can anyone make the case?

I do some voluntary work for the social services, which involves visitations to a care home. Old age and infirmity used to be a one dimensional concept for me, but now I feel confronted by harsh reality. Some of it is heartbreaking to watch. Like G-D's waiting room.

As you said, elderly citizens; those people were young and full of vitality once.

The guy I visit had an exciting career once, working around the world, lived in exciting places. Now he has no one, uses one of those walkers to get around.

If we don't have immigration, we aren't going to have enough young people paying into the system to keep it afloat. I mean, it would be nice if the politicians stopped stealing from Social Security to pay for bombers and tax cuts for billionaires, but at some point, we are going to need more younger people to provide the tax revenues for these folks.

The reality, immigration is a net benefit, because we get the value of the goods and services produced by these immigrants, as opposed to these old folks in nursing homes who really don't produce anything at this point in their lives.

Illegals don't "pay into the system". Hello?

I do some voluntary work for the social services, which involves visitations to a care home. Old age and infirmity used to be a one dimensional concept for me, but now I feel confronted by harsh reality. Some of it is heartbreaking to watch. Like G-D's waiting room.

As you said, elderly citizens; those people were young and full of vitality once.

The guy I visit had an exciting career once, working around the world, lived in exciting places. Now he has no one, uses one of those walkers to get around.

I think the thing is, we never contemplated a society where lots of people would live into their 70's and 80's. No longer capable of caring for themselves or producing an income, but too much of a burden for their families after a certain point.

Of course, the very "Christian" OP was that mean old illegals were taking resources meant for relatives that other good Christians dumped in nursing homes.

I've worked in many of them

Maybe we should let them , like the DACA residents, but no the Gov now under Trump control won't let them.

It is not possible for you to be more wrong. You've really chosen to ignore the facts and live in your own world.

There may be no hope for you.

I think the thing is, we never contemplated a society where lots of people would live into their 70's and 80's. No longer capable of caring for themselves or producing an income, but too much of a burden for their families after a certain point.

Of course, the very "Christian" OP was that mean old illegals were taking resources meant for relatives that other good Christians dumped in nursing homes.

OTOH, I've seen older people walking around the town, still vigorous and full of energy.

I think there's a 99 year old woman in the US who teaches yoga!

Elderly care has gotten better, but I agree it's heartbreaking in so many cases. I couldn't do it--I couldn't tend to elderly people, God bless those who do, who have a heart for it. The heartbreak would show in my eyes, and they don't need that.

How can you not know that undocumented immigrants pay into the system?

Easy. You don't want to know.

It is not possible for you to be more wrong. You've really chosen to ignore the facts and live in your own world.

There may be no hope for you.

Yeah, yeah, resorting to the usual "shaming" tactics. So prove me wrong. Prove that putting illegals, who do not pay into the system, into our schools at the very least, and into our prisons, is a net benefit and a not a net draw. I bet you can't, which is why you think saying "there may be no hope for you" is going to affect me.

It doesn't.

Has it ever occurred to you that some of these people require 24/7 medical care? Or are in some stage of dementia and it is impossible to watch them or fight them 24/7? The US has a lengthy history of nursing homes.

Ya, it has nothing to do with taxes. It has to do with lowering wages.

How can you not know that undocumented immigrants pay into the system?

Easy. You don't want to know.

They cost the US taxpayer $116 billion annually, mostly in state and local taxes. And of course this makes sense when you think about it.

http://www.irli.org/single-post/201...MI3Lv6rJXZ3wIVByhpCh1CBA_-EAAYASAAEgIq7_D_BwE

(Bring on the well poisoning, but I don't care. Anyone with a lick of common sense can see that this is true)

Elderly care has gotten better, but I agree it's heartbreaking in so many cases. I couldn't do it--I couldn't tend to elderly people, God bless those who do, who have a heart for it. The heartbreak would show in my eyes, and they don't need that.

Aging is a part of life for many.

Sure they do. When they use a fake SSN, money is going INTO the system. They also pay into the system when they pay sales taxes and other taxes.

More to the point, who do you think is taking the jobs at those nursing homes that white Christian folks are dumping their unwanted relatives into?

Elderly care has gotten better, but I agree it's heartbreaking in so many cases. I couldn't do it--I couldn't tend to elderly people,

Well, Good thing we have undocumented immigrants who are willing to take care of them, then.

NOw if we could only get racist assholes to stop hassling them or trying to build walls to show their hatred.

Has it ever occurred to you that some of these people require 24/7 medical care? Or are in some stage of dementia and it is impossible to watch them or fight them 24/7? The US has a lengthy history of nursing homes.

Ya, it has nothing to do with taxes. It has to do with lowering wages.

I agree but what do you mean by your last two sentences?

That's right. I'm not for people stealing others' resources. That's what illegals are doing. Stealing. Illegally. That's for starters.

For enders, you don't know the particulars of the situations in which people are in nursing homes. Usually they require constant care and close monitoring of medications, which no one can provide unless they quit their jobs to care for them nearly around the clock. Or, they require wheelchairs to get around, etc. At that point, families have to make hard decisions.

Judgmental much?

Yeah, yeah, resorting to the usual "shaming" tactics. So prove me wrong. Prove that putting illegals, who do not pay into the system, into our schools at the very least, and into our prisons, is a net benefit and a not a net draw. I bet you can't, which is why you think saying "there may be no hope for you" is going to affect me.

again, they are paying into the system... They hold down jobs, they pay taxes...

Putting their kids through school is a net benefit. They gain skills and abilities to be productive citizens.

Prison is always a waste, immigrant or citizen, but since we have some people getting filthy rich on the deal, that isn't going to change.

Sure they do. When they use a fake SSN, money is going INTO the system. They also pay into the system when they pay sales taxes and other taxes.

More to the point, who do you think is taking the jobs at those nursing homes that white Christian folks are dumping their unwanted relatives into?

Elderly care has gotten better, but I agree it's heartbreaking in so many cases. I couldn't do it--I couldn't tend to elderly people,

Well, Good thing we have undocumented immigrants who are willing to take care of them, then.

NOw if we could only get racist assholes to stop hassling them or trying to build walls to show their hatred.

You're a very simple thinker, Joe. A shame for a person your age, but there it is.

Aging is a part of life for many.

No, it's a part of life for ALL. The only exception is....the dead. If you're dead, you're not aging.

Forum List

Back