A Trio Of M1 Garand Bayonets

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
My pawn shop called and said a guy brought in a few old bayonets and asked if I'd come down and see if wanted them.

All three were M1 Garand bayonets of different flavors.....I gave $50.00 each for them.

m1 001 (2).JPG

Top to bottom:

1942 dated M1905 made by Utica Cutlery in very nice shape.

Bayonet, M1.....Known as a transitional bayonet made by Union Fork & Hoe. They were made from unused M1905 blade blanks, likely made around May of 1943....Most all are undated.

M5A1 made by Milpar Col......First issued in 1953. They are not dated.

All have their proper sheaths.

I have one like the top one, and also a German one from WW I. Didn't know they were worth anything, got them at an Army surplus store long time ago for a $1.50 each.

My pawn shop called and said a guy brought in a few old bayonets and asked if I'd come down and see if wanted them.

All three were M1 Garand bayonets of different flavors.....I gave $50.00 each for them.

View attachment 743076

Top to bottom:

Bayonet, M1.....Known as a transitional bayonet made by Union Fork & Hoe. They were made from unused M1905 blade blanks, likely made around May of 1943....Most all are undated.

I've been looking for one like the first one.
Pretty hard to find for a reasonable price.

View attachment 743076

Top to bottom:

They stopped dating blades in the middle of 1943. That included bayonets and fighting knives. UC is one of the smaller makers, 200,000 or so. It has been refinished, probably in the 1960's but it looks very good regardless. At 50 bucks you stole it. The UFH is original finish and once again, 50 bucks is a steal. The M5 I don't care for. You paid about what they are worth.

Interesting, I didn't know there were three sizes on the bayonets. I would guess the UFH was standard issue, the M5 looks like a trench knife that wouldn't work on the same type of bayonet lug as the other two.

I have one like the top one, and also a German one from WW I. Didn't know they were worth anything, got them at an Army surplus store long time ago for a $1.50 each.

The wartime 16" plastic-handled M1905s go anywhere from $400 and on up depending on decent condition and manufacturer. There were also wood handled M1905s meant for the M1903 Springfield rifle though both will fit the other.

The 1942 dated 16" bladed Uticas are rare with most of their M1905 production of '42 being cut down to the new standard length of 10" in March of '43. If I had to venture a guess I might push $600.00+ out of it.

Thing is that they are so scarce (in 16" trim) I can't even find one for sale right now.

The wartime 16" plastic-handled M1905s go anywhere from $400 and on up depending on decent condition and manufacturer. There were also wood handled M1905s meant for the M1903 Springfield rifle though both will fit the other.

The 1942 dated 16" bladed Uticas are rare with most of their M1905 production of '42 being cut down to the new standard length of 10" in March of '43. If I had to venture a guess I might push $600.00+ out of it.

Thing is that they are so scarce (in 16" trim) I can't even find one for sale right now.

Refinished I think you are pushing it pretty hard at 600. 450 to 500 would be more in line with what I see at the shows. If it were a WT you could get over 800, but not a UC.

They stopped dating blades in the middle of 1943. That included bayonets and fighting knives. UC is one of the smaller makers, 200,000 or so. It has been refinished, probably in the 1960's but it looks very good regardless. At 50 bucks you stole it. The UFH is original finish and once again, 50 bucks is a steal. The M5 I don't care for. You paid about what they are worth.
Yeah the M5A1 was just a throw-in to get the other two.....Sometimes you gotta play the game. ;)

The UC is right on time for me because it's in a USN MK 1 marked sheath. For some odd reason the Navy did not use the 10" bayonet and had the 16" M1905 in inventory till the 80s......It will go well with my 7.62 NATO Navy Garand. ;)

u 001 (2).JPG

I put the UFH with the Garand I bought last week because they have about the same patina.

Interesting, I didn't know there were three sizes on the bayonets. I would guess the UFH was standard issue, the M5 looks like a trench knife that wouldn't work on the same type of bayonet lug as the other two.
There is even a 7" one that the Koreans used.....And a couple flavors of those.

OIP.wjrlua_KOhDdeBCpv9bPcQHaFj

Product83067.jpg

Then Danish.

OIP.zrfMiXXWDVooiizoFIAvDQHaDa

Yeah the M5A1 was just a throw-in to get the other two.....Sometimes you gotta play the game. ;)

The UC is right on time for me because it's in a USN MK 1 marked sheath. For some odd reason the Navy did not use the 10" bayonet and had the 16" M1905 in inventory till the 80s......It will go well with my 7.62 NATO Navy Garand. ;)

View attachment 743085

I put the UFH with the Garand I bought last week because they have about the same patina.
What did the friggin Navy need bayonets for? LOL!

I just looked at my bayonet for my Carbine, it is a 7" with a black handle, very similar to the 7" pics you posted, but there is something on the handle base, it has two spring loaded tabs on the bottom and when pushed, two locking tabs open outwards on the top, in order to lock onto a lug, apparently, and there is a groove in the middle between the locking tabs.

Probably not a legit bayonet for a Carbine unless it is Korean era or later. Sheath looks legit.

I just looked at my bayonet for my Carbine, it is a 7" with a black handle, very similar to the 7" pics you posted, but there is something on the handle base, it has two spring loaded tabs on the bottom and when pushed, two locking tabs open outwards on the top, in order to lock onto a lug, apparently, and there is a groove in the middle between the locking tabs.

Probably not a legit bayonet for a Carbine unless it is Korean era or later. Sheath looks legit.
Post a pic and i'll try to help.

This is a repro, but what you describe is proper for an M1 Carbine bayonet. The image at bottom right is what yours should look like from the rear.

m4-bayonet-1943-style-with-sheath.jpg

Forum List

Back