A tale of two men

BorisTheAnimal

It's Just Boris
Apr 26, 2013
West end of the Erie Canal
Had a rather interesting encounter with two African American men today. They possessed strikingly different, and I mean night-and-day different points of view concerning current events and race relations. The first gentleman was wearing a "Black Panthers" shirt and after I confronted him on the police issues, he accused me of being a racist because I told him that skin color doesn't matter to me. I even tried to tell him that King had the right idea, but it seems all he wanted to do is stick his fingers in his ears. Later, as I was having lunch, I struck a conversation with another gentleman of color. And we spoke of the same issues and we found each other to agree more than not about what needs to be done. This reflects wholly on my own ideas of race:
1) I could give a rat's ass about skin color
2) King had the right idea. We treat each other with respect, we'd go a long way to improve relations
3) No argument from me Law Enforcement needs major reform.
4) The militant, in your face approach does nothing but harms your cause.

Had a rather interesting encounter with two African American men today. They possessed strikingly different, and I mean night-and-day different points of view concerning current events and race relations. The first gentleman was wearing a "Black Panthers" shirt and after I confronted him on the police issues, he accused me of being a racist because I told him that skin color doesn't matter to me. I even tried to tell him that King had the right idea, but it seems all he wanted to do is stick his fingers in his ears. Later, as I was having lunch, I struck a conversation with another gentleman of color. And we spoke of the same issues and we found each other to agree more than not about what needs to be done. This reflects wholly on my own ideas of race:
2) King had the right idea. We treat each other with respect, we'd go a long way to improve relations
Well, I'm glad you cleared that up, Boris. It's a relief to have a newbie that has some sense. I think. If there isn't a big "BUT" in there somewhere.

• Banned
Well, I'm glad you cleared that up, Boris. It's a relief to have a newbie that has some sense. I think. If there isn't a big "BUT" in there somewhere.
No "buts" about it. If we treat each other with respect, then we go a very long way to improve race relations. But if we adopt the "Malcom X" approach, then it's only asking for trouble. This is EXACTLY why when the George Floyd incident first unfolded, I asked for patience, let the system work itself out. Chauvin and the other three officers were caught dead and stinkin', so there is zero justifiable defense.

The N word doesn't apply to all blacks, just the really stupid and lazy ones looking for a free ride on the back of society. Whites have the same types, they're known as red necks, pecker woods, white trash and any number of other epithets.

I agree with the list. However, my significant other, who is a professor, has found that there are a number of blacks in her classes that have requested "passing grades," more precisely, "grades that won't hurt them," citing that as persons of color, they should be given preference.
I don't know about you, but I don't want engineers, doctors, lawyers, et cetera that only passed through the universities because they were given "special treatment" and are the ones, building the buildings, homes and bridges, or being my doctor, or would be defending me in court, if they were incompetent. There should be no "special treatment," only equality and in education, it's pass or fail and if you fail, there's always trade schools and if you're unable to pass those, there's always the gut jobs that need doing and it's not a negative thing to work in those gut jobs (sanitation workers, custodial workers, et cetera), they're work that needs doing.

Last edited:
No "buts" about it. If we treat each other with respect, then we go a very long way to improve race relations. But if we adopt the "Malcom X" approach, then it's only asking for trouble. This is EXACTLY why when the George Floyd incident first unfolded, I asked for patience, let the system work itself out. Chauvin and the other three officers were caught dead and stinkin', so there is zero justifiable defense.
I agree with your approach. The thing is, though, this recent unrest and protest did not begin with Chauvin. He was the final straw. Kaepernick started kneeling during the anthem in 2016. BLM has been around since 2013. There have been a lot of missed opportunities to get to work.

Even MLK was dealing with the Panthers and the Malcolm X approach; some people are wicked angry. There are always two voices, at least, when these issues arise. It is up to ALL of us, whatever skin color, to focus on real solutions and to continue to talk, not shout. It is happening in towns and cities across America, and in the halls of Congress. There's hope yet.

I, too, have been wishing for another MLK to rise here and bring a voice of sanity to the current goings on. It's more how I roll. I can't defend the violence, the statue toppling, either; I support what BLM has to say, so far as I understand it, but some of the protesters are making that a hard row to hoe.

And personally, it's nice to have a conversation about race without a pack taking hunks out of my hide.
Well said and thanks for that.

I agree with the list. However, my significant other, who is a professor, has found that there are a number of blacks in her classes that have requested "passing grades," more precisely, "grades that won't hurt them," citing that as persons of color, they should be given preference.
I don't know about you, but I don't want engineers, doctors, lawyers, et cetera that only passed through the universities because they were given "special treatment" and are the ones, building the buildings, homes and bridges, or being my doctor, or would be defending me in court, if they were incompetent. There should be no "special treatment," only equality and in education, it's pass or fail.
After all that is exactly how a lot of them got there in the first place. It's how Obama got through isn't it?

[.,l
l
I don't know about you, but I don't want engineers, doctors, lawyers, et cetera that only passed through the universities because they were given "special treatment" and are the ones, building the buildings, homes and bridges, or being my doctor, or would be defending me in court, if they were incompetent. There should be no "special treatment," only equality and in education, it's pass or fail.
After all that is exactly how a lot of them got there in the first place. It's how Obama got through isn't it?
No. Why would you think that?

The N word doesn't apply to all blacks, just the really stupid and lazy ones looking for a free ride on the back of society. Whites have the same types, they're known as red necks, pecker woods, white trash and any number of other epithets.
I'm still reminded of the scene from the 1971 Clint Eastwood movie "Dirty Harry" where his young partner asks him, "Why do people call you 'Dirty Harry'?" Digiorgio replies ; "That's our Harry, doesn't play favorites, Harry hates everybody, Limeys, Hebes, Micks, Fat Dagos, *******, Honkies, Chinks, you name it..."

There was a lawsuit filed some years ago by nine white Buffalo Firefighters who scored higher on the Lieutenant's Exam than their black counterparts. They won that one.

Things that never happened

There was a lawsuit filed some years ago by nine white Buffalo Firefighters who scored higher on the Lieutenant's Exam than their black counterparts. They won that one.
I vaguely recall that one and it was one where common sense prevailed.

I don't know about you, but I don't want engineers, doctors, lawyers, et cetera that only passed through the universities because they were given "special treatment" and are the ones, building the buildings, homes and bridges, or being my doctor, or would be defending me in court, if they were incompetent. There should be no "special treatment," only equality and in education, it's pass or fail and if you fail, there's always trade schools and if you're unable to pass those, there's always the gut jobs that need doing and it's not a negative thing to work in those gut jobs (sanitation workers, custodial workers, et cetera), they're work that needs doing.
You are decades to late. The best of the best have to be the best. And that is not true anymore in the percentages needed.

Percentages needed? I'm just pointing out what occurs in classes. She just wrapped up a class and there again was a black student expecting her to give her a favorable grade, "so it didn't hurt her," even though the student didn't bother turning in all assignments and didn't follow instructions on the test.

Forum List

Back