A Six-Point Plan to Restore Economic Growth and Prosperity

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
A Six-Point Plan To Restore Economic Growth And Prosperity - Investors.com

That's a subscription site, so I am going to copy and paste the meat of the article. Not something I ordinarily do.

This plan, for the most part, jibes with my personal beliefs of what we need to do to "get the economy going again".

All bold face and coloring, other than the title of the piece, are mine.

<snip>

1. Streamline the federal bureaucracy. Government has become much like the neighbor who has hoarded every magazine and odd knick-knack for 50 years. The attic and every room are stuffed with items no one would miss. The size of the US code has multiplied by over 18 times in 65 years. There are more than 1 million restrictive regulations.

Enough already. It's time to clean out the attic. The president, with some flexibility, should require each agency to reduce the number of regulations under its purview by 20%, at the rate of 5% a year. And then Congress should pass a sunset law for the remaining regulations, requiring them to be reviewed at some point in order to be maintained.

Further, if new rules are needed, then remove some old ones. Stop the growth of the federal regulatory code. We have enough rules today; let's just make sure they're the right ones.

2. Simplify and flatten the income tax. Make the individual income rate 20% (at most) for all income over $50,000, with no deductions for anything. Reduce the corporate tax to 15%, again eliminating all deductions other than what is allowed by standard accounting practice. No perks, no special benefits.

Further, tax foreign corporate income at 5%–10%, and let companies bring it back home to invest here. This strategy will actually increase tax revenues.

3. Replace the payroll tax with a business transfer tax of 15%, which will give lower-income workers a big raise. Companies would pay tax on their gross receipts, minus allowable expenses in the conduct of producing goods and services.

Nearly every economist agrees that consumption taxes are better than income taxes. Further, this tax can be rebated at the border, so it should encourage domestic production and be popular with union workers since it makes US products more competitive internationally.

4. Provide certainty by keeping tax rates low through a tax-limitation constitutional amendment that would require future tax increases to be passed by 60% of the Congress, in combination with a balanced-budget amendment.

We realize that implementation of these measures could be somewhat jarring, so we'd suggest phasing them in over four to five years – more than enough time for everyone to adjust.

5. Roll back the regulatory state. Recognize that many federal agencies are still mired in the mid-20th century if not the 19th. It's time to design a regulatory system that fosters jobs and growth while protecting citizens.

Let's start with the easy target: the Food and Drug Administration. The United States is the wellspring of biotechnological research, yet more and more of our original research is being taken overseas for further development, producing jobs outside the US

A bipartisan commission can design a new agency with a new regulatory regime and bring it to the floor of Congress for a vote. Instead of a system that makes drug-creation prohibitively expensive, favors Big Pharma and exports jobs, let's harness the power of US entrepreneurs.

Streamline the process so healthcare can keep up with research, thereby lowering healthcare costs and providing healthier outcomes for everyone. Then start with the next regulatory agency until all have been updated.

6. Drill for America's domestic energy and use the royalties on federal lands to retire the debt and/or fund needed infrastructure repair instead of raising taxes. An estimated $2 trillion of royalties and other fees could be raised by drilling on non-environmentally sensitive lands, and this would reduce US reliance on foreign oil while breaking the financial back of many terrorist networks.

Growth is the solution to nearly every social, economic, and financial problem in America, and we aren't getting enough of it. This is a plan that puts US competitiveness first and brings middle-class jobs back to America. We are eager to see which candidates – in either party – embrace this prosperity agenda.

Number 3 is one I have never thought of or heard of before, but the more I think about it, the more I am liking it.

A Six-Point Plan To Restore Economic Growth And Prosperity - Investors.com

That's a subscription site, so I am going to copy and paste the meat of the article. Not something I ordinarily do.

This plan, for the most part, jibes with my personal beliefs of what we need to do to "get the economy going again".

All bold face and coloring, other than the title of the piece, are mine.

<snip>

1. Streamline the federal bureaucracy. Government has become much like the neighbor who has hoarded every magazine and odd knick-knack for 50 years. The attic and every room are stuffed with items no one would miss. The size of the US code has multiplied by over 18 times in 65 years. There are more than 1 million restrictive regulations.

Enough already. It's time to clean out the attic. The president, with some flexibility, should require each agency to reduce the number of regulations under its purview by 20%, at the rate of 5% a year. And then Congress should pass a sunset law for the remaining regulations, requiring them to be reviewed at some point in order to be maintained.

Further, if new rules are needed, then remove some old ones. Stop the growth of the federal regulatory code. We have enough rules today; let's just make sure they're the right ones.

2. Simplify and flatten the income tax. Make the individual income rate 20% (at most) for all income over $50,000, with no deductions for anything. Reduce the corporate tax to 15%, again eliminating all deductions other than what is allowed by standard accounting practice. No perks, no special benefits.

Further, tax foreign corporate income at 5%–10%, and let companies bring it back home to invest here. This strategy will actually increase tax revenues.

3. Replace the payroll tax with a business transfer tax of 15%, which will give lower-income workers a big raise. Companies would pay tax on their gross receipts, minus allowable expenses in the conduct of producing goods and services.

Nearly every economist agrees that consumption taxes are better than income taxes. Further, this tax can be rebated at the border, so it should encourage domestic production and be popular with union workers since it makes US products more competitive internationally.

4. Provide certainty by keeping tax rates low through a tax-limitation constitutional amendment that would require future tax increases to be passed by 60% of the Congress, in combination with a balanced-budget amendment.

We realize that implementation of these measures could be somewhat jarring, so we'd suggest phasing them in over four to five years – more than enough time for everyone to adjust.

5. Roll back the regulatory state. Recognize that many federal agencies are still mired in the mid-20th century if not the 19th. It's time to design a regulatory system that fosters jobs and growth while protecting citizens.

Let's start with the easy target: the Food and Drug Administration. The United States is the wellspring of biotechnological research, yet more and more of our original research is being taken overseas for further development, producing jobs outside the US

A bipartisan commission can design a new agency with a new regulatory regime and bring it to the floor of Congress for a vote. Instead of a system that makes drug-creation prohibitively expensive, favors Big Pharma and exports jobs, let's harness the power of US entrepreneurs.

Streamline the process so healthcare can keep up with research, thereby lowering healthcare costs and providing healthier outcomes for everyone. Then start with the next regulatory agency until all have been updated.

6. Drill for America's domestic energy and use the royalties on federal lands to retire the debt and/or fund needed infrastructure repair instead of raising taxes. An estimated $2 trillion of royalties and other fees could be raised by drilling on non-environmentally sensitive lands, and this would reduce US reliance on foreign oil while breaking the financial back of many terrorist networks.

Growth is the solution to nearly every social, economic, and financial problem in America, and we aren't getting enough of it. This is a plan that puts US competitiveness first and brings middle-class jobs back to America. We are eager to see which candidates – in either party – embrace this prosperity agenda.
ECONOMIC GROWTH AND STABILITY ( Recovery )

(1) Re-write our unfair, unjust, and one-sided foreign trade agreements and policies, so that they become fair, equal, and balanced foreign trade agreements and policies.
(2) Severely penalize the off-shore out-sourcing of our jobs.
(3) Severely penalize the importing of labor.
(4) Life in prison without the possibility of parole for anyone hiring, housing, or otherwise aiding and assisting illegal immigrants.
(5) Fair, equal, and just taxation across the board.
(6) End the Lobbyists' control of the U.S. Congress.
(7) Keep American Technology in America.
(8) End our dependency on cheap foreign imports by putting America back to work, producing what America uses and consumes.
(9) Heavily invest in infrastructure, education, and alternative energy sources.
(10) End foreign aid unless there's a natural disaster or other emergency.
(11) End senseless deadly costly wars.
(12) End subsidies ( corporations, rich farmers, big oil ).
(13) A one-term limit for all politicians.
(14) End excessive military spending ( unnecessary bases on foreign soil, no-bid contracts, etc. ).
(15) End the care and support for illegal immigrants.
(16) End pork spending.
(17) End stupid wasteful projects such as the fence along our southern border.
(18) Stop funding terrorists and drug lords.
(19) Stop building mosques on foreign soil.
(20) Elect pro-America representatives to serve in government, and stop electing and re-electing professional politicians.

Number 3 is one I have never thought of or heard of before, but the more I think about it, the more I am liking it.

That ends up taxing corporations at 30%.
30% of what? Their off-shore assets? After deductions are counted? Before subsidies are counted? After deferred taxes due to depreciation of equipment and vehicles? After credits for investments? Credit for losses? After stock devaluation?

In other words, 30% of what cash and assets?

#3 is commonly called a Value Added Tax. Politicians love it because it's hidden from consumers. It's a tax that promotes government.

No thanks.

(4) Life in prison without the possibility of parole for anyone hiring, housing, or otherwise aiding and assisting illegal immigrants.
Gee, that doesn't sound extreme at all! :biggrin:

#3 is commonly called a Value Added Tax. Politicians love it because it's hidden from consumers. It's a tax that promotes government.

No thanks.
It's a consumption tax which replaces a tax on production (payroll tax), making it far preferable.

1985: The Uses of a Business Transfer Tax

Senator William Roth (R-Del.) a senior member of the Senate Finance Committee, has proposed two versions of the business transfer tax. Both would levy a Federal tax on net receipts of domestic business. The cost of raw materials and capital expenditures would be subtracted from gross receipts to obtain this base . Such a tax would be, in fact, a "consumption-based" value-added tax. Because of political misfortune associated with the value-added tax name, it isn't being called that. It's doubtful that many are being fooled, however.

Senator Roth was a Republican fiscal conservative. He was a big force in the Reagan tax cuts.

He was also the creator of the Roth IRA.

No thanks.
It's a consumption tax which replaces a tax on production (payroll tax), making it far preferable.
the problem is that it's hidden. It doesn't show up on your sales receipt, so consumers have no idea how much tax they are paying. Usually new taxes are just added to the old ones. When have politicians ever repealed any tax?

I'm just not sure what they mean by payroll tax. State and fed income tax. Soc Sec and Medicare. IF what they mean is lower the overall fed income taxation and replace the revenue with a kind of VAT ... maybe.

No thanks.
the problem is that it's hidden. It doesn't show up on your sales receipt, so consumers have no idea how much tax they are paying. Usually new taxes are just added to the old ones. When have politicians ever repealed any tax?
There are already hidden taxes in everything you buy which drive up their price. That's the whole point of a consumption tax. Better than a tax on your income any day.

This is what I mean about the modern day conservative movement having strayed so incredibly far from the reservation.

No thanks.
There are already hidden taxes in everything you buy which drive up their price. That's the whole point of a consumption tax. Better than a tax on your income any day.

You're correct, there are many hidden taxes. I have no interest in creating more of them, especially not such a huge one like the VAT.

This is what I mean about the modern day conservative movement having strayed so incredibly far from the reservation.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

I'm just not sure what they mean by payroll tax. State and fed income tax. Soc Sec and Medicare. IF what they mean is lower the overall fed income taxation and replace the revenue with a kind of VAT ... maybe.
Yes, they mean repealing Social Security and Medicare taxes and unemployment insurance. It would be an increase in your income.

Yes, they mean repealing Social Security and Medicare taxes and unemployment insurance. It would be an instant raise in your income.

Not when everything you buy costs 15% more.

No thanks.

You're correct, there are many hidden taxes. I have no interest in creating more of them, especially not such a huge one like the VAT.

It is not the VAT. Not the one most people think of when they think of a VAT.

Yes, they mean repealing Social Security and Medicare taxes and unemployment insurance. It would be an instant raise in your income.

That is a number pulled from your ass.

Yes, they mean repealing Social Security and Medicare taxes and unemployment insurance. It would be an increase in your income.
Well, you gotta raise the money. Granted soc sec and medicare could be more progressive, but there were specific legislative reasons for not paying for them with general revenuse ... granted the "lockbox" is hyperbole for general tax revenues. But, overall, reform is needed. They'd have to do the math to see who's ox is gored.

No thanks.

It is not the VAT. Not the one most people think of when they think of a VAT.

How is it not a VAT when it works exactly the same way as a VAT?

That is a number pulled from your ass.

Didn't you just propose a 15% on all business transfers?

Forum List

Back