A Recruiting Poster

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
Why You Should Stay the Hell Away From the American Military

Some advice: Don’t get shot in the face. I don’t care what your friends tell you, it isn’t a good idea. Further, avoid corneal transplants if you can. If you find a coupon for one, in a box of Cracker Jacks maybe, toss it. Transplants are miserable things. Unless you really need one. What am I talking about? Eyes, and losing them, and getting them back. On this, I am an accidental authority.

Long long ago, in a far galaxy, the United States was bringing democracy to Viet Nam, which had barely heard of it and didn’t want it anyway. As an expression of their desire to be left alone, the locals spent several years shooting Americans. I was one of them: a young dumb Marine with little idea either where I was or why. But that was common in those days.

Some advice: Don’t get shot in the face. I don’t care what your friends tell you, it isn’t a good idea. Further, avoid corneal transplants if you can. If you find a coupon for one, in a box of Cracker Jacks maybe, toss it. Transplants are miserable things. Unless you really need one. What am I talking about? Eyes, and losing them, and getting them back. On this, I am an accidental authority.

Long long ago, in a far galaxy, the United States was bringing democracy to Viet Nam, which had barely heard of it and didn’t want it anyway. As an expression of their desire to be left alone, the locals spent several years shooting Americans. I was one of them: a young dumb Marine with little idea either where I was or why. But that was common in those days.
Thank you for your service.

I'm assuming it was a head wound given your "postings" on this board..........

How would our military have benefited from the exponential advancements in weaponry, combat gear, armor, battlefield medicine, and communications gear if we hadn't been involved in some skirmish or another? Were it not for those, we would still be wearing ineffective M1 steel pot helmets and crappy Vietnam-era flak jackets, which did virtually nothing to stop a bullet. We would still be using M-16A1 rifles that jammed every few bursts and needed constant cleaning.

We lost 68,000 men and women during the short period of time there were combat troops in Vietnam. The War on Terror has been going on since 2001, and there have only been a fraction of the casualties.

• Banned

How would our military have benefited from the exponential advancements in weaponry, combat gear, armor, battlefield medicine, and communications gear if we hadn't been involved in some skirmish or another? Were it not for those, we would still be wearing ineffective M1 steel pot helmets and crappy Vietnam-era flak jackets, which did virtually nothing to stop a bullet. We would still be using M-16A1 rifles that jammed every few bursts and needed constant cleaning.

We lost 68,000 men and women during the short period of time there were combat troops in Vietnam. The War on Terror has been going on since 2001, and there have only been a fraction of the casualties.
if we minded our own business those needs would not matter- there would be no American casualties if the US actually cared about the Military personnel and didn't serve the MIC.

• Banned

You ass u me- that's your problem, not mine. IF you attack a messenger, as you're attempting to do, you insult yourself in public- and while I am the age of the author, I served in the Navy (65-68 USS Yorktown CVS 10), not the Marines and only saw the flashes of artillery from a distance and our helicopters with bullet holes in them-

You ass u me- that's your problem, not mine. IF you attack a messenger, as you're attempting to do, you insult yourself in public- and while I am the age of the author, I served in the Navy (65-68 USS Yorktown CVS 10), not the Marines and only saw the flashes of artillery from a distance and our helicopters with bullet holes in them-
Well the way you posted it it looked like you were claiming to be a Marine........ Maybe you should try quotes for the article content so people know if it's the author or you.
So was your head injury due to shore leave........? :eusa_whistle:

I won't go into details but I served during the time in question and I can tell you I highly respect the mud soldier who didn't go to the warm meals, warm showers and dry beds each and every night or even on a weekend. I would just "Visit" their world from time to time. No longer than a 2 week stint. These guys did it for a year at a time, take a break and then do it for another year stint. They would bitch out everything, their lives, the meals (the shortages of meals). the rain, rotting feet, the policies and more. But every morning, they would put on their dry socks and go do it all over again.

Neither you nor I have the right to condemn them for anything, you F***ing premadonna.

Well the way you posted it it looked like you were claiming to be a Marine........ Maybe you should try quotes for the article content so people know if it's the author or you.
So was your head injury due to shore leave........? :eusa_whistle:

He got a serious papercut.

I won't go into details but I served during the time in question and I can tell you I highly respect the mud soldier who didn't go to the warm meals, warm showers and dry beds each and every night or even on a weekend. I would just "Visit" their world from time to time. No longer than a 2 week stint. These guys did it for a year at a time, take a break and then do it for another year stint. They would bitch out everything, their lives, the meals (the shortages of meals). the rain, rotting feet, the policies and more. But every morning, they would put on their dry socks and go do it all over again.

Neither you nor I have the right to condemn them for anything, you F***ing premadonna.
Yeah, I served during that period also, my Marines called me Doc though that was in Panama, missed Nam by two weeks. Nixon had started the draw down and my original orders were changed so I went to Panama instead. Was raised military so had quite a few friends and family go to Nam, seemed like my dad was over there all the time.

Yeah, I served during that period also, my Marines called me Doc though that was in Panama, missed Nam by two weeks. Nixon had started the draw down and my original orders were changed so I went to Panama instead. Was raised military so had quite a few friends and family go to Nam, seemed like my dad was over there all the time.

Funny, it bothers me after the years of almost downright neglect of serving during that time period when someone says to me "Thank you for your service". I don't thank you for your service. But I do give you Salute, Brother.

I don't recall condemning them- neither did the author who served as a Marine in Vietnam, until he was shot in the face- the article, if you had the sense or the nerve to read it was an accounting of what happened to him and others-he lost his vision and suffered severe cataracts but praised the opthomologists who operated on him- of course that didn't fit in your narrative (which by definition is narrow) so you choose to attack me, the messenger, vs addressing what's actually in the link- is there a reason for that? Does it make you feel better insulting yourself in public?

SMH- reaction is a learned action- response is a thought through action- of course some have to be taught to respond, but, reacting is so much easier so it's usually the path chosen- does the name Pavlov mean anything to you?
I abhor war, especially under false pretense- which ALL or wars since the revolution have been-

Funny, it bothers me after the years of almost downright neglect of serving during that time period when someone says to me "Thank you for your service". I don't thank you for your service. But I do give you Salute, Brother.
I kinda feel weird when someone thanks me for my service, it's not necessary but some vets like it so I occasionally use it though most of the time all it takes is a look and a nod of acknowledgement.

I don't recall condemning them- neither did the author who served as a Marine in Vietnam, until he was shot in the face- the article, if you had the sense or the nerve to read it was an accounting of what happened to him and others-he lost his vision and suffered severe cataracts but praised the opthomologists who operated on him- of course that didn't fit in your narrative (which by definition is narrow) so you choose to attack me, the messenger, vs addressing what's actually in the link- is there a reason for that? Does it make you feel better insulting yourself in public?

SMH- reaction is a learned action- response is a thought through action- of course some have to be taught to respond, but, reacting is so much easier so it's usually the path chosen- does the name Pavlov mean anything to you?
I abhor war, especially under false pretense- which ALL or wars since the revolution have been-

You have nothing to say that I care to read or hear. Time to thin out the gene pool. Have a crappy day.

I kinda feel weird when someone thanks me for my service, it's not necessary but some vets like it so I occasionally use it though most of the time all it takes is a look and a nod of acknowledgement.

The look and the nod should be enough. Real Vets can spot another one across the room and don't need the "Thanks for your Service" from each other.

You have nothing to say that I care to read or hear. Time to thin out the gene pool. Have a crappy day.

I didn't say I did- I just thought insulting yourself in public is not very flattering- and since you don't care what I say (or post) why bother commenting? What people like you fail to recognize is your arrogance makes you remain ignorant- it seems to be a cult of some kind run amok in the US-

All wars since the revolution? Why are you limiting yourself to just wars Americans were involved in? Is it some sort of American all bad thing? :dunno:

All wars since the revolution? Why are you limiting yourself to just wars Americans were involved in? Is it some sort of American all bad thing? :dunno:
Because I live here.

Because I live here.
Well the worlds a tad bit bigger than the end of your nose....... :eusa_whistle:

if we minded our own business those needs would not matter- there would be no American casualties if the US actually cared about the Military personnel and didn't serve the MIC.

So what ultimately happens when we practice isolationism while Russia and China continue to develop their military capabilities? You don't develop more advanced weapons systems, battlefield medicine, armor, etc. and just hope and pray they work when the time comes.

We now have the most advanced and strongest military in the world. The military technology created just within the last 15 years is far more advanced than anyone could have imagined in late 60's. The veteran who wrote that piece wouldn't have suffered his eye damage, had he had modern ballistic-protective goggles like the standard issue given to today's soldiers. It took war to develop those. Many of those advances in technology have also been utilized in the civilian world too.

Because I live here.
Well the worlds a tad bit bigger than the end of your nose....... :eusa_whistle:
My nose isn't the problem- the US sticking its nose where it doesn't belong is- I don't recall that as enumerated power- can you point it out to me?

Forum List

Back