A question and thoughts on race

should white be classified a race? I have never seen a white person,a truly white person.These so-called whites are really pinkish,if you know what I mean.

I'm olive.

Three cheers for the olive race. Woot woot woot. :rofl:

Oooh yuck. I should have read the urban dictionary entry on 'olive race' before I typed that. Ick.

should white be classified a race? I have never seen a white person,a truly white person.These so-called whites are really pinkish,if you know what I mean.

I'm olive.

Oooh yuck. I should have read the urban dictionary entry on 'olive race' before I typed that. Ick.

LOL. That's part of what makes all this so absurd. Those of us who are classified 'white', non-Hispanic, non-Jewish, on the census forms do or could have ancestry from any European nation, many western Asian nations, or many African nations. But there is absolutely no effort to separate those of French heritage from the Irish or the white South Africans.

And yet the 'white' race is a distinct minority among people's of the world. But nevertheless, the Census form separates out every possible ethnic group but those of us 'whites' who don't fall into any other group and lumps us all in together.

Personally, I think we would eliminate 99% of the racism in this country, and maybe could have a lot of positive influence in a lot of other places, if we didn't focus on race or ethnicity at all in our census, in our socioeconomic policy, and in our politics. Only by not making it a big deal will it ever become no big deal.

But there is absolutely no effort to separate those of French heritage from the Irish or the white South Africans.

I wonder why this is...
Because we don't have waves of Europeans flocking to our shores. I think it is probably of some value to know where people are coming from specifically....and the people that are coming share a Hispanic heritage.

But there is absolutely no effort to separate those of French heritage from the Irish or the white South Africans.

I wonder why this is...
Because we don't have waves of Europeans flocking to our shores. I think it is probably of some value to know where people are coming from specifically....and the people that are coming share a Hispanic heritage.

It was largely a sarcastic question. The reason that white South Africans aren't counted separately from the Irish or the French is that they're all genetically related. The white South Africans are the descendents of the Dutch, who are cousins of the French, who are second cousins, twice removed, of the Irish.

I wonder why this is...

It was largely a sarcastic question. The reason that white South Africans aren't counted separately from the Irish or the French is that they're all genetically related. The white South Africans are the descendents of the Dutch, who are cousins of the French, who are second cousins, twice removed, of the Irish.

And what peoples on Earth do not share a genetic heritage with other people's on Earth and yet still have their own ethnic identity noted on the census?

I wonder why this is...

:redface:

My Question is why do the have "Black, African Am., or Negro"

Black I can understand

Negro, Old racist term I thought, does not belong on the Form

African American? That infers you hold a dual citizenship

Do we need to further Change the Form to Say... European American, Australian American, Asian American, Antartican American, etc.

You are either an American or you are not, this African American crap is counter productive....

Black people (I'm using that term because there is nothing more appropriate) have a problem with their identity. Many of them carry a large chip on their shoulders about being pigeonholed, believing any 'group classification' to have potential negatives.

Black History Month
African American History Museum
National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
United Negro College Fund

The sooner black people figure out a place they are all comfortable with, the better off we will all be.

Or so a black person once confided to me.

I think that the above is an inaccurate generalization. How will "we" all be better off?

I'm olive.

I was always confused by the term for the skin color olive. I have see green olives and black olives but I never saw the color of the olive that "olive" people call themselves. Why not use beige or brown?

And what peoples on Earth do not share a genetic heritage with other people's on Earth and yet still have their own ethnic identity noted on the census?

Geneticists tend to refer to race as a construct based upon human beings evolving in enough isolation to develop specific identifiable characteristics.

The Irish, French, and Dutch didn't evolve in isolation from one another. They evolved TOGETHER and share many common links of ancestry and cultural/historical similarities.

I'm olive.

I was always confused by the term for the skin color olive. I have see green olives and black olives but I never saw the color of the olive that "olive" people call themselves. Why not use beige or brown?

It's about the undertones.

genetics testing is very accurate in determining the continental origins that match up with race. there is no doubt that race exists.

genetics testing is very accurate in determining the continental origins that match up with race. there is no doubt that race exists.

You are, of course, wrong.

what part are you disputing? that continental clusters have recognizable matrices of alleles and other genetic markers? or that genetic testing is able to differentiate them? or are you just putting your fingers in your ears, stomping your feet and shouting "there is no such thing as race!!!!"

There are those of us who simply acknowledge the scientific fact there is no such thing as ‘race.’

Unfortunately it does exist as a social, cultural, and political contrivance, forcing one to address what should be a non-issue.

This thread would be evidence of that.

Yet I'm hard-pressed to think of any other thing that doesn't exist that causes so much discussion and controversy.

Forum List

Back