A People’s History of Surfing

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
Not sure why I waited 33 years to try new things but I did. Surfing. It’s a vibe.

Not sure why I waited 33 years to try new things but I did. Surfing. It’s a vibe.

1657167647994.png
1657167680683.png

Big waves ten miles south of San Francisco.

I have never surfed. I don't particularly enjoy watching surfers.

When I lived in Redondo Beach, right across the street from the sand. I would get up early to watch the dolphins come to play with the surfers. They would splash, upend boards and laugh uproariously. They didn't come every day. It was special when they did.

It's not quite fair to say I didn't enjoy watching surfers. I am an avid fan of the surf dog competition. The expertise and enjoyment these competitors have is impressive. It makes me want to run down and throttle the protesters who think the dogs are being abused.

Surfing takes all kinds.

Great fun surfing in the late 1970s and early 80s. It will give you a good workout. I taught myself and it took some rough wipeouts until I got the hang of it. Surfers are mostly real sociable and it's a good way to meet people. :thup:

I used to surf. I learned back on Long Island in the 1970's, but good waves were sporadic, at best.

In the 80's I surfed in San Diego; La Jolla and Ocean Beach, specifically. I surfed the north shore of Hawaii once. Man, I'll never do that again.

I don't surf anymore. I actually get a kick out of the fact that we have surf shops here in northeastern Florida. There's almost no surfable waves ever.

High on my bucket list is to photograph surfers at Nazare, Portugal. The waves there are absolutely insane. It's said these are the largest surfable waves on the planet:

wsl-big-wave-nazare-hero-art

World record for the largest wave ever surfed:

Forum List

Back